[Proposal] Blockbuster Trade around T. Demko

Posted (edited)

Love me some goalie controversy, after all, we've been trained since Luongo - Schneider days!

With all due respect, as apparent by my name, huge fan of Demko, but not married to any player if we can improve our team.

Curious as to see if you fellow canucknuckle heads would do the below scenario, obviously taking a leap of faith with Silovs.

Scenario 1

Vancouver Canucks:

Thatcher Demko

Ilya Mikheyev

Toronto Maple Leafs:

Mitch Marner

Scenario 2

Vancouver Canucks:

Thatcher Demko

Carolina Hurricanes:

Seth Jarvis

Bradley Nadeau / Scott Morrow

Edited by T. Demko

• T. Demko changed the title to [Proposal] Blockbuster Trade around T. Demko

So short sighted, overrating of Silovs. I'm glad Silovs was able to step in and play. He was ok. Above average. Didn't make any big saves in key moments that would have kept us into games we were down. And the hard cold numbers of GAA2.91.SV%898. 

That aside, your trade proposals are laughable. Goalies do not get much in the trade market. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

So short sighted, overrating of Silovs. I'm glad Silovs was able to step in and play. He was ok. Above average. Didn't make any big saves in key moments that would have kept us into games we were down. And the hard cold numbers of GAA2.91.SV%898. 

That aside, your trade proposals are laughable. Goalies do not get much in the trade market. 

Aren't you a ray of sunshine. Off season, proposal thread, having some fun and obviously not running Demko out of town. As mentioned, this is theoretical if anyone is willing to take a leap of faith.

Top goalies, especially Vezina candidates are rarely traded, hence the historical recent values. That being said, Carolina and Toronto are a goalie away from being a serious contender. I don't see Bob or Hellebuyck being entertained. Both teams need to make a serious go at it, so overpayment for a Vezina candidate goalie who has proven playoff performance (albeit in the bubble) is not overly farfetched. We don't have to trade Demko, but they need to trade for a goalie, hence the scale tipping to our favor.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T. Demko said:

Aren't you a ray of sunshine. Off season, proposal thread, having some fun and obviously not running Demko out of town. As mentioned, this is theoretical if anyone is willing to take a leap of faith.

Top goalies, especially Vezina candidates are rarely traded, hence the historical recent values. That being said, Carolina and Toronto are a goalie away from being a serious contender. I don't see Bob or Hellebuyck being entertained. Both teams need to make a serious go at it, so overpayment for a Vezina candidate goalie who has proven playoff performance (albeit in the bubble) is not overly farfetched. We don't have to trade Demko, but they need to trade for a goalie, hence the scale tipping to our favor.

Don't worry, I already complimented your trade proposal is laughable. 

I think as Canucks fans we continue to over-value our players. Can't imagine the Demko trades as proposed would be viewed as realistic. That said I have no idea what a fair trade would look like at this stage.

I think Demmer would likely fetch a significant return, but I also think that it's a bit early to be deciding that Arty is ready to take over the starter's position full time.

He had an excellent playoff, especially considering that he was the 3rd string goalie going in, but you can't make a snap judgement on a player because of a two week hot streak.

Silovs is an exciting prospect, but he's still just a prospect. Demko is a Vezina candidate and I think it would be premature to decide he's not needed any more.

• Cheers 2

I actually agree with @RupertKBD on this.......but in say this............ @T. Demko, how about this............

E. Pettersson (F)

T. Demko (G)

for

B. Tkachuk

A. Zub

2024-1st (7th OA) either LD Sam Dickenson or RD Zane Parekh

Now that is a shake up and a big trade!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 5/23/2024 at 8:50 AM, RupertKBD said:

I think Demmer would likely fetch a significant return, but I also think that it's a bit early to be deciding that Arty is ready to take over the starter's position full time.

He had an excellent playoff, especially considering that he was the 3rd string goalie going in, but you can't make a snap judgement on a player because of a two week hot streak.

Silovs is an exciting prospect, but he's still just a prospect. Demko is a Vezina candidate and I think it would be premature to decide he's not needed any more.

There is no question Demko is miles ahead of Silovs and not comparable at the moment, and going on Silovs boat based off a small sample game is premature, hence why I did state its a major leap of faith. However, I have huge confidence in Ian Clark 😉

It definitely is a big risk big reward type (could also pan out the other way, I understand). Toronto is already heavily rumored to shop Marner around, and Carolina is also desperate for a goalie and their window is closing.

On 5/23/2024 at 9:51 AM, JIAHN said:

I actually agree with @RupertKBD on this.......but in say this............ @T. Demko, how about this............

E. Pettersson (F)

T. Demko (G)

for

B. Tkachuk

A. Zub

2024-1st (7th OA) either LD Sam Dickenson or RD Zane Parekh

Now that is a shake up and a big trade!

That's a huge blockbuster and not sure if such trades are realistically happening, but love me some Brady for sure. That is the exact type of player we need in our roster. Not too sold on Zub's durability though, although I like the profile you're targeting. 

• Cheers 1

On 5/23/2024 at 10:41 AM, flickyoursedin said:

Canucks are tight to the cap if they’re moving Demko out try to get young cheap guys that can compete now! I’d look at Nemec in NJ or the disgruntled Jiricek+ others out of CLB.

Love Nemec, but we do need a legitimate top 6 winger that can be a staple to Petey's wing right now. Enough of Mik!

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR knows we need three guys playing healthy to win the Cup: Hughes, Petey, and Demko. Zero chance we trade any of these three. Unless it’s Petey and the return is Jack and Luke Hughes. 

100% agree the 3 guys mentioned, healthy and producing as expected, would have gotten us to the Finals at the very least. The Hughes playing on the same team is also something I would love to see... but I think NJD says no to even a Jack -> EP swap right now.

On 5/25/2024 at 10:13 AM, Alflives said:

JR knows we need three guys playing healthy to win the Cup: Hughes, Petey, and Demko. Zero chance we trade any of these three. Unless it’s Petey and the return is Jack and Luke Hughes. 

Ive been saying this the past month u bring the brothers to van jersey is thirsty for a tendy demmer is american u package petey and demko going out east 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TopCheese said:

Ive been saying this the past month u bring the brothers to van jersey is thirsty for a tendy demmer is american u package petey and demko going out east 

Petey + Demko for Jack and Luke? 
How much fun would the discussion on here be if that actually happened? 

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey + Demko for Jack and Luke? 
How much fun would the discussion on here be if that actually happened? 

I'd hope to get a bit more back from the Devils- not a lot more, but a bit.

Petey and Jack are close enough , but Demko and Luke are not the same value.

That said I'd probably do the deal.

Then dish Hronek off to someone, and have Luke lead the second pairing- something that Hronek seemed to have trouble doing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'd hope to get a bit more back from the Devils- not a lot more, but a bit.

Petey and Jack are close enough , but Demko and Luke are not the same value.

That said I'd probably do the deal.

Then dish Hronek off to someone, and have Luke lead the second pairing- something that Hronek seemed to have trouble doing.

Damn wouldn’t it be beyond fun to get the three Hughes boys here? 
I wonder if Jack and Luke see Quinn playing in our rabid hockey market and wish they could play in a market like that too?  I think our board would literally explode if we got those two boys. 

• Upvote 1