The real needs of the Canucks (discussion)

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone, I thought I would open up a discussion page, so we can talk about this, here............

IMO, the Oilers had it too easy going to the Vancouver net, and they spent too much time, going around Canuck dmen. Sadly, I thought that they really forced this on Quinn Hughes, and we did not really have an answer for the Oilers big guns. I thought the team defense was decent, but as you go higher in the playoffs, you need to be better. I thought that Hughes was a little beat up, by the end of the series.

So here is my thoughts.....please add in.

I know everyone likes Tanev, but I am thinking we need that Zadorov type of Damn for Hughes on the first pairing. Someone with a little more skill, but with the same tenacity. I like Cernak out of Tampa Bay. I feel he might be available, as Tampa looks to have a lot of players aging out. IMO, I think that is the type of player, Hughes needs along side him. Personally, I would resign Hronek, if the deal was right. Somewhere around 6.75 million per, is what I would think. I do not think that is unreasonable. But certainly, I am going big, on all Dman that are to be added. I also would like to add that Myers played a great series, but I am not re-signing him. IMO, the 5/6 Dman needs to come in about 2 million, not much more. I would seriously add Willander if he shows he can play. It would help our cap, and he would be in his Draft +2 season. Certainly not unheard of. But I want to get Hughes a big mother fker to help him out!

As for the forwards, IMO, we need another "Driver", someone who can play alongside Pettersson and take the pressure off of him, and set him up! Someone to do the heavy loads, and also maybe just be a little bit of a body guard for Petie. I thought Pettersson's last game of the Oilers series was his best, and he was playing physical, but I can see that, if he were to play that way all the time, he will need someone to stick up for him, and still be talented enough to carry play. I am not sure who that is, but I am open to suggestions!

So to summarize, Big Dman for Hughes, and a Driver of play for Pettersson......

Idea's?

Edited by JIAHN
  • Haha 1

They offered Hronek 8 years at 6.75 mill his agent turned it down and the rumours are they want 8 mill a year. I mean I like Cernak and he’d be a great get but I thought our defence was fine. If we could just score on the PP we’d still be playing right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

We need Zads back.  Juulsen looks to be in that third spot.  

Need to find replacement for Hronek if he won't listen to reason on his contract.  He has never put up a season that says $8M player, half a season sure but never any more than that.

We need some speed, size and scoring on the wing badly.  Dak is necessary and not sure why everyone has written him off this offseason.

We only have 2 NHL centres under contract, that is an issue.

We need our main core players to show up in playoffs next year.  That wasn't acceptable this year.

• Cheers 1

Hronek at $7.25 million or less or qualify and trade him.

Zadorov at $5.15 million x5 years give or take $300k.

Joshua at $2.75 million x3 years.

Mikheyev retained on and traded or bought out.  Preference to being retained and traded alone, or traded as a package with someone like Hornek if he is unappealing alone with retention.

Lindholm offered an extension of $6.85 million with 5-7 years in term or $7.25 for a single year with no NTC.  Otherwise rights traded immediately.

Myers offered extension of $2.25 million and 2-3 years term.  See if he really loves Vancouver or not.

Blueger offered  extension $1.4 million 2 years.

Suter offered extension $1.4 million 2 years.

Cole offered extension $1.5 million 2 years

Release or walk:  DeSmith, Lafferty, Freidman.

This saves a few dollars via lower cap on Myers, Cole and role players Suter, Blueger and covers increases for Lindholm, Hronek and Zadorov should they accept.

This also helps avoid the additional increase in OEL's dead cap.  Allowing Podkolzin, Raty, Bains and or Klimovich to play greater time in the big leagues.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Hronek at $7.25 million or less or qualify and trade him.

Zadorov at $5.15 million x5 years give or take $300k.

Joshua at $2.75 million x3 years.

Mikheyev retained on and traded or bought out.  Preference to being retained and traded alone, or traded as a package with someone like Hornek if he is unappealing alone with retention.

Lindholm offered an extension of $6.85 million with 5-7 years in term or $7.25 for a single year with no NTC.  Otherwise rights traded immediately.

Myers offered extension of $2.25 million and 2-3 years term.  See if he really loves Vancouver or not.

Blueger offered  extension $1.4 million 2 years.

Suter offered extension $1.4 million 2 years.

Cole offered extension $1.5 million 2 years

Release or walk:  DeSmith, Lafferty, Freidman.

This saves a few dollars via lower cap on Myers, Cole and role players Suter, Blueger and covers increases for Lindholm, Hronek and Zadorov should they accept.

This also helps avoid the additional increase in OEL's dead cap.  Allowing Podkolzin, Raty, Bains and or Klimovich to play greater time in the big leagues.

Values look good on Joshua and Zads.

Blueger likely not taking a pay cut after good season for him.

About 2M short on Lindholm

would walk on Myers and maybe Cole.  Suter either way. 
Rumours were Hronek was traded from Detroit because of salary demands, I tend to favour trade for a D or centre if he can’t/won’t come down to reasonable number. 

• Cheers 1

I just want to ask...is this a good swap....

Cernak for Hronek straight up?

I am think O for D

and cap savings? Long term, i think it is a good idea...

What do you think?

I would prioritize Lindholm and Zadorov.

Zadorov likely won't have an offensive burst like he did these playoffs, but his grit is needed.

Lindholm is great on faceoffs and can move up to 2nd line if needed. Then we just need one more top 9 forward to complete the team.

Might have to move on from Hronek, but we could get some good pieces for him.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I just want to ask...is this a good swap....

Cernak for Hronek straight up?

I am think O for D

and cap savings? Long term, i think it is a good idea...

What do you think?

I'd try to do this in a more roundabout way, trade Hronek to Buffalo for their 1st rounder (they have no top 4 RHD), and then use that cap space to land someone like Roy or DeMelo for Hughes, and again use the saved cap to re-up big Z.

I'd be fine with Myers again in anything in the 2's. 

39 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd try to do this in a more roundabout way, trade Hronek to Buffalo for their 1st rounder (they have no top 4 RHD), and then use that cap space to land someone like Roy or DeMelo for Hughes, and again use the saved cap to re-up big Z.

Interesting angle. Probably a win/win for us. I do think you pay top dollar for the type of the player we want. To clarify, we want above average, and big. At least in the 210 to 215 lb minimum. with some height. We have to get bigger, Bob. As for Myers...yes, in the mid to low 2's

52 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I would prioritize Lindholm and Zadorov.

Zadorov likely won't have an offensive burst like he did these playoffs, but his grit is needed.

Lindholm is great on faceoffs and can move up to 2nd line if needed. Then we just need one more top 9 forward to complete the team.

Might have to move on from Hronek, but we could get some good pieces for him.

Not to mention Zad's incredible character! 

• MillerTime 1

23 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Interesting angle. Probably a win/win for us. I do think you pay top dollar for the type of the player we want. To clarify, we want above average, and big. At least in the 210 to 215 lb minimum. with some height. We have to get bigger, Bob. As for Myers...yes, in the mid to low 2's

true, but Roy does come in a 6-1, 200 so thats not small. But I agree, bigger is better.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

Not to mention Zad's incredible character! 

Zadorov is a bottom pairing D. There is no chance he plays ahead of Hughes and Soucy. Let another club foolishly overpay for Zadorov.,

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Zadorov is a bottom pairing D. There is no chance he plays ahead of Hughes and Soucy. Let another club foolishly overpay for Zadorov.,

well, there is certainly no argument with Hughes...obviously. But I am not sold 100% on Soucy...for one thing, he is injury prone.  I think the value of Zad far outwaus the value of Soucy!

1 minute ago, JIAHN said:

well, there is certainly no argument with Hughes...obviously. But I am not sold 100% on Soucy...for one thing, he is injury prone.  I think the value of Zad far outwaus the value of Soucy!

Soucy and zadorov are both keepers!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JIAHN said:

D Petey will push for our bottom pairing next season. No room for Zadorov. 
Hughes

Soucy

D Petey/Cole

Hronek

?

Myers

Juulsson

This will be our D. We need a second pairing RSD. Z is 100% gone. 

I see us signing Lindholm though. He will cost a similar dollar to an elite winger (Guentzel). Better to have the Right Shot Centre. Then Tocchet can play Petey on wing or at centre. Miller too can be a fabulous winger or a great centre. 

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Buffalo would be D heavy.  They have Dahlin making $11M and Powers making $8.35M.  Byram will be needing a raise after next year if he progresses.  Can’t see Buffalo wanting more expensive defenceman.

50 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Huh?  

to me Z is a 3-4 and Soucy is a 5.  

29 minutes ago, BPA said:

Buffalo would be D heavy.  They have Dahlin making $11M and Powers making $8.35M.  Byram will be needing a raise after next year if he progresses.  Can’t see Buffalo wanting more expensive defenceman.

Sure but they have no top 4 rhd. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Sure but they have no top 4 rhd. 

A lot of their D can play both sides too. They have 4 top 4 D when healthy already too. They are counting on Samuelsson to bounce back from injury, they recently shot down any trade interest as rumors were spreading of teams interested in him even despite his injury-riddled season. 

Their goals for and against are both below the league average. Meaning they were better defensively than they were offensively. They are probably looking to get some more offence around their young players. They took a big step back offensively this year and improved defensively from the prior year. 

Sens are looking to do major shakeups with their roster and D-core. 

• Like 1

Real needs for the Canucks is trying to find surplus value in contracts. Sad to say Dakota Joshua the money just can’t be there so we gotta find the next Dakota Joshua! I’m going to throw a name out there and it’s funny because it’s another St Louis Blues player and it’s Sammy Blais! Blais with picks was traded for Pavel Buchnevich only a couple seasons ago because he showed a lot of promise. Injuries have tanked his value a bit but I think he’d be a great add.

While I’m at it if Bleuger is expensive I’d look at Tomas Nosek (6’2” really good FO numbers) only problem is he doesn’t hit a lot but I’d rather the positive FO aspect and keeping the puck.