Jump to content

Canada Wins Gold!!!


Recommended Posts

Fantastic NEWS!!!! AND WELL DONE CANADA's WOMEN HOCKEY TEAM!!!!

 

News story --> https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canada-beats-u-s-in-overtime-to-win-women-s-hockey-world-final-1.6846825

 

Youtube Game Summary - exciting game, Canada had to come from behind twice, the USA three times. Hard fought and close all the way. 

 

 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Americans are younger, faster, and more talented than we are.  Apart from Sarah Fillier, all the best young stars in the game are American - Bilka, Heise, Harvey, Edwards...

 

And yet the Canadians found a way once again.  I underestimated their ability to gut it out.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • MillerTime 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

not too interested in worlds for women.. i rather watch pwhl because the competition is closer.. in women's hockey it's still canada/usa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rest of the world.. but nevertheless congrats to canada's women for winning gold

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rocket-68 said:

Fantastic NEWS!!!! AND WELL DONE CANADA's WOMEN HOCKEY TEAM!!!!

 

News story --> https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/canada-beats-u-s-in-overtime-to-win-women-s-hockey-world-final-1.6846825

 

Youtube Game Summary - exciting game, Canada had to come from behind twice, the USA three times. Hard fought and close all the way. 

 

 

Didn't watch the game, but holy smokes it looked like an insane game.  Lots of energy and passion on the ice!  

  • chaos 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Really wish there was a PWHL team in Vancouver.  No joke I'd follow them as close as I follow the Canucks.

 

Would be really fun to try to get into the womens game. I'd love to try following them and see how much I could get into it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

not too interested in worlds for women.. i rather watch pwhl because the competition is closer.. in women's hockey it's still canada/usa>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>rest of the world.. but nevertheless congrats to canada's women for winning gold

 

I can't help but think an expanded PWHL can only help parity on an international level.  As more teams and roster spots open up here in North America, more of the best women from around the World will likely get spots.  And that will in turn help their own national programs get better.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

The Americans are younger, faster, and more talented than we are.  Apart from Sarah Fillier, all the best young stars in the game are American - Bilka, Heise, Harvey, Edwards...

 

And yet the Canadians found a way once again.  I underestimated their ability to gut it out.

 

 

But they don't have a Poulin!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

 

I can't help but think an expanded PWHL can only help parity on an international level.  As more teams and roster spots open up here in North America, more of the best women from around the World will likely get spots.  And that will in turn help their own national programs get better.

personally i don't think it will ever grow.. the biggest reason being men's hockey.. there's so many leagues around that they can at the very least make enough for a living.. women's hockey i don't think there's much leagues/sponsorship that will pay them enough to make a living.. it's not like you can work a day time job and then go train and play hockey at night.. it's almost like women's hockey only the priviledge would be able to afford to go pro and play/practice full time.. the sports itself cost an insane amount just for equipments.. not everyone can afford it and prolly not on the top of most families list to buy for girls

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Theo5789 said:

But they don't have a Poulin!

 

They have Hillary Knight who looks completely washed for Boston.

 

Poulin is just weird.  She hadn't scored all tournament long and then netted two in the past game.  She is like... the Justin Williams (Mr. Game 7) of women's hockey.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

personally i don't think it will ever grow.. the biggest reason being men's hockey.. there's so many leagues around that they can at the very least make enough for a living.. women's hockey i don't think there's much leagues/sponsorship that will pay them enough to make a living.. it's not like you can work a day time job and then go train and play hockey at night.. it's almost like women's hockey only the priviledge would be able to afford to go pro and play/practice full time.. the sports itself cost an insane amount just for equipments.. not everyone can afford it and prolly not on the top of most families list to buy for girls

The PWHL could be the turning point if it can survive. Will fans pay to watch at the cost required to maintain their cost structure? The NHL is getting cost prohibitive for so many fans. Women's hockey has improved so much, even in the past 5 years. The Canadian Team used to struggle playing against top bantam teams. 2 years ago they played Cranbrook and Trail in the BCJ and did well. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

personally i don't think it will ever grow.. the biggest reason being men's hockey.. there's so many leagues around that they can at the very least make enough for a living.. women's hockey i don't think there's much leagues/sponsorship that will pay them enough to make a living.. it's not like you can work a day time job and then go train and play hockey at night.. it's almost like women's hockey only the priviledge would be able to afford to go pro and play/practice full time.. the sports itself cost an insane amount just for equipments.. not everyone can afford it and prolly not on the top of most families list to buy for girls

Pro sports outside of the highest level don't tend to be profitable for the owners even in the big 4 in North America not every team makes a profit.  The positive for women's hockey is Most of the north American players are university educated as that's where there development path takes them.  If they have the ability to play pro they can also likely attract a part time career to subsidize the other parts of their life.  Hopefully their new league is stable and the game can grow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, HKSR said:

Really wish there was a PWHL team in Vancouver.  No joke I'd follow them as close as I follow the Canucks.

I think this will happen, they need a few years to really establish and keep travel costs low. I think in the next 5 or 6 years, we'll see it happen with more NHL league owners getting involved to help them grow.

 

Ultimately, the more women's hockey grows and expands, the more demand there will be for NHL as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think this will happen, they need a few years to really establish and keep travel costs low. I think in the next 5 or 6 years, we'll see it happen with more NHL league owners getting involved to help them grow.

 

Ultimately, the more women's hockey grows and expands, the more demand there will be for NHL as well.

 

The first expansion teams will be in Michigan and Illinois.  Easy choice.  Pennsylvania maybe - Pittsburgh>Philly.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2024 at 7:47 PM, Miss Korea said:

The Americans are younger, faster, and more talented than we are.  Apart from Sarah Fillier, all the best young stars in the game are American - Bilka, Heise, Harvey, Edwards...

 

And yet the Canadians found a way once again.  I underestimated their ability to gut it out.

 

I'm with you. I expected the Americans to win and was actually surprised that the round robin game was as close as it was.

 

Great response by TC in the gold medal game. Would have been nice to see MPP bury that breakaway chance, but a win is a win.

 

BTW: Edwards looks like she's going to be a force for a lot of years to come. Someone that big, with hands like that doesn't come along very often.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2024 at 7:41 PM, HKSR said:

Really wish there was a PWHL team in Vancouver.  No joke I'd follow them as close as I follow the Canucks.

 

I always assumed it was a travel thing. Most of the current teams are within driving distance, with Minny really being the only long haul.....

 

I think once the league is more established and on solid financial footing, we'll see expansion into the west.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

 

I always assumed it was a travel thing. Most of the current teams are within driving distance, with Minny really being the only long haul.....

 

I think once the league is more established and on solid financial footing, we'll see expansion into the west.

The travel cost is prohibitive for the west but it would be great to see. 

My 77 year old dad who has shit on women's sports forever absolutely loves the PWHL. We has a long chat my last visit about the skill level of the women's game continuing to get better and better. The physical play keeps going up with real heavy rub outs the norm now. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...