[PGT] Sabres at Canucks

I said it was an ugly win, but that was just the end of the third. Overall a great effort and zero luck in what could have been a 6-goal night.

Powerplay was better but underwhelming on paper but they controlled the game until the last half of the 3rd. 

Good forecheck pressure except for the last part where more passive dump-ins led to lots of buffalo offensive time. They can't afford to game manage against desperate teams who are fighting for playoffs. 

Desmith was pretty solid. Time to throw arty in soon, habs probably better option than kings.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Yep. Love Ray. Loved him more when he put Pratt in his place, but still love the guy. 

I remember when Ferraro was starting out his broadcasting career in 1040 for the morning show. Its insane how we had him on the radio everyday for a season ( might be two?) Glad that guy is back in some capacity calling Canucks games. Heres hoping he'll be calling some in May June

Pratt was the worst and so was the Moj

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s not that they are weak. It’s when they sit back that just doesn’t make sense. It usually always results in a goal. They won so it doesn’t matter but it sure would be nice if we didn’t have 7 min of sitting back. Meeting pressure with pressure. Again they won so it doesn’t matter but the habits do moving forward.

We doubled Buffalo on shots, where was the sitting back? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just finished watching the WIN! Good stuff boys. Watching Petie he's the second coming of Patrick Sundstrom! So smooth on his skates. It always  looked like Sundstrom wasn't even trying, even being called lazy sometimes, but a very stealthy skater. Garland is his TONY TANTI. A small bull to the net. We have to leave those two together.  

Mik was great, but only as a bottom 6 checker. (If that's where we want him). 

Watching Buffalo's line match ups, the game plan is now pretty obvious. 

Teams are now matching up physical lines against Petie. They want to overpower our finesse forwards. That was most evident at the beginning of the 2nd period. They are attacking 40 physically. 

Overall hitting wise we're missing Juul's for sure.

• Cheers 2

We gotta stop taking our foot off the gas and play dump and chase when we have leads…

we’ve been losing games that way letting teams back into games that way

i hope Lindy can figure it out soon -

he needs to take his game to the next level 

35 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Just finished watching the WIN! Good stuff boys. Watching Petie he's the second coming of Patrick Sundstrom! So smooth on his skates. It always  looked like Sundstrom wasn't even trying, even being called lazy sometimes, but a very stealthy skater. Garland is his TONY TANTI. A small bull to the net. We have to leave those two together.  

Mik was great, but only as a bottom 6 checker. (If that's where we want him). 

Watching Buffalo's line match ups, the game plan is now pretty obvious. 

Teams are now matching up physical lines against Petie. They want to overpower our finesse forwards. That was most evident at the beginning of the 2nd period. They are attacking 40 physically. 

Overall hitting wise we're missing Juul's for sure.

Not a bad plan. Maybe Podkolzin with Petey and Garland?

Edit: Or, when Joshua gets back, him, Petey and Garland. That could be amazing. 

And definitely get Juulsen back in, as well. 

Edited by Barn Burner
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Interesting interview with Hughes after the game. When asked about his defensive play he immediately responded with his plus/minus numbers. We, as fans, discuss a lot of stats (other than points) but the players care most about plus/minus. It’s the stat that they use to define if they are contributing to winning. 

We'll I guess that must maker Lind-🏠 feeling pretty bad looking in the mirror each morning - being at a whopping Minus -15 (Ranked  #814 worst +/- player out of all 885 Skaters in the entire National Hockey League !).............. with the next worst player on our team only being at -2.   

Edited by RU SERIOUS
Typo
  • Haha 2

When everyone healthy 

Hoglander Petey Garland
Mikheyev Miller Boeser
Joshua Lindholm Podkolzin
Suter Blueger Lafferty
DiGuisseppe

Hughes Hronek
Zadorov Soucy
Juulsen Myers
Cole

Demko
DeSmith

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DexM94 said:

When everyone healthy 

Hoglander Petey Garland
Mikheyev Miller Boeser
Joshua Lindholm Podkolzin
Suter Blueger Lafferty
DiGuisseppe

Hughes Hronek
Zadorov Soucy
Juulsen Myers
Cole

Demko
DeSmith

I like this, with Mik/Suter and Garland/Podz able to be swapped when you want different looks. Would still be a good set up.

only change is Soucy should be on the left with Juulson on his right, and Zads with Myers on the 3rd so that all d are playing their correct positions (or Juulson with Zads on 3rd, whatever works).

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

That's a coach that talks like he understands how the playoffs are going to be. 

The better defensively the team plays, the better chance they have in having success in the postseason. 

The offense (hopefully) will come. 

Is it just me, or is Lindholm basically invisible offensively? 

He actually had a couple of opportunities last night, once right in front deflected puck just wide. He also made some nice passes.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

We gotta stop taking our foot off the gas and play dump and chase when we have leads…

we’ve been losing games that way letting teams back into games that way

i hope Lindy can figure it out soon -

he needs to take his game to the next level 

I don’t think that was the case this time as much as other times they have sat back. They out shot the sabres 9-7 and carried the play as much as Buffalo did. Pretty even period really, would have been even scoring wise too if not for Dallin’s flukey 2nd goal.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Think it was Hronek he mixed it up with just prior to Myers nailing him... beauty...

Jost had knocked Petey down along the boards and then gave him an extra cross check well he was still down. Refs were ok with that, glad that Meyers wasn’t.

• Cheers 1

Off topic. He got an assist. And I only noticed him a couple of times during the entire game. Wasn't Owen Power supposed to be this incredible defensive partner for Dahlin?

He did play over 24 minutes, but honestly, I didn't even notice him in the play most of the time. He was +1, no hits, 1 blocked shot. His season stats are good. You'd think someone who's 6'6" would stand out a bit more. Related to that Bowen Byram. He at least blocked shots, had a hit and shot on goal, and was -1 for his efforts. Another top flight defenceman that looked a little invisible at times.

• Cheers 1