[Proposal] Some Tough Decisions, but an Overall Improvement

Trade #1

To WPG
Filip Hronek

To VAN

Dylan Demelo (pending UFA, so caveat is VAN is permitted to speak to Demelo to negotiate an extension before trade happens)

2nd Round Pick

WPG gets a top pairing RHD that could help to elevate Morrissey's game the way Hughes benefited from Hronek's offensive acumen.  They also get a bit younger in their top pair.

Demelo is a solid defensive defenceman kinda like Tanev.  Would help stabilize our D group some more.  Key here is Demelo's cap hit would likely be $5M or less.

Trade #2

To VGK

Nils Hoglander

To VAN

William Karlsson

VGK will be desperate to shed some cap as they're already tight against it.  They face the real possibility of losing Marchessault and Stephenson.  I suspect if they can bring in a player like Hoglander for Karlsson, they would be happy to save $4.8M in cap space to do so.

VAN buys low on Karlsson due to the cap restraints on VGK.  We acquire a true top 6 forward with playoff pedigree.

Trade #3

To OTT

2nd Round Pick (from WPG trade above)

To VAN

Mark Kastelic

At 6'4" 223lbs and can skate like the wind (fastest skater in OTT's skills competition), this RH centre is also very strong defensively and hits hard and often.  The perfect 4th line centre for us.  Brings some serious grit and sandpaper back into the lineup from losing Dakota Joshua <gasp> (see below).

OTT adds a high 2nd round pick here (this is MTL's 2nd round pick).

Trade #4

TRADE MIKHEYEV FOR A BAG OF PUCKS... JUST USE SWEETENERS.  WE'RE CONTENDING NOW.  WE DON'T NEED FUTURES.  WE NEED TO WIN NOW.

Free Agency:

Dakota Joshua walks ... yes.  This hurts, and is a tough decision, but the cost is too much for the Canucks as he will likely want close to $4M AAV.  Kastelic will make up for it.

Teddy Blueger returns at $1.75M x 2.

Tyler Myers signs a 1 year deal at the same cap hit as Ian Cole had.

Elias Lindholm returns at $7.25M x 8!

Nikita Zadorov returns at $5.25M x 6!

The beauty of all of this is the amount of cap space to work with in the worst of OEL's buyout years. 

image.thumb.png.5385b1353328c7e3c6bdd8087f3fd8f1.png

Check out the lines for next year!

Karlsson-Lindholm-Pettersson

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Blueger-Garland

PDG-Kastelic-Karlsson

Hughes-Demelo

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy-Juulsen

• Like 1

I would love that first line!  Not sure we are improving the bottom 9 much if at all? However I know nothing about Kastelic.  The D looks okay but again not moving the needle much as far as improvement?

Your cap work looks very promising going forward. 

What you're not taking into account here is prospects showing well at next training camp and stealing a spot on the big team, and becoming impact players.  Could change this lineup a great deal if we have one or two of (D-Petey, Woo, Baines, Klimovich).  All this hoping is just that and hard to predict, so I understand why you chose not to speculate about the absolute unknowns. 

Overall I like your train of thought. Personally, I'd rather find a way to get Pesce as a first choice for Hughes over Demelo, but may be cost prohibited. Regardless, Allvin and Co haven't been shy about making bold moves to make this team better so expecting some dramatic and juicy trades and siging to talk about very soon! 

If we could only get a 2nd for Hronek I would be very disappointed. I wouldn't consider early negotiation rights of much value. If we want Demelo, we can have him for just the cost of the contract on July 1st.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

16 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

If we could only get a 2nd for Hronek I would be very disappointed. I wouldn't consider early negotiation rights of much value. If we want Demelo, we can have him for just the cost of the contract on July 1st.

No, Jets wouldn't let Demelo go if they didn't have a replacement.  Demelo is their key RHD.  We're basically getting Demelo and a 2nd for Hronek.

21 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I would love that first line!  Not sure we are improving the bottom 9 much if at all? However I know nothing about Kastelic.  The D looks okay but again not moving the needle much as far as improvement?

Your cap work looks very promising going forward. 

What you're not taking into account here is prospects showing well at next training camp and stealing a spot on the big team, and becoming impact players.  Could change this lineup a great deal if we have one or two of (D-Petey, Woo, Baines, Klimovich).  All this hoping is just that and hard to predict, so I understand why you chose not to speculate about the absolute unknowns. 

Overall I like your train of thought. Personally, I'd rather find a way to get Pesce as a first choice for Hughes over Demelo, but may be cost prohibited. Regardless, Allvin and Co haven't been shy about making bold moves to make this team better so expecting some dramatic and juicy trades and siging to talk about very soon! 

I think Kastelic is a big improvement over Aman.  He's a bigger, faster, stronger Aman.

The D likely is better defensively with Demelo over Hronek.

And yes, you're right, I didn't include any absolute unknowns.  The hope is 1 or 2 of our prospects make the jump.  Would dramatically change our outlook. 

I'm just trying to navigate the coming season while also opening up as much cap flexibility as possible for the 2 bad years of OEL's buyout.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No, Jets wouldn't let Demelo go if they didn't have a replacement.  Demelo is their key RHD.  We're basically getting Demelo and a 2nd for Hronek.

He's a UFA. The Jets don't get to decide anything, he does. 

Kastelic looks interesting...

Edited by fuzzy

2 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

He's a UFA. The Jets don't get to decide anything, he does. 

Kastelic looks interesting...

I just don't think the Jets would let him walk to UFA unless they had a replacement.  They'll pay what's needed to keep him.

Kastelic is very interesting.  Did I mention he was 54% on the dot this year?  As a RH centre?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I just don't think the Jets would let him walk to UFA unless they had a replacement.  They'll pay what's needed to keep him.

Kastelic is very interesting.  Did I mention he was 54% on the dot this year?  As a RH centre?

If he was an rfa that might make sense, but he's not. Why waste assets when you don't have to?

Nice catch on Kastelic! He could be a nice pick up.

Edited by fuzzy

Kastelic is intriguing, but if we're trading Hronek it'll either be for futures (more than a 2nd), or for a winger for Petey. Not sure Vegas bites on Höglander for Karlsson straight across either. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

DeMelo has already talked about listening to teams during UFA. So either Winnipeg has not offered a contract, or he wants to see what his value is on the open market, or does not want to resign. A second and negotiating rights are not a good enough return. Negotiating rights, Ehlers and a 2nd maybe.

Hronek alone should get you an A prospect and a 1st round pick minimum. 

• ThereItIs 1

I don't know what Zadorof will be looking for, probably way too much to start, but hopefully the sides get together and work it out.

Toughness is imperative, and he's it. Maybe his style of play continues to rub off on others;

I'd say four mill but that may be light. Four and a half is reasonable.

Blueger is coming off of a better season than when he signed his previous contract, so I'm thinking he will be looking for a bit of a raise. I would guess somewhere in the 2.2 to 2.5 mil range. Looks like you left enough wiggle room in there for this to not be a problem though.

I agree that the bottom 6 needs more speed/size/grit so the addition of Kastelic would be a good one IMO.

I would probably rather keep Hoglander and use the money saved elsewhere.

Kastelic is a very similar type of player to MacEwan with a little more speed, but there are some issues between the ears for him. I don’t hate the idea of getting him, but I think we give up a bit too much for a player you can sign in free agency. 

Hronek should be getting another asset+. Negotiating rights are not worth more than a late round pick because there’s no guarantee it leads to anything. Hronek is a top 15 RHD in the league, and given how premium his position is I’d only deal him to Winnipeg if we can pry Ehlers out (who’s rumoured to be available). 

Karlsson is also a product of the system he’s in, and I don’t think he maintains his point scoring after coming here. I think he’s more of a second line player at this point, although he’s phenomenal defensively. I just don’t think there’s much reason to have both him and Lindholm on the same team since they do the same job. 

Ultimately though, I don’t hate the direction of this proposal. I think the time to take risk is now, and that with a few calculated risks we could be a top contender next year. 

5 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Rather have the Pionkster. Still not enough for Hronek though. 

I like the possibilities these may bring. I do want to point out that we were very close this year. I would say 1 piece away (if that). Do we really want to blow everything up?

I have a separate approach if you may (in another thread) where we essentially keep the good but hardly add anything else. Why does this work? Well, it'll be another year of playing together for this young team.

Pros: strong down the middle, elite top pairing defensemen, excellent goaltending. Some space for young guns from Abby to step up.

Cons: still lacking a top six winger (or 2). We will have 6 NHL defensemen but thin if injuries hit.