Jump to content

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Kraken, Abbotsford Centre, October 4, 2023 @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #5


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

 

They aren't the only NHL team to utilize the same name for their affiliate but it's stupid that the others do as well. I really liked Abbotsford Aviators, even Abbotsford Millionaires would have been better. Aeros could have worked too. 

 

They could have gone with so many different names and themes, but no, they had to go with Abbotsford Canucks.

If your main goal is to market the minor league team, a different name is the way to go. But, if you want to market both the NHL and AHL teams as part of one entity, you go with the same name, which kind of makes sense when your AHL team is local.

plus, all your prospects in the minors are Canucks from day one, helps to build identity.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

 

Maybe so, but I'd be a lot more comfortable with McWard as the main partner than Juulsen. IMO Juulsen is not even a top paring guy at the AHL level. Makes so much more sense to go Hughes-Soucy and then rotate in Cole and Hronek every now and then so as to not overload Soucy. Have Wolanin as our 3LD with Myers.

 

Juulsen has put together two years now where he's looked fine at the NHL level in limited action. 

 

Out of the 15-20 games in the NHL, he has been solid in 80% of them and has made bad mistakes in 20% of them. 

 

Maybe I have lower expectations then you. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

 

Juulsen has put together two years now where he's looked fine at the NHL level in limited action. 

 

Out of the 15-20 games in the NHL, he has been solid in 80% of them and has made bad mistakes in 20% of them. 

 

Maybe I have lower expectations then you. 

 

Probably the case. I didn't mind giving him a chance, but very early on, I felt like he didn't provide anything to the team and that there were better options almost every time. When I watch him play in Abbotsford, I don't even feel like he's one of the best players. Woo was better last year and plays the same position and role and he was cut from the team. McWard is new, but in this camp, has been better than Juulsen IMO. Both guys are probably Abbotsford-bound and both are RD. By my assessment, that puts Juulsen at the bottom pairing in the AHL, which, admittedly, is both subjective and also more a factor of our deep defense than Juulsen's ineptitude.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

 

I've been to probably about 10 games, but honestly, I can't recall. I don't spend much time focusing on it. I could see it being a fun idea for playoff games, but I'm not sure they'd make too much just off regular season games.

 

In 2011 they did exactly this for the Stanley cup finals. I watched our boys lose game seven in a stadium that was about half full. 

 

I also like the idea for playoffs but think regular season would be a miss. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d always rather have Petey playing than be sick, but it’s just a preseason game, and having him out of the lineup does make for some interesting looks, with Studnicka as the 1C at 5v5, and Hronek sliding into PP1 on a 2D set with Hughes. Quite the opportunity for Studs, if these practice lines hold. Would be interesting to see what he does with the opportunity to play prime top-6 minutes with some high end wingers. And same goes for Hronek and him getting a chance to work the powerplay on the top unit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SISMIM said:

I’d always rather have Petey playing than be sick, but it’s just a preseason game, and having him out of the lineup does make for some interesting looks, with Studnicka as the 1C at 5v5, and Hronek sliding into PP1 on a 2D set with Hughes. Quite the opportunity for Studs, if these practice lines hold. Would be interesting to see what he does with the opportunity to play prime top-6 minutes with some high end wingers. And same goes for Hronek and him getting a chance to work the powerplay on the top unit.

Glad that the coaches are trying all of these different looks out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

 

 

Doubtful that it'll be better than with Petey, but still eager to see how this works. Will they keep the same structure and use Hughes in Petey's spot? Hronek can't take it in the same way since he's a righty. I'd be interested to see if they go the old school two-defensemen-on-the-point method.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

Juulsen experiment needs to die. He is not an NHL defenseman. 

 

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Juulsen performed just fine as a depth call up for us. He was pretty much mostly the guy that was called up when injury hit our D last season. With the small sample size of other Abby D guys, (Wolanin, Bris) and College agents, (Hirose, McWard) in the late season, in addition to seeing them in prospects games and training camp, we have more capable call ups and competition among them for a chance with the big club.

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

They may want to keep him around until they are absolutely sure McWard is ready to play a season

in the NHL.  It's putting a lot on a young player to jump into the NHL and play on the 1st D pairing.

 

Here's an interesting article on McWard...

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-mcward-performing-well-2023-preseason/

 

I also think that Bear is still in the running and may be signed after Christmas if there's

still an issue on the 1st pairing.  After all, Tocc keeps saying, the 'defence is by

committee,' so that may be how it goes for this season.


McWard does look good. I like what I've seen thus far in the Prospect's Tourney and in preseason. McWard seems a fast learner.

 

Regarding Bear; I'm impressed that the Canuck organization is in on his healing process from his WC even though they let him go to free agency by not resigning him. Perhaps management has plans to keep him around for some reason. I mean, he wasn't bad for us. And he is a RD that's a proven NHL'er compared to all the RD waivers recently out there.

 

2 hours ago, SISMIM said:

Happy to see the Canucks are continuing to experiment with Hughes-McWard, despite some of the local media’s negative comments last game:

 


McWard deserves a longer look, even after getting into some penalty trouble last game, and getting caught chasing on some extended shifts.

 

The kid still owns the best overall 5v5 underlying numbers (and second best, to Hronek, when it comes to relative rates) on the Canucks defence to-date for this preseason. 
 

And even that last game, where some media members were looking to cancel the McWard experiment, he still finished a +2 (and the Canucks won the game).

 

Kinda funny to see how quickly those media guys turned against the kid, and now how quickly they’re seemingly reversing their comments, after seeing the team stick with Hughes-McWard. 

 

I’m not saying McWard is “the answer.” But I’m definitely in favour of continuing to give him a look with Hughes this preseason. The overall results (over three games) have been far more positive than negative. 
 

Not sure why some in the media were so quick to jump on the kid. I guess negativity sells? Hopefully McWard proves them wrong with a very strong performance in his next game.

 

If McWard is not a lock on Huggy's right side, then at least he's a lock to be part of the "committee" on our D core. Yea. He had 3 penalties called on him last game.  I had suspicions on a couple of them. All a learning process in the faster paced NHL game. He is all of 22yrs old and with what I see so far, that's a major advantage for him. He does deserve a longer look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SISMIM said:

I’d always rather have Petey playing than be sick, but it’s just a preseason game, and having him out of the lineup does make for some interesting looks, with Studnicka as the 1C at 5v5, and Hronek sliding into PP1 on a 2D set with Hughes. Quite the opportunity for Studs, if these practice lines hold. Would be interesting to see what he does with the opportunity to play prime top-6 minutes with some high end wingers. And same goes for Hronek and him getting a chance to work the powerplay on the top unit.


Suppose the advantage to this is keeping the other three forward lines intact?

 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SISMIM said:

Happy to see the Canucks are continuing to experiment with Hughes-McWard, despite some of the local media’s negative comments last game:

 


McWard deserves a longer look, even after getting into some penalty trouble last game, and getting caught chasing on some extended shifts.

 

The kid still owns the best overall 5v5 underlying numbers (and second best, to Hronek, when it comes to relative rates) on the Canucks defence to-date for this preseason. 
 

And even that last game, where some media members were looking to cancel the McWard experiment, he still finished a +2 (and the Canucks won the game).

 

Kinda funny to see how quickly those media guys turned against the kid, and now how quickly they’re seemingly reversing their comments, after seeing the team stick with Hughes-McWard. 

 

I’m not saying McWard is “the answer.” But I’m definitely in favour of continuing to give him a look with Hughes this preseason. The overall results (over three games) have been far more positive than negative. 
 

Not sure why some in the media were so quick to jump on the kid. I guess negativity sells? Hopefully McWard proves them wrong with a very strong performance in his next game.


great post. Happy to see the experiment continue as well, and Hughes’ comments today were promising.

 

Edited by Huggy Bear
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...