Friedman Believes Capitals Interested In Canucks’ Kuzmenko

Story by Jesse Courville-Lynch, The Hockey Writers

image.png.bfab631023044199cebaff5c86a4772b.png
Friedman Believes Capitals Interested In Canucks’ Kuzmenko© Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports

The Washington Capitals have been surprisingly strong to start their 2023-24 campaign. With a 15-9-4 record through 28 games, they currently sit fifth in the Metropolitan Division and three points behind the Carolina Hurricanes, but have played four fewer games. Their captain, Alex Ovechkin, has struggled offensively this season for the first time in his career to start a new season, but the team seems to be rallying around him and has been successful even with his shocking lack of production.

While the team hasn’t been great offensively, it seems as though they have recently been looking for ways to change that and be a contender this season after missing the playoffs and winding up with the eighth overall selection in the draft. While the core of Ovechkin, John Carlson, and Tom Wilson is aging, and with Nicklas Backstrom unfortunately out for the season with a major injury, the Capitals have proven they don’t want to sit back and let another season go to waste, but they’d rather push for their second Stanley Cup in franchise history.

One player who has surprisingly been in and out of the lineup on his team is Vancouver Canucks forward Andrei Kuzmenko. He has been a healthy scratch several times this season and seems to be a player that head coach Rick Tocchet isn’t a fan of. Kuzmenko has six goals and has added 11 assists for 17 points through 29 games this season which is quite good for a player who has spent the majority of his time in the bottom six, but his play is still something the Canucks don’t seem to like.

If the Canucks don’t want to play him, that’s no issue for a Capitals team who will be looking to bolster their roster come the trade deadline. A connection between the two teams seems to have been made by Sportsnet insider Elliotte Friedman. But while he mentioned the Capitals had interest in Kuzmenko, he was quick to point out there may not be a fit due to salary cap issues and the Capitals’ lack of assets. Here is what he had to say about the Capitals and their potential interest in Kuzmenko:

“I’m just curious to see how you fix this. I think Washington is a team that’s looked around at Kuzmenko but I just don’t see a trade match there. It’s not like the Canucks are going to take Anthony Mantha. I just don’t know where this is going to sort itself out aside from the fact that you can’t have a guy making that salary playing 12 minutes a night. It doesn’t work in today’s cap system. We’ll see where it goes.”

– Elliotte Friedman (The Jeff Marek Show)

Friedman likely mentions Capitals’ forward Anthony Mantha for salary cap reasons, but the Canucks aren’t believed to have any interest in him. However, the Capitals have seemingly been happy with Mantha’s play as of late and don’t seem to be in a rush to move him unless they see an opportunity to upgrade the roster. Fortunately for the Capitals, they have plenty of time to decide what they’re going to do and who they’re going to target at the trade deadline, but it doesn’t seem like there is much of a chance Kuzmenko gets traded to the Capitals.

Hypothetical Kuzmenko Fit With The Capitals

While there doesn’t seem to be much of a chance of a Kuzmenko trade happening any time soon and almost no chance he becomes a Capital, let’s take a hypothetical look at where he would fit if the Capitals were to somehow pull off a monster trade with the Canucks to bring him in. Under the assumption that Mantha would have to be traded if Kuzmenko is brought in due to the money issues, Kuzmenko could slot into the second line alongside Aliaksei Protas and Connor McMichael.

While Capitals forward Evgeny Kuznetsov has been playing on the third line since he was a healthy scratch just a few games ago, his confidence and overall play could be rejuvenated playing alongside a fellow Russian player in Kuzmenko. Moving Kuznetsov up to the second line could be an option, but there is also the idea of spreading out the firepower and leaving him in the bottom six, which might be beneficial for the Capitals as a team.

Kuzmenko’s strength is his ability to produce offensively. The Capitals haven’t been the worst team in the NHL, but they have struggled offensively on some nights. Adding a guy like Kuzmenko who is coming off of a 74-point campaign in his first season in the NHL and may simply need a change of scenery could be huge for the Capitals, and he could become a difference-maker in the team’s quest for a Stanley Cup.

The only issue with this is the Canucks are also vying for a Stanley Cup this season. While Kuzmenko might be in Tocchet’s dog house because of internal issues with the team, whatever those may be, he is still a massive part of the Canucks and is a player who could help lead them to success in the postseason. With two contending teams potentially being trade partners, it becomes even harder to make a deal as neither one wants to give the other a better chance of winning, thus likely making any Kuzmenko deal to Washington close to impossible.

The Capitals will be buyers come the trade deadline if they keep playing well up until that point, but they will likely have to look in another direction as far as trying to improve their roster. Hopefully, they will make the right moves and have a Stanley Cup-contending team late in the season, and a roster that can help lead the Capitals to their second Stanley Cup in franchise history.

I'd consider taking Mantha, he's expiring cap, but Washington would have to add

They have three 2025 2nd's, could always trade Kuzmenko for Mantha+ and then pay to dump Mantha on a bottom feeder or just wait it out

Could open space for a more significant move if Allvin is inclined to make one

Would free up cap space, if Kuzmenko isn't in the top six it's not as if we'd be losing much

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd consider taking Mantha, he's expiring cap, but Washington would have to add

They have three 2025 2nd's, could always trade Kuzmenko for Mantha+ and then pay to dump Mantha on a bottom feeder or just wait it out

Could open space for a more significant move if Allvin is inclined to make one

Would free up cap space, if Kuzmenko isn't in the top six it's not as if we'd be losing much

Mantha is intriguing for sure, but I agree in expecting extra from the Caps, a mid pick perhaps, which could be used as the "payment" to free up cap space, if PA were so inclined to do so (by dumping him "on a bottom feeder")

PA is a master chess player, so if there is a potential Kuz deal in the works, we can rest assured that it would be something that could be parlayed in to something even better for the team

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Mantha is intriguing for sure, but I agree in expecting extra from the Caps, a mid pick perhaps, which could be used as the "payment" to free up cap space, if PA were so inclined to do so (by dumping him "on a bottom feeder")

PA is a master chess player, so if there is a potential Kuz deal in the works, we can rest assured that it would be something that could be parlayed in to something even better for the team

I think we could get a 2nd for giving them an upgrade, maybe a lesser pick too

I think such a trade would probably be contingent on them feeling they need the cap flex moving forward,  or having another move lined up 

Edited by Coconuts
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Seems unlikely a team would get that for a pending UFA

If Washington offered Chicago a 2nd and a 4th they'd probably take it 

That’s with Kuz included in the trade.

So Kuz for Mantha + 1st.

Or instead of a 1st, get prospect Cristall (local boy).

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

I think such a trade would probably be contingent on then feeling they need the cap flex moving forward or having another move lined up 

A 2nd would be great (ideal), I was being very conservative when I said "mid pick haha"....I am sometimes guilty of expecting too much return, but yeah, they'd have to cough up more for sure.

1 minute ago, BPA said:

That’s with Kuz included in the trade.

So Kuz for Mantha + 1st.

Or instead of a 1st, get prospect Cristall (local boy).

Ahh, I'd interpreted as what it'd cost for them to simply dump Mantha

I'd be surprised if they moved their 1st, but they do have three 2025 2nd's between their's, Colorado's, and Boston's

I think they'd also be willing to move picks over prospects of value, they're probably not far off from a retool of sorts, if not a rebuild 

4 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

A 2nd would be great (ideal), I was being very conservative when I said "mid pick haha"....I am sometimes guilty of expecting too much return, but yeah, they'd have to cough up more for sure.

It could be more, depends on how Washington values Kuzmenko

They could always just pay to move Mantha themselves and fish elsewhere 

Any move is contingent on them being competitive going forward though, if they slide they're more likely to just wait for Mantha's cap to expire

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think such a trade would probably be contingent on them feeling they need the cap flex moving forward,  or having another move lined up 

I'd be interested in something like a 2024 3rd, 2025 2nd, Cristall and Mantha for Kuzy instead of trying for 1st round picks. Maybe we can try the quantity route and build for the future. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Story by Jesse Courville-Lynch, The Hockey Writers

image.png.bfab631023044199cebaff5c86a4772b.png
Friedman Believes Capitals Interested In Canucks’ Kuzmenko© Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports

The Washington Capitals have been surprisingly strong to start their 2023-24 campaign. With a 15-9-4 record through 28 games, they currently sit fifth in the Metropolitan Division and three points behind the Carolina Hurricanes, but have played four fewer games. Their captain, Alex Ovechkin, has struggled offensively this season for the first time in his career to start a new season, but the team seems to be rallying around him and has been successful even with his shocking lack of production.

While the team hasn’t been great offensively, it seems as though they have recently been looking for ways to change that and be a contender this season after missing the playoffs and winding up with the eighth overall selection in the draft. While the core of Ovechkin, John Carlson, and Tom Wilson is aging, and with Nicklas Backstrom unfortunately out for the season with a major injury, the Capitals have proven they don’t want to sit back and let another season go to waste, but they’d rather push for their second Stanley Cup in franchise history.

One player who has surprisingly been in and out of the lineup on his team is Vancouver Canucks forward Andrei Kuzmenko. He has been a healthy scratch several times this season and seems to be a player that head coach Rick Tocchet isn’t a fan of. Kuzmenko has six goals and has added 11 assists for 17 points through 29 games this season which is quite good for a player who has spent the majority of his time in the bottom six, but his play is still something the Canucks don’t seem to like.

If the Canucks don’t want to play him, that’s no issue for a Capitals team who will be looking to bolster their roster come the trade deadline. A connection between the two teams seems to have been made by Sportsnet insider Elliotte Friedman. But while he mentioned the Capitals had interest in Kuzmenko, he was quick to point out there may not be a fit due to salary cap issues and the Capitals’ lack of assets. Here is what he had to say about the Capitals and their potential interest in Kuzmenko:

“I’m just curious to see how you fix this. I think Washington is a team that’s looked around at Kuzmenko but I just don’t see a trade match there. It’s not like the Canucks are going to take Anthony Mantha. I just don’t know where this is going to sort itself out aside from the fact that you can’t have a guy making that salary playing 12 minutes a night. It doesn’t work in today’s cap system. We’ll see where it goes.”

– Elliotte Friedman (The Jeff Marek Show)

Friedman likely mentions Capitals’ forward Anthony Mantha for salary cap reasons, but the Canucks aren’t believed to have any interest in him. However, the Capitals have seemingly been happy with Mantha’s play as of late and don’t seem to be in a rush to move him unless they see an opportunity to upgrade the roster. Fortunately for the Capitals, they have plenty of time to decide what they’re going to do and who they’re going to target at the trade deadline, but it doesn’t seem like there is much of a chance Kuzmenko gets traded to the Capitals.

Hypothetical Kuzmenko Fit With The Capitals

While there doesn’t seem to be much of a chance of a Kuzmenko trade happening any time soon and almost no chance he becomes a Capital, let’s take a hypothetical look at where he would fit if the Capitals were to somehow pull off a monster trade with the Canucks to bring him in. Under the assumption that Mantha would have to be traded if Kuzmenko is brought in due to the money issues, Kuzmenko could slot into the second line alongside Aliaksei Protas and Connor McMichael.

While Capitals forward Evgeny Kuznetsov has been playing on the third line since he was a healthy scratch just a few games ago, his confidence and overall play could be rejuvenated playing alongside a fellow Russian player in Kuzmenko. Moving Kuznetsov up to the second line could be an option, but there is also the idea of spreading out the firepower and leaving him in the bottom six, which might be beneficial for the Capitals as a team.

Kuzmenko’s strength is his ability to produce offensively. The Capitals haven’t been the worst team in the NHL, but they have struggled offensively on some nights. Adding a guy like Kuzmenko who is coming off of a 74-point campaign in his first season in the NHL and may simply need a change of scenery could be huge for the Capitals, and he could become a difference-maker in the team’s quest for a Stanley Cup.

The only issue with this is the Canucks are also vying for a Stanley Cup this season. While Kuzmenko might be in Tocchet’s dog house because of internal issues with the team, whatever those may be, he is still a massive part of the Canucks and is a player who could help lead them to success in the postseason. With two contending teams potentially being trade partners, it becomes even harder to make a deal as neither one wants to give the other a better chance of winning, thus likely making any Kuzmenko deal to Washington close to impossible.

The Capitals will be buyers come the trade deadline if they keep playing well up until that point, but they will likely have to look in another direction as far as trying to improve their roster. Hopefully, they will make the right moves and have a Stanley Cup-contending team late in the season, and a roster that can help lead the Capitals to their second Stanley Cup in franchise history.

For some odd reason when I read saw the title of this thread, I was reminded of the time from Seinfeld when Sid Farkas was interested in Estelle Costanza and told Frank about this.  Frank then lost his shit!  

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Agreed.  I have zero interest in Mantha.  

I didn't even realize that they could stack crap that high.  

our coaching staff seems to have the ability to get the best out of this type of player tho... or not and he's gone at the end of the year anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Kuz could be the spark that gets Ovie going.

Mantha is a big guy at 6'5 and 234 lbs, not sure about his skating, but plays both wings.

Even as a one for one swap, the extra $5.5 mill of cap space for next year is enticing.

The cap space alone would be very valuable, it'd allow us to go out and find another fit in our top six or further address our D, whether that be via trade or UFA 

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd be interested in something like a 2024 3rd, 2025 2nd, Cristall and Mantha for Kuzy instead of trying for 1st round picks. Maybe we can try the quantity route and build for the future. 

Seems like a lot for them to give up but you never know, I'd be surprised if they were willing to part with Cristall though

Seems more likely they'd be willing to move picks than tangible prospects of value

Just now, Bob Long said:

our coaching staff seems to have the ability to get the best out of this type of player tho... or not and he's gone at the end of the year anyway. 

True but it seems like a terribly underwhelming return for Kuzmenko.  

We'd probably be better off waiting for Kuz to find his game again similar to what we did with Boeser.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

The cap space alone would be very valuable, it'd allow us to go out and find another fit in our top six or further address our D, whether that be via trade or UFA 

Seems like a lot for them to give up but you never know, I'd be surprised if they were willing to part with Cristall though

Seems more likely they'd be willing to move picks than tangible prospects of value

hey we aren't in a 'have to' position, but they kind of are, maybe a little anyway. Mantha is just cap clearing, zero value. A 39 goal scorer for a 2nd, 3rd and smaller winger prospect is pretty fair, imo. 

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

True but it seems like a terribly underwhelming return for Kuzmenko.  

We'd probably be better off waiting for Kuz to find his game again similar to what we did with Boeser.  

yea its not ideal, just don't see anyone coughing up a 1st or top 4 RHD for him either. I love our new scouting staff, I bet they could find a couple of gems with those picks, or Allvin does his thing and flips then for that final top 4 d we need. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

hey we aren't in a 'have to' position, but they kind of are, maybe a little anyway. Mantha is just cap clearing, zero value. A 39 goal scorer for a 2nd, 3rd and smaller winger prospect is pretty fair, imo. 

Context, a 39 goal season born off the back of an unsustainable shooting percentage, he's likely more a 20-30 goal guy

Kuzmenko has also had a tougher year on a team who's been scoring a fair bit more than Washington 

He's not only not getting to play Boudreau hockey, he's come back down to earth 

Mind you I'm also more conservative regarding his value to us and his value to Washington, he doesn't look like a gamebreaker so much as a complimentary top six winger 

I think you're likelier to get an additional 2nd than Cristall

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1