Sharpshooter

• 1 month later...

It's.  About.  Fucking.  Time!!!

‘Keep our customers moving’: TransLink unveils new winter tire for buses

Darrian_Matassa-Fung.jpg?quality=85&stri
By Darrian Matassa-Fung  Global News
Posted November 10, 2023 11:59 am
 Updated November 10, 2023 12:18 pm
A TransLink bus seen in heavy snow in 2022.
A TransLink bus seen in heavy snow in 2022. Global News

TransLink officials said Metro Vancouver transit systems will be ready for all of the elements when winter arrives this year.

The agency held a show-and-tell-like day at its SkyTrain operations and maintenance centre, along with Coast Mountain Bus Company and B.C. Rapid Transit Company.

The companies unveiled new winter-rated tires, which will be used during a trial run on one-third of the fleet this winter, a total of about 500 buses.

The tires are “Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake” rated — the highest winter rating available for bus tires.

“We are committed to doing everything we can to keep our customers moving,“ said Michael McDaniel, president and general manager of Coast Mountain Bus Company.

“CMBC is committed to always looking at new policies, technology and equipment to ensure we have the best possible service on the road.”

TransLink said its winter preparation tactics for freezing temperatures are ready to go at a moment’s notice as well.

Extra staff will be called in as necessary, along with coordinating snow-clearing with municipalities, using anti-icing techniques, winter tire socks, smaller buses when necessary, and salting and sanding in areas frequently used by riders.

Last winter, heavy snowfall and freezing temperatures created significant disruptions to service for almost all Metro Vancouver transit systems.

Buses were massively delayed and some SkyTrain stations and rails were closed.

Last year’s snow plan consisted of many extra measures to ensure all transit services were prepared for potential snowfall.

Extra weather preparations for the 2022-2023 winter season included extra staff working, co-ordinating with municipalities for snow-clearing priorities, special de-icing for trolley wires, using more conventional buses for steeper routes, coupling SkyTrain cars into four-car configurations, and using a special SkyTrain to de-ice power rails.

TransLink said it had even more measures to implement if conditions worsened, including tire socks, running SkyTrains throughout the night to keep tracks clear, and increasing staffing on HandyDARTS and other buses and at SkyTrain terminals.

All of these measures continue to be in place for the 2023-24 winter season, TransLink said.

“Our SkyTrain team is dedicated to providing the best possible service during severe winter storms,” said Sany Zein, president and general manager of British Columbia Rapid Transit Company.

“Our SkyTrain system is exposed to the elements, which presents challenges to keep service moving during inclement weather. The commitment by our whole team to keep customers moving and informed is exemplary, and we are prepared to do everything we can to maintain safe service this winter.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/10085045/translink-winter-tires-buses/

Now, let's see if the bus drivers can figure out how to drive in the snow with winter tires on their bus.  :classic_ninja:

• Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this belongs more appropriately under the "OMG!" threads or the Climate Change thread in OT, but since this is more localized to Vancouver and our road networks, I'll put it here.

Metro Van councillors call for ‘snow summit’ to better prepare cities for snowstorms 

Vehicles drive through snowy conditions that wreaked havoc on Metro Vancouver roads on Nov. 29, 2022
Vehicles drive through snowy conditions that wreaked havoc on Metro Vancouver roads on Nov. 29, 2022. (Image Credit: Shane MacKichan)

Posted November 29, 2023 12:41 pm.

Two Metro Vancouver city councillors want the region to host a “snow summit” to get ahead of storms and road clearing this winter.

New Westminster coun. Daniel Fontaine and Surrey coun. Linda Annis are behind the push, saying they have yet to hear from “the province, contractors, Metro Vancouver, or local municipalities about better preparations for 2023.”

They add the summit would be an opportunity for experts and local politicians to discuss what went wrong in 2022 and identify how the region can better handle snowstorms going forward. The experts would range from those in road safety, transit, and even the cities’ engineering departments.

Fontaine points to Nov. 29, 2022, when there was a complete traffic gridlock in Metro Vancouver, with some people spending 12-14 hours getting home, when usually it would take them one hour.

“This time last year, our roads and bridges ground to a halt, showing just how unprepared we were as a region,” Fontaine told CityNews.

“During that snow storm it wasn’t just an inconvenience for people … we had ambulances and firetrucks stuck in traffic, you had complete gridlock and complete shut down. We were very lucky that an emergency didn’t happen that day and we didn’t have to send firs respondents to a four alarm fire and couldn’t reach it for example … we don’t want to be in that position again.”

“Considering how many people were impacted so severely that day, the least we owe them is an explanation as to why our transportation system shut down,” Fontaine continued.

He adds that storm was not even in the top 10 worst the region has seen.

“All of our communities in the region are connected by highways and bridges,” explained Annis in a release.

“If the highway or bridge I use to get home is choked or closed and I’m stuck in my car overnight, then ploughed streets in my own neighbourhood means only half the problem is solved.”

Fontaine says the City of New Westminster previously put forward a motion to Metro Vancouver for a snow summit but it was voted down. Despite this, he adds Metro Vancouver could have taken on the initiative given the severity of snowstorms the past few years.

He says he is worried about the upcoming winter, adding “we need to do better in 2023 and there is certainly an opportunity to have that discussion.”

The councillors are hoping the summit can help with better regional coordination going forward and preparing the public in advance with warnings.

“We’ve been talking about climate change for a long time in this region and part of that talk of climate change it means we need to take action, when we see things like this happening we need to be prepared,” Fontaine said.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/11/29/metro-vancouver-snow-summit-push/

To be honest, they can talk all they want, but talk is cheap, and the cost to put in an effective road safety program isn't, especially not one that involves ensuring clear roads for situations that used to only happen once in a decade or so (but I guess are slowly becoming the norm).

Of course, it also doesn't help when people overestimate their abilities and sense of readiness while underestimating the difficulty they face.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Not sure if this belongs more appropriately under the "OMG!" threads or the Climate Change thread in OT, but since this is more localized to Vancouver and our road networks, I'll put it here.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/11/29/metro-vancouver-snow-summit-push/

To be honest, they can talk all they want, but talk is cheap, and the cost to put in an effective road safety program isn't, especially not one that involves ensuring clear roads for situations that used to only happen once in a decade or so (but I guess are slowly becoming the norm).

Of course, it also doesn't help when people overestimate their abilities and sense of readiness while underestimating the difficulty they face.

People can barely drive now, on bare roads, as it is. 

Add any snow and many of these morons with summer tires or worn all season ones are going to cause mayhem for themselves and the rest of us. 

There needs to be a road safety component when people get a licence and renew a licence. 

Maybe an IQ test too. 

Sea to Sky to expect snowy conditions but people are being urged to drive safely

Highway 99 near Whistler covered in snow. Trucks and cars driving through the snow.
Highway 99 near Whistler covered in snow. Courtesy: DriveBC

Posted December 1, 2023 5:19 pm.

With big snow in the forecast, skiers and snowboarders heading along the Sea to Sky are being urged to drive slowly and safely.

The Sea to Sky Highway is under a snowfall warning with 10 to 20 centimetres of snow set to fall on the road between Squamish and Whistler starting Friday evening

In the wake of a tragic fatal crash on the Sea to Sky last weekend, the Mayor of Squamish Armand Hurford is begging people to be careful when they are heading to skill hills and resorts.

“If there is a delay due to weather or an accident on the way it’s important to be prepared to go into and out of the resort and we want people to be safe doing so,” Hurford said.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure says in a release that they will be ready to manage any accumulation of snow and prepare roads in advance. However, they say drivers should do their part by exercising caution and avoiding unnecessary trips.

Hurford adds that everyone in Squamish has some kind of connection to a tragedy on the highway.

“If you find yourself in a position where you’re stuck in a lengthy highway closure, [that is] likely because it was someone’s last day and it may have ruined your day,” he said.

“Keep that in mind, that these are real tragic life events and when they do occur be alert and make sure you are following instructors of first responders.”

Dane Gergovich with Whistler Blackcomb says the incoming snow is exciting and people should be “stoked” — but he also wants to remind everyone to get to the mountain safely.

“Make sure you have proper winter tires, they are required from Oct. 1 to March. 31 so make sure your vehicles are equipped with those tires.”

Gergovich adds that on-mountain safety is critically important too, especially with early season conditions on both mountains. He says that teams are working to open up the resort’s alpine lifts and get enough snow for the lower part of the mountain — but mandatory gondola downloads are still in place.

He says people should ski and ride with friends, stay inside of marked terrain, and follow the alpine responsibility code.

“Make sure you’re comfortable and confident driving in winter conditions. Plan ahead and take your time.”

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/12/01/sea-to-sky-driving-snow/

(for yesterday)

Snowfall warning issued for Coquihalla Highway

Slow plow crews work on the Coquihalla.
Plow crews work to clear snow on Highway 5, the Coquihalla Highway between Hope, B.C. and Merritt, B.C. on Saturday March 4, 2023. (Courtesy: Twiter/@TranBC)

Posted December 2, 2023 2:38 pm.

Environment Canada has issued a snowfall warning for the Coquihalla Highway between Hope and Merritt.

The warning says these routes saw 20 cm of snowfall Saturday morning and can expect to see two to five cm more in the evening.

The agency is cautioning drivers that weather in the mountains can change suddenly and says drivers should be using winter tires and chains.

“Rapidly accumulating snow will make travel difficult,” the statement said. “Visibility may be suddenly reduced at times in heavy snow.”

Highway 3 from Hope to Princeton and Manning to Skagit Valley Saturday will also see similar snowfall.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/12/02/bc-coquihalla-snowfall-warning-2/

(today/tonight)

Snow on the way for parts of Metro Vancouver

Light snow falls in Abbotsford, B.C. on Tuesday January 31st, 2023.
Light snow falls in Abbotsford, B.C. on Tuesday January 31st, 2023. (CityNews Image)

Posted December 8, 2023 7:52 am.

Last Updated December 8, 2023 8:45 am.

Environment and Climate Change Canada has issued a special weather statement for parts of Metro Vancouver as it believes snow will stick for the first time this season.

CityNews Meteorologist Michael Kuss explains the freezing level across the region will dip to about 200 metres Saturday morning.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if we see snow or mixed precipitation around Metro Vancouver even close to sea level but not sticking,” he said.

“At higher elevations on the North Shore and in the Tri-Cities slushy snow could stick, at least for a few hours.”

The statement released Friday morning echoed Kuss, saying snow is expected for neighbourhoods at higher elevations in Vancouver, Burnaby, and New Westminster.

“On Saturday, a frontal system will move onto the South Coast. Rain will begin Saturday morning and become mixed with snow Saturday afternoon. Wet snow may reach sea level but, generally, no significant accumulation is expected for most areas.

“Accumulations of 2 to 4 cm are possible over higher elevations of Metro Vancouver, such as the North Shore, Coquitlam, and Burnaby Mountain,” ECCC said in its statement.

However, don’t expect the snow to stick around — ECCC is expecting temperatures to rise quickly Saturday evening, and any snow will “transition back to rain” with freezing levels rising to nearly 2,000 metres.

Kuss explains snow is basically “guaranteed” for mountain passes in southern B.C., and the Sea to Sky region north of Squamish.

“Expect 10 to 15 centimetres through Saturday. The North Shore ski hills should get 10 to 20 centimetres of snow,” he said.

The special weather statement comes as Grouse Mountain’s lifts will begin to turn for the first time Friday, joining Cypress Mountain in opening for the 2023/24 winter season.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/12/08/metro-vancouver-snow-special-weather-statement/

In case the Xit didn't embed:

B.C. weather: Snowfall, wind warnings issued for several regions

headshot_doyle_2018-e1534270945147.jpg?q
By Doyle Potenteau  Global News
Posted December 9, 2023 9:04 am
 Updated December 9, 2023 9:28 am
Click to play video: 'B.C. evening weather forecast: Dec.8'

A special weather statement has been issued for potential snow this weekend. Senior meteorologist Kristi Gordon has the timeline in your Fri., Dec.8, 2023, forecast for Metro Vancouver and British Columbia.

Multiple weather warnings have been issued for an incoming and robust frontal system.

Environment Canada is projecting not only high winds along the North Coast, but also snowfall for many parts of the province, including Vancouver Island, Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley.

“Rain will develop this morning and become mixed with snow later this morning,” said the national weather agency. “Wet snow may reach sea level, but generally no significant accumulation is expected for most areas.

“Significant warming is expected early this evening and any snow will transition back to rain as freezing levels rise to near 2000 metres.”

For Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast, 2 to 4 cm is possible over higher terrain and inland areas near the coast. Further inland, 5 to 10 cm is possible over higher terrain.

For Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley, accumulations of 2 to 5 cm are possible over higher elevations. It’s also possible that high elevations above 200 metres, such as the North Shore, Coquitlam, and Burnaby Mountain, could receive up to 10 cm before the snowfall changes to rain in the evening.

Along the Central Coast and North Coast, strong winds, with gusts of 70 to 110 km/h, are expected to early Saturday afternoon.

More at https://globalnews.ca/news/10159707/b-c-weather-snowfall-wind-warnings-issued-for-several-regions/

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My wife is dreading the negative double-digit lows showing on the forecast for the end of next week here in the Lower Mainland.

My wife drives 40 minutes to work 5 days a week.  The snow and ice worries me even though we have a Jeep Trailhawk 4 wheel drive with good snow tires.

On the bright side it supposed to be -34 in Saskatoon next week.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My wife drives 40 minutes to work 5 days a week.  The snow and ice worries me even though we have a Jeep Trailhawk 4 wheel drive with good snow tires.

On the bright side it supposed to be -34 in Saskatoon next week.

We have the option to work at home if we want to, but she's chosen not to exercise it, so our commute isn't that much different from your wife's.  However (and this is going to sound bad for marital relations) I have little sympathy for her on this particular point because (a) she knows that we have the option to work from home, and (b) the lows normally happen late at night, when we should be tucked into bed.

Plus I love driving the day after people have chickened out from losing control of their vehicles by their lack of preparation / winter driving ability.  :hurhur:

• ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

We have the option to work at home if we want to, but she's chosen not to exercise it, so our commute isn't that much different from your wife's.  However (and this is going to sound bad for marital relations) I have little sympathy for her on this particular point because (a) she knows that we have the option to work from home, and (b) the lows normally happen late at night, when we should be tucked into bed.

Plus I love driving the day after people have chickened out from losing control of their vehicles by their lack of preparation / winter driving ability.  :hurhur:

Yea driving in snow in Vancouver is easy. The conditions aren't bad I find it very nice. It's the rain I find difficult.

• Cheers 1

Check your weather report- Upper Sunshine Coast just got a "severe Weather alert"

Snow and then a lot of rain for Monday night.

High winds on the west coast of Vancouver Island on Monday.

Winter finally arriving in southern B.C.

• Thanks 1

Is it wrong that I haven’t put my snow tires on yet? 

Normally I switch over around mid to late November. 

It costs a lot to change them. 

Thinking I gotta do it this week, but then I’ll have switch back in a couple months. 

Stupid climate change. 

• Huggy Bear 1