Frugal Living

Barnstorm

My dog got a case of pink eye. Suddenly his left eye had a frequent build up of eye boogies( medical term) and closer examination revealed intense reddening of the white . 

Daughter advised me that Polysporin eye drops for humans would clear that up well. She emphasized it has to be the Polysporin brand as it has the required antibiotic strength. $21 at the pharmacy over the counter and Rudy’s eye cleared up within 5 days. That saved a visit to the vet at $90 and purchasing “dog eye drops” for another $45 or so. 

I treated both eyes with drops 3 times a day for 8 days to be sure it was knocked back entirely. Still have over half the bottle stored in the fridge. 

• Like 2

I don’t buy a lot of vegetables as I grow most of what I need. 

I had to buy a few potatoes the other day and was in for a shock. 3 regular Russet potatoes rang in at $4.50!  I realize it’s better to buy in larger qty’s but give me a break. 

I don’t use many potatoes but will be sure to grow a few more next year, 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

My dog got a case of pink eye. Suddenly his left eye had a frequent build up of eye boogies( medical term) and closer examination revealed intense reddening of the white . 

Daughter advised me that Polysporin eye drops for humans would clear that up well. She emphasized it has to be the Polysporin brand as it has the required antibiotic strength. $21 at the pharmacy over the counter and Rudy’s eye cleared up within 5 days. That saved a visit to the vet at $90 and purchasing “dog eye drops” for another $45 or so. 

I treated both eyes with drops 3 times a day for 8 days to be sure it was knocked back entirely. Still have over half the bottle stored in the fridge. 

I didn't know dogs could even get pink eye. I've had it a couple times. But didn't know that.

21 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I don’t buy a lot of vegetables as I grow most of what I need. 

I had to buy a few potatoes the other day and was in for a shock. 3 regular Russet potatoes rang in at $4.50!  I realize it’s better to buy in larger qty’s but give me a break. 

I don’t use many potatoes but will be sure to grow a few more next year, 

I usually just buy a 10lb bag of either russet or, my personal favorite, red potatoes. I find it just easier at a fixed price.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I usually just buy a 10lb bag of either russet or, my personal favorite, red potatoes. I find it just easier at a fixed price.

True that. I just don’t eat enough potatoes to buy in qty. probably the first potatoes I have bought in 2 years the other day. Hence the sticker shock I guess. 

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Podkolzin looked more like Wendy playing with those guys…

On 9/30/2023 at 1:58 AM, Barnstorm said:

Keep a large bath towel beside your clothes dryer and put it in with each load of laundry you dry. Laundry will dry in less time. 

Also clean the lint trap after every use and clean the exhaust duct and outer screen periodically.

And dont forget to brush your teeth.

If you’ve got a deep freeze it runs much more efficiently if it’s full.

Large volumes of free moving air within the freezer do not remain or hold any cold because it lacks mass. 

Jugs of water (ice) can be used to fill voids. A few blankets/towels can also be folded and used to fill voids between contents. A final blanket or towel over the top of contents and level with the opening keeps the heat out and cold in. 

Groups of food items packed in cardboard boxes and marked with a sharpie can be used to better enable packing a freezer effectively and certainly help preserve foods from freezer damage. 

Finally a sheet of styrofoam fitted to the outside of the freezer lid , (cardboard works too) will greatly improve the freezers efficiency. 

Same principal applies to your refrigerator and it’s freezer section. Fuller is gooder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Soup stock…

Buy whole chickens on sale and cut into parts yourself. Two wings, two legs/thighs and two breasts. Freeze the pieces in suitable portions for your family.
Put the backs in a bag and freeze for future stock. 
Add bones to the freezer bag as chicken is consumed. It’s fine to include beef and or pork bones. 
Continue to save/freeze bones until you have enough to fill stock pot. 

Cover bones with cold water, add few cubed onions, carrot, celery, garlic, pepper corns, bay leaves, small amount of tomatoes ect. I avoid using most green vegetables especially leafy ones or broccoli. Green beans are okay. In short, use up any vegetables you have. These can be frozen previously too. Don’t throw tired vegetables away… freeze for stock. Some squash or pumpkin in your stock will give it a wonderful rich flavour and colour, be creative. 

Bring to rolling boil and then simmer for 4-6 hours. Strain and cool, any fat can then be removed by spooning off the top. Reheat and adjust final taste with spices/herbs. 
Pressure can ( 45 minutes at 10 lbs for sea level -1000 feet) or freeze in containers. 

Money is saved by buying whole chickens, saving bones and vegetables and processing yourself. Better product with less additives/preservatives. 
The stock can be used as a base for soup, pork and beans, stew, chilli ect. 

I finished 10 qts. this morning. 

IMG_8731.thumb.jpeg.1d22a23d002137f02bfd14d3dfb10b8a.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...