Jump to content

Sportsnet JR interview regarding the playoffs


Recommended Posts

  • Jaimito changed the title to Sportsnet JR interview regarding the playoffs

Must re-sign to continue being competitive: 

Joshua, Bluegar, Hronek, Zadorav

Joshua gives us an element on the third line we have not had in a while. Bluegar although he’s been quiet would help solidify our center depth. Don’t think Raty will be ready right away, maybe 1 more year in the AHL. Don’t really have any other center prospects that are close to making the jump. Hronek/Zadorav solidify our dcore. 
 

Top 4 of Hughes, Hronek, Soucy,Zadorav, with Juulsen as the 6d. Sign one cheaper dman or maybe someone on the farm makes the jump.

 

 

 

Maybe re-sign: Desmith unless Silovs can make the jump as the back up

 

Don’t resign: Myers, Cole, Lafferty, Friedman, Lindholm 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Must re-sign to continue being competitive: 

Joshua, Bluegar, Hronek, Zadorav

Joshua gives us an element on the third line we have not had in a while. Bluegar although he’s been quiet would help solidify our center depth. Don’t think Raty will be ready right away, maybe 1 more year in the AHL. Don’t really have any other center prospects that are close to making the jump. Hronek/Zadorav solidify our dcore. 
 

Top 4 of Hughes, Hronek, Soucy,Zadorav, with Juulsen as the 6d. Sign one cheaper dman or maybe someone on the farm makes the jump.

 

 

 

Maybe re-sign: Desmith unless Silovs can make the jump as the back up

 

Don’t resign: Myers, Cole, Lafferty, Friedman, Lindholm 

 

Lafferty is a solid player. Might consider him over Blueger. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm glad he's not worried about Petey... I assumed perhaps a nagging injury but JR makes it sound like it's a mental thing. It's been a long, hard year playing at a very high level and combined with his contract situation that dragged on over the season, I wonder if Petey is just mentally drained. I would not be surprised to see him turn it up in the playoffs. If we have Demko, Hughes, and Petey all playing at a high level, we've got a shot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Lafferty is a solid player. Might consider him over Blueger. 

Lafferty has done jack all since the first half of the season. He got a couple of points and forgot his role. He'll be back in the AHL before he knows it

  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

JR: We do projections on a weekly basis. It almost gets tiring sometimes because we go over and over the same thing. But our projections cap-wise go out as far as the year we have to sign Quinn.

 

This gives us an insight how far out they are planning in terms of cap space, roster makeup etc. They are certainly not doing one and done kind of build.  

 

I also agree the team is better now (when healthy) than the first half even though they are scoring less. 

 

JR: I'm not concerned at all. I'm actually glad that we’ve dealt with some adversity. We’re definitely going to deal with some in the playoffs. But, you know this, this team did a lot of good work in the first half of the season. And I believe we have a better team now than we did in the first half. But we've dealt with certain issues. The (challenging) things that have happened to us are going to only help us in the future.

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

SN: Starting goalie Thatcher Demko (knee) has resumed practising, and Elias Lindholm (wrist) is also on this road trip. But with so few games remaining in the regular season, are you concerned you won’t have your best team ready for the playoffs?

 

JR: I'm not concerned at all. I'm actually glad that we’ve dealt with some adversity. We’re definitely going to deal with some in the playoffs. But, you know this, this team did a lot of good work in the first half of the season. And I believe we have a better team now than we did in the first half. But we've dealt with certain issues. The (challenging) things that have happened to us are going to only help us in the future.

 

SN: Speaking of challenges, what is happening with Elias Pettersson? As Tocchet has noted, Pettersson is not the only Canuck struggling to find his A-game. But he is easily the most talented and important one.

 

JR: Yeah, he's not himself, but he's still doing OK. It's going to go that way for players — different players at different times. This is something that he'll come out of. Sometimes when it doesn't go your way, you may press a little bit more and you're just not as relaxed and as comfortable. But he's a terrific player, and I'm certainly not concerned about where he's at.

 

SN: Is it too early to talk about UFAs? You have nine players on your roster eligible for unrestricted free agency and we know you’d like several of them back. How soon might we see some of your top UFAs re-signed?

 

JR: We don't feel that there is a panic to get them signed because I've always felt that if a player wants to play with a certain team, they're going to sign with them even if it's two days before free agency. Or even if it's after free agency (opens) if a player really wants to stay in Vancouver and play for the Canucks. But there's been talk with some of the agents of the players that we have now that if they come back to us and said they want to get signed, it's possible somebody could sign before the playoffs.

 

These three questions get to the heart of concern, adversity, challenges, Petey's play, and the panic that the media amplifies and drum beats with the FAs. 

 

JR, PA, and management are dialed into our issues in the right way. They're taking the right measured, non-emotional approach. The thing is, they understand that things ebb and flow - especially JR - and they know that how things are in the moment doesn't mean it's how how things will be tomorrow or next week. Nothing stays the same forever.

 

I'm glad he also addressed the issue of pressure and inexperience, which may be at the heart of Petey's play and how he feels and handles pressure. If that is the case ... my guess is that will get better with age, experience and maturity. Petey's actually one day closer to turning things around. When that will be, who knows, but it won't last forever. We've all seen that with him before. BUT ... at the end of the day ... he needs to get it together for the playoffs.

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

JR: We do projections on a weekly basis. It almost gets tiring sometimes because we go over and over the same thing. But our projections cap-wise go out as far as the year we have to sign Quinn.

 

This gives us an insight how far out they are planning in terms of cap space, roster makeup etc. They are certainly not doing one and done kind of build.  

 

I also agree the team is better now (when healthy) than the first half even though they are scoring less. 

 

JR: I'm not concerned at all. I'm actually glad that we’ve dealt with some adversity. We’re definitely going to deal with some in the playoffs. But, you know this, this team did a lot of good work in the first half of the season. And I believe we have a better team now than we did in the first half. But we've dealt with certain issues. The (challenging) things that have happened to us are going to only help us in the future.

No substitute for the benefit of experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Lafferty has done jack all since the first half of the season. He got a couple of points and forgot his role. He'll be back in the AHL before he knows it

Lafferty aside from his name reminding me of this kid Lafayette that shit the bed, isn't going back to the AHL.  He might not be back on this team, but he's going somewhere for a bit.   We don't need  to rue the day Lafferty missed an open net, until it matters.   So far he's just done his job.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Jaimito said:

JR: We do projections on a weekly basis. It almost gets tiring sometimes because we go over and over the same thing. But our projections cap-wise go out as far as the year we have to sign Quinn.

 

This gives us an insight how far out they are planning in terms of cap space, roster makeup etc. They are certainly not doing one and done kind of build.  

 

I also agree the team is better now (when healthy) than the first half even though they are scoring less. 

 

JR: I'm not concerned at all. I'm actually glad that we’ve dealt with some adversity. We’re definitely going to deal with some in the playoffs. But, you know this, this team did a lot of good work in the first half of the season. And I believe we have a better team now than we did in the first half. But we've dealt with certain issues. The (challenging) things that have happened to us are going to only help us in the future.

 

Yeah it's good to hear they are planning ahead and like you say not just a one and done. Can't really go further than QH's contract because we only have like 3 guys singed or something. Miller and Petey ... and maybe Hronek if he gets done.

 

I think people need to remember we've been assured of playoffs for months. Now that we're right at the end everything is being done to build for the playoffs. I would rather Petey is getting his mind straight and preparing how he sees fit to bring another level to his game. I would rather that than worrying about satisfying a few sad sack fans, who like to criticize anything and everything, like 85 point players.

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Must re-sign to continue being competitive: 

Joshua, Bluegar, Hronek, Zadorav

Joshua gives us an element on the third line we have not had in a while. Bluegar although he’s been quiet would help solidify our center depth. Don’t think Raty will be ready right away, maybe 1 more year in the AHL. Don’t really have any other center prospects that are close to making the jump. Hronek/Zadorav solidify our dcore. 
 

Top 4 of Hughes, Hronek, Soucy,Zadorav, with Juulsen as the 6d. Sign one cheaper dman or maybe someone on the farm makes the jump.

 

 

 

Maybe re-sign: Desmith unless Silovs can make the jump as the back up

 

Don’t resign: Myers, Cole, Lafferty, Friedman, Lindholm 

 

Blueger is your nice to have, not a need. Hronek and Zad are essential re-signs. Joshua you resign if the $$ is okay. He has chemistry with Garland, but is also 28 and done nothing previously. He could be fools gold on the UFA market, where we could get a similar player with consistent history for less.

 

I'd take a big run at Lindholm too, IF he is more reasonable on his reported ask. 6m/4yr sounds about right. The guy obviously has a serious wrist injury that has limited his shot to the point they aren't even playing him anymore. In addition, though people rag on him, I sure notice his absence every game. He just makes the simple plays to manage the game; no flash.

 

As for the #2 RHD spot; the cheaper of Cole, Myers, FA etc will do. I'd give Myers the nod at the right $ right now, as Cole sure has shown his age the last couple months. In the end, it is just a place holder role until we can get a developmental guy into the lineup in a couple years.

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

 

Yeah it's good to hear they are planning ahead and like you say not just a one and done. Can't really go further than QH's contract because we only have like 3 guys singed or something. Miller and Petey ... and maybe Hronek if he gets done.

 

I think people need to remember we've been assured of playoffs for months. Now that we're right at the end everything is being done to build for the playoffs. I would rather Petey is getting his mind straight and preparing how he sees fit to bring another level to his game. I would rather that than worrying about satisfying a few sad sack fans, who like to criticize anything and everything, like 85 point players.

Problem is that he is not getting his mind straight, and some of that has to do with the line juggling circus. If I were RT, I'd put him in a no lose situation right now; Lotto line or Dak-Pet-Garland come to mind. Give them rest by managing their minutes. Once he gets rolling, we can spread the wealth out again, but he looks lost right now.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Problem is that he is not getting his mind straight, and some of that has to do with the line juggling circus. If I were RT, I'd put him in a no lose situation right now; Lotto line or Dak-Pet-Garland come to mind. Give them rest by managing their minutes. Once he gets rolling, we can spread the wealth out again, but he looks lost right now.

 

Yeah the fact he's not coming out of it already is concerning to us fans but I wonder what his perspective is. I could see him being satisfied with the results the team is getting, even if his are underwhelming, and being solely focused on getting ready for the playoffs. Especially if he's nursing a little injury he may be just doing the bare necessity to get by. He really raised his game in the bubble, and his Swedish playoff performance was legendary. He has 6 games and 2 weeks to round into form.

 

I do like your idea of throwing the lotto line together but they may be saving it too at this point. His line-mates have been a revolving door. I think it really started unravelling when Lindholm arrived. The coaching staff really have to sort out the approach pretty quickly here as well.

 

33 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Blueger is your nice to have, not a need. Hronek and Zad are essential re-signs. Joshua you resign if the $$ is okay. He has chemistry with Garland, but is also 28 and done nothing previously. He could be fools gold on the UFA market, where we could get a similar player with consistent history for less.

 

I'd take a big run at Lindholm too, IF he is more reasonable on his reported ask. 6m/4yr sounds about right. The guy obviously has a serious wrist injury that has limited his shot to the point they aren't even playing him anymore. In addition, though people rag on him, I sure notice his absence every game. He just makes the simple plays to manage the game; no flash.

 

As for the #2 RHD spot; the cheaper of Cole, Myers, FA etc will do. I'd give Myers the nod at the right $ right now, as Cole sure has shown his age the last couple months. In the end, it is just a place holder role until we can get a developmental guy into the lineup in a couple years.

 

I think they'll try pretty hard for Joshua but I think we can get him on a reasonable deal. His injury has limited him to 28 points and he may feel some loyalty too to the group that showed him some belief.

 

Lindholm I just can't see as we have so little cap space. I think I'd rather focus on a 2RD along with Hronek, and a permanent winger for Petey. Now that we've committed to him we need to set him and the team up for success.

 

As far as that RD I don't like either of those guys. Myers is fine as a 3RD but we already have Juulsen for cheaper. Cole is a left shot D and I don't think that's palatable for Tocchet and company. I don't like the idea of planning on running a player out of position all year myself either. 

 

I like Cole coming back as 3LD instead of Zadorov due to money and term, but that argument is pretty common I think so I won't go further. I'm sure you're well aware of the trade-offs and our tight cap situation.

Edited by Gawdzukes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Blueger is your nice to have, not a need. Hronek and Zad are essential re-signs. Joshua you resign if the $$ is okay. He has chemistry with Garland, but is also 28 and done nothing previously. He could be fools gold on the UFA market, where we could get a similar player with consistent history for less.

 

I'd take a big run at Lindholm too, IF he is more reasonable on his reported ask. 6m/4yr sounds about right. The guy obviously has a serious wrist injury that has limited his shot to the point they aren't even playing him anymore. In addition, though people rag on him, I sure notice his absence every game. He just makes the simple plays to manage the game; no flash.

 

As for the #2 RHD spot; the cheaper of Cole, Myers, FA etc will do. I'd give Myers the nod at the right $ right now, as Cole sure has shown his age the last couple months. In the end, it is just a place holder role until we can get a developmental guy into the lineup in a couple years.

I agree with almost everything here. Blueger and Lafferty were nice pieces but I am confident JR and PA could find other UFAs at cheap that could perform as well. 
 

You re-sign Hronek and Zads, find another RD (I hear some talking about maybe Roy?), we need to let Myers and Cole both walk.

 

Joshua would be great too, and I think is an example of Power Forwards taking longer to develop. I don’t think he’ll regress much, but I don’t know we can afford him. See what the team can do, but may have to replace him.

 

lindholm I agree we need to try to re-sign at a good price like you suggested, otherwise he walks too.

Edited by NorthWestNuck
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2024 at 9:25 AM, Ralph. said:

Good to hear Joshua is a priority, as obvious as that may have already been.


SN: Is it fair to say that Dakota Joshua is at the top of your list?

 

JR: Yes, I would say he’s a priority for us.

 

love it

Strange to phrase the question like that. Not “one of the top” 

but I like the answer

If we could have two only of either Hronek Lindholm Zadorov or Joshua, who would you take?

 

 For me it would be either Joshua and Hronek, or Joshua and Zadorov 

 

we knew we needed a right shot D. We knew we needed another good D with size. Dak came out of nowhere almost and made us realize how much lacking we were in the role he brings. He created a solution to a problem we’d already accepted we’d probably not fill any time soon. That kind of power forward with hands is just as hard to find as any of the other three

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite response from JR!

 

What a guy!

 

"SN: Starting goalie Thatcher Demko (knee) has resumed practising, and Elias Lindholm (wrist) is also on this road trip. But with so few games remaining in the regular season, are you concerned you won’t have your best team ready for the playoffs?

 

JR: I'm not concerned at all."

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

My favorite response from JR!

 

What a guy!

 

"SN: Starting goalie Thatcher Demko (knee) has resumed practising, and Elias Lindholm (wrist) is also on this road trip. But with so few games remaining in the regular season, are you concerned you won’t have your best team ready for the playoffs?

 

JR: I'm not concerned at all."

 

Tells me there's been a plan for weeks and it's going well.

 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...