Growing Your Own Garden

2 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

So, here's my first question. Corn, what the deuce?

I've tried corn the past two seasons. Year one it all came out white, which I guess isn't particularly unusual. I can't be certain it wasn't a 'white' corn now due to poor record keeping! My dogs loved chewing the cobs, but my kids made snotty kid faces at it.

Last year I got nice sized, golden cobs... that were tough and chewy and bleh. We made corn flour and called it success. I'm hesitant to try again this season, due to my limited space, but I feel like I made progress so I may have another go at it.

The 'corn' bed is 72" x 37" south facing, backed against the building. Kinda small, I know. Both years the stalks seemed to produce well and reached between 5' and 6' in height. The soil and compost are decent to good, though that bed is newer than my main 'warm' and 'cool' bed, only 3 years of development.

Oh, and I did the 'three sisters' thing and had good crops of both beans and squash. Just the corn was crap.

The only things I know about corn is that mice, birds and rats will dig out the seeds if they find one , corn is a extremely heavy feeder of nitrogen ( I believe corn is actually a grass) and it is best planted in blocks rather than rows.  

It relies on wind for pollination and if planted in rows 2,3,4 or 5 plants wide the wind can blow the pollen right off the row and into the great beyond. 

Planting in large blocks better ensures  pollen from the top of stalks will find its way to the silks at the ear. 

When I used to grow it my block was at least 10’ x 10’ . 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Fan Abroad said:

Love this. What peppers are you growing?

I have orange Hab, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Dorset Naga, KSLS, Cayenne,Jalapeno, and a few others. I   

Growing Habanero, Ghost, Tabasco, Inferno, Cherry Bomb, Hot Portugal , Messila and Jalapeño Mammoth. Some I dry, some I can and some I use in my tomato pastes and sauces. 

Your projects and plantings sound great. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Anyone use a steamer as a chemical free method of weed killer? I've got a brick patio and gravel path and driveway I think it could be useful for and was hoping someone could recommend a brand/model.

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Anyone use a steamer as a chemical free method of weed killer? I've got a brick patio and gravel path and driveway I think it could be useful for and was hoping someone could recommend a brand/model.

5% acetic vinegar in a spritzer bottle with a tsp of liquid dish soap will kill weeds . The dish soap acts a  surfactant so the solution stays on the foliage. 

It doesn’t get to the roots of stubborn weeds like morning glory but it will kill the foliage. I use it on a rockery wall where weeds try to grow in the cracks. 

Never used a steamer. I know a farm that bought a propane burner thing to torch weeds between rows and plants and it was a fail.

Edited by Barnstorm

15 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

5% acetic vinegar in a spritzer bottle with a tsp of liquid dish soap will kill weeds . The dish soap acts a  surfactant so the solution stays on the foliage. 

It doesn’t get to the roots of stubborn weeds like morning glory but it will kill the foliage. I use it on a rockery wall where weeds try to grow in the cracks. 

Never used a steamer. I know a farm that bought a propane burner thing to torch weeds between rows and plants and it was a fail.

Trying not to use chemicals even "just" vinegar, as they have their own issues (especially to nearby plants/lawn). Our lot is also in riparian area. 

Everything I'm seeing is that steam (penetrates) works far better than fire (surface). Nevermind the fire risks, especially with our low snow pack this year (it's going to get DRY).

But Google seems to largely be giving me search results for discontinued products, stuff from Australia, or commercial stuff that apparently starts at $18k 😂

Edited by aGENT

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Trying not to use chemicals even "just" vinegar, as they have their own issues (especially to nearby plants/lawn). Our lot is also in riparian area. 

Everything I'm seeing is that steam (penetrates) works far better than fire (surface). Nevermind the fire risks, especially with our low snow pack this year (it's going to get DRY).

But Google seems to largely be giving me search results for discontinued products, stuff from Australia, or commercial stuff that apparently starts at $18k 😂

As long as your garden is not massive in size the deft use of a hoe, early and often; is a great way to rid the garden of weeds.

Granted; it does help that I am retired and also have modified the hoe with 3 sharp edges.

DSCN8637.JPG

19 hours ago, Canuck You said:

I have contemplated this for a few yrs now and I would love to start growing my own fruits and veggies , Especially nowadays...Hopefully some tips and tricks to the trade from experienced users could help someone out like me and others on the site.

I assume many of us live in the lower mainland and the weather is all over the place sometimes and I think it would be a good idea to have opinions of people who have knowledge and experience around these parts..

So for a beginner, a rough draft would be nice, I do want to start pickling/jarring (if that is an actual term) to keep foods for long term consumption.

Think it's the right way to go with prices these days..Grow our own!

Cheers

Growing my own produce is one of the best things ive ever done. Plus it makes an awesome hobby and mental distraction from work. 

Its too late right now to start seeds for most crops, but if someone was starting literally right now, we're just past the last frost so you can buy transplants from nurseries 

Decide on a garden plan though. We have a patio and a balcony, so its all container gardening. We have about 300 sqft of growing space, and have room for: beefsteak tomatoes, san marzano style tomatoes (makes great suace), spacemaster cucumbers,  all the cooking herbs we need, bell peppers, biquinho peppers (my favorite ornamental pepper and has a terrific non-fiery flavor), peas, some carrots, garlic, potatoes, swiss chard, two varities of strawberries, and raspberries. 

its a bit more expensive to get transplants, but worth it to get a crop this year for sure. and perennials like strawberries will bear fruit again next year. 

5 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

So, here's my first question. Corn, what the deuce?

I've tried corn the past two seasons. Year one it all came out white, which I guess isn't particularly unusual. I can't be certain it wasn't a 'white' corn now due to poor record keeping! My dogs loved chewing the cobs, but my kids made snotty kid faces at it.

Last year I got nice sized, golden cobs... that were tough and chewy and bleh. We made corn flour and called it success. I'm hesitant to try again this season, due to my limited space, but I feel like I made progress so I may have another go at it.

The 'corn' bed is 72" x 37" south facing, backed against the building. Kinda small, I know. Both years the stalks seemed to produce well and reached between 5' and 6' in height. The soil and compost are decent to good, though that bed is newer than my main 'warm' and 'cool' bed, only 3 years of development.

Oh, and I did the 'three sisters' thing and had good crops of both beans and squash. Just the corn was crap.

White corn is a variety that Mexicans love. They (My wife and friends I know) do not actually like sweet yellow corn. They butter it, add salt mayo, some cheese, and chili powder, and eat it off the cob. I have forgotten the order and I think there are some ingredients that I am missing. If I could find some white corn, I would score some points for sure.

If it is hard, it could be one of two things, 1. It could be the variety. Some varieties are grown as animal feed and get mulched so they are a bit tougher. Then, you have the gem variety which is always hard and more ornamental. 2. You could have also left the corn on the plant too long. It gets hard the longer it stays on the stalk and if you are saving seed this part of the process to do it. 

They are also heavy N feeders and kinda ruin the area that they are grown in.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

White corn is a variety that Mexicans love. They (My wife and friends I know) do not actually like sweet yellow corn. They butter it, add salt mayo, some cheese, and chili powder, and eat it off the cob. I have forgotten the order and I think there are some ingredients that I am missing. If I could find some white corn, I would score some points for sure.

If it is hard, it could be one of two things, 1. It could be the variety. Some varieties are grown as animal feed and get mulched so they are a bit tougher. Then, you have the gem variety which is always hard and more ornamental. 2. You could have also left the corn on the plant too long. It gets hard the longer it stays on the stalk and if you are saving seed this part of the process to do it. 

They are also heavy N feeders and kinda ruin the area that they are grown in.

My favorite variety for growing is Peaches and Cream. It needs full sun, good drainage and ample nitrogen and water.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

My favorite variety for growing is Peaches and Cream. It needs full sun, good drainage and ample nitrogen and water.

I bought a couple of packets of sweet corn, but I forgot the variety. Instead of using the area for corn, I will be splitting it with Sunflower. I thought it would be a fun change. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

As long as your garden is not massive in size the deft use of a hoe, early and often; is a great way to rid the garden of weeds.

Granted; it does help that I am retired and also have modified the hoe with 3 sharp edges.

DSCN8637.JPG

I've got a "garden claw" that's great for loosening them out of the gravel, but it's still a fair bit of work picking them all up, knocking the gravel off the roots etc. And no tool is designed to get them from growing between patio bricks. It's just too small of a space for tools.

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I've got a "garden claw" that's great for loosening them out of the gravel, but it's still a fair bit of work picking them all up, knocking the gravel off the roots etc. And no tool is designed to get them from growing between patio bricks. It's just too small of a space for tools.

I only use the hoe in the garden and in a few flowerbeds.

Has anyone had success over wintering peppers in the house and producing the following year.  I have kept a couple Jalapeños and a Carolina reaper going and curious about ideas to make them productive when they go back outside.

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

We use a roofers hook knife for pulling weeds between patio slabs. It's a bit of a work out because you have to bend over or kneel. But bending and such does keep you flexible just do a bit at a time.

12 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Its too late right now to start seeds for most crops, but if someone was starting literally right now, we're just past the last frost so you can buy transplants from nurseries 

Have to strongly disagree with this part. Particularly if your frost date has already passed, what crop could you not grow from seed in the next 120 to 150ish days, even factoring germination? I continue growing from seed with starts as late as August in zone 4, not counting 'winter' plants such as garlic.

As for nurseries, garden centers, and the like, those costs add up fast. I cringe each time I see someone purchase a $20 tomato plant that will be lucky to produce $5 worth of fruit. Other than occassional soil amendments, I'd only recommend herbs, perennials, and discounted items.

No offense to anyone who owns a nursery, of course. There will still be plenty of grandmas overpaying for flowers soon enough.

• Like 2

I'll be starting my seeds in the next week or 2. I'm waiting till the near freezing overnight temps are done. But I've got some jalapenos, bananna peppers, spicy mustard habaneros, and a hybrid pepper called the gator jigsaw pepper. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2024 at 11:25 PM, Canuck You said:

I have contemplated this for a few yrs now and I would love to start growing my own fruits and veggies , Especially nowadays...Hopefully some tips and tricks to the trade from experienced users could help someone out like me and others on the site.

I assume many of us live in the lower mainland and the weather is all over the place sometimes and I think it would be a good idea to have opinions of people who have knowledge and experience around these parts..

So for a beginner, a rough draft would be nice, I do want to start pickling/jarring (if that is an actual term) to keep foods for long term consumption.

Think it's the right way to go with prices these days..Grow our own!

Cheers

If you plan on jarring up preserves then you’ll need a stove top that has coils. The glass top stoves will likely crack. And wait for local crops to come in and buy bulk. Grow your own garden to eat fresh. 
And drink lots. That’s how it’s done. 

3 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

Have to strongly disagree with this part. Particularly if your frost date has already passed, what crop could you not grow from seed in the next 120 to 150ish days, even factoring germination? I continue growing from seed with starts as late as August in zone 4, not counting 'winter' plants such as garlic.

As for nurseries, garden centers, and the like, those costs add up fast. I cringe each time I see someone purchase a $20 tomato plant that will be lucky to produce $5 worth of fruit. Other than occassional soil amendments, I'd only recommend herbs, perennials, and discounted items.

No offense to anyone who owns a nursery, of course. There will still be plenty of grandmas overpaying for flowers soon enough.

16 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Growing my own produce is one of the best things ive ever done. Plus it makes an awesome hobby and mental distraction from work. 

Decide on a garden plan though. We have a patio and a balcony, so its all container gardening. We have about 300 sqft of growing space, and have room for: beefsteak tomatoes, san marzano style tomatoes (makes great suace), spacemaster cucumbers,  all the cooking herbs we need, bell peppers, biquinho peppers (my favorite ornamental pepper and has a terrific non-fiery flavor), peas, some carrots, garlic, potatoes, swiss chard, two varities of strawberries, and raspberries. 

its a bit more expensive to get transplants, but worth it to get a crop this year for sure. and perennials like strawberries will bear fruit again next year. 

There are quite a few plants that should be grown now (when soil warms a bit) from seed. This video shows a few crops that you may or may not agree with.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gwarrior said:

I'll be starting my seeds in the next week or 2. I'm waiting till the near freezing overnight temps are done. But I've got some jalapenos, bananna peppers, spicy mustard habaneros, and a hybrid pepper called the gator jigsaw pepper. 

I have not heard of the last one but it sounds like it has a kick.

55 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

I have not heard of the last one but it sounds like it has a kick.

It's supposed to be way hotter than a ghost. And might have challenged the Carolina reaper in heat level. I just wanted to try and see if I could grow them, even knowing "super hot" peppers can be finicky to grow. But I have successfully grown ghost and scorpions in the past.

• Like 1