Derek Stepan retires

https://www.nhlpa.com/news/1-22551/derek-stepan-announces-retirement-after-13-nhl-seasons

Statement from Derek Stepan:

“After 13 years in the NHL I’ve decided to retire. I want to thank my family and friends for always supporting me and allowing me to live my dreams. I want to thank the four organizations I had the privilege of playing for, and to my teammates for allowing me to be part of their family. Finally, I want to thank the fans, it was an honor to play in front of you. I’m forever grateful for this game and I look forward to the next chapter.”

Looked like he was a 1st liner there for a few years. 44 points in 48 games in 2012-13 and 55 in 68 games in 2014-15. Still ended up being a very respectable 2nd line forward for many years. Definitely fell off hard in 2022-23 with 11 points in 73 games though. Was probably looking at a two-way deal and wasn't interested in AHL hockey.

2 hours ago, gwarrior said:

Only 33 and walking away. Wow. Ok. Good luck in retirement.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Looked like he was a 1st liner there for a few years. 44 points in 48 games in 2012-13 and 55 in 68 games in 2014-15. Still ended up being a very respectable 2nd line forward for many years. Definitely fell off hard in 2022-23 with 11 points in 73 games though. Was probably looking at a two-way deal and wasn't interested in AHL hockey.