Jump to content

Slovakia’s Prime Minister Fico in life-threatening condition after being shot multiple times


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

I wonder if has anything to do with his support of Russia/Putin. 

Fico, Orban and Vucic are the only 3 heads of countries in Europe that are pro Putin.

I guess we will find out soon.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Unconfirmed reports are calling Juraj Cintula, Slovakian poet and a writer a suspected shooter of the PM.

This has not been confirmed by the police.

Not 007, Jason Bourne, black ops team, Leon, or Agent 47?   I guess movie assassins really don't exist.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Hopefully this brings Slovakia back to the civilized world without that piece of shit causing more problems.

Or it gives the justifications for the reactionaries to declare a national emergency and turn the country into a police state 

  • ThereItIs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, TheBearded1 said:

Not 007, Jason Bourne, black ops team, Leon, or Agent 47?   I guess movie assassins really don't exist.  

 

They likely do exist, but as the 'head' of the 'Treadstone' project, he said that people like Bourne aren't there simply to kill people; they're there to kill someone and no one will know who it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fico is a very polarizing figure who has been making big decisions on the direction of Slovakia - and lots of citizens disagree with his direction. 

 

Frankly, I think as the world seems to be dissolving where everyone is taking "sides" in various conflicts around the globe, the rate of assassination attempts on various leaders is going to go up. Twitter (X) has been alight with all sorts of propaganda and extremist viewpoints, and indicates to me a lot more people are taking an all-or-nothing approach to life and ideologies. 

 

I've never seen the world so fucked as it is today.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Reznor said:

Fico is a very polarizing figure who has been making big decisions on the direction of Slovakia - and lots of citizens disagree with his direction. 

 

Frankly, I think as the world seems to be dissolving where everyone is taking "sides" in various conflicts around the globe, the rate of assassination attempts on various leaders is going to go up. Twitter (X) has been alight with all sorts of propaganda and extremist viewpoints, and indicates to me a lot more people are taking an all-or-nothing approach to life and ideologies. 

 

I've never seen the world so fucked as it is today.

 

it comes in waves. We were like this in the 1930s, lots of people playing with extreme ideologies, they just didn't have the tweety.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

 

it comes in waves. We were like this in the 1930s, lots of people playing with extreme ideologies, they just didn't have the tweety.

 

Were we? I guess none of us were around to witness it, but I believe the proliferation of information sharing is proving to be a large detriment to stability.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Reznor said:

 

Were we? I guess none of us were around to witness it, but I believe the proliferation of information sharing is proving to be a large detriment to stability.

 

I was fortunate to be able to have discussions about the time with my grandparents who were. And of course reading history, etc.

 

Yep it was a crazy time, communism, fascism, capitalism all clashing all over the world. 

 

Yes we argue faster now, but its the same arguments.

  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2024 at 7:51 AM, Reznor said:

Fico is a very polarizing figure who has been making big decisions on the direction of Slovakia - and lots of citizens disagree with his direction. 

 

Frankly, I think as the world seems to be dissolving where everyone is taking "sides" in various conflicts around the globe, the rate of assassination attempts on various leaders is going to go up. Twitter (X) has been alight with all sorts of propaganda and extremist viewpoints, and indicates to me a lot more people are taking an all-or-nothing approach to life and ideologies. 

 

I've never seen the world so fucked as it is today.

 

I think it's actually no more than usual (opinion only, not based on real numbers or anything). The perception however seems to be magnified. Reading history books, there's several periods where it feels "fucked up" - 1914, 1939-1945, 1968, and there's also the 1980s in Canada with the FLQ. Honestly, extremist views are always going to be around. I think generally speaking, most people are not going to be prone to violence, although there's an alarming number of people who do.

 

Assassinations are not necessarily good, nor are they necessarily bad. They're just reactions. A lot of 'good' (I say this loosely) people get assassinated - Lincoln, Kennedy, so forth. And nothing really happens as a consequence. Society doesn't go downhill because everything generally balances out. I'm not SAYING that we should be okay with assassinations. I think we don't have to fear them either. We have lengthy wars that go beyond WW2, namely North and South Korea. And that's not talking about the Yugoslavian conflicts (1990s), as well as the Israel/Gaza ones (much much longer of a conflict).

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...