[REPORT] DJ Smith and Capuano not at Sens practice?

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/senateurs/senateurs-mais-ou-sont-passes-d-j-smith-et-jack-capuano-1.17468881

Skills day. DJ Smith and Jack Capuano sat this one out. #Sens

But Yves St-Laurent of local newspaper said it looked like an ordinary practice.

Even if skills day, kind of Odd that they would both be missing.

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

https://www.rds.ca/hockey/senateurs/senateurs-mais-ou-sont-passes-d-j-smith-et-jack-capuano-1.17468881

Skills day. DJ Smith and Jack Capuano sat this one out. #Sens

But Yves St-Laurent of local newspaper said it looked like an ordinary practice.

Even if skills day, kind of Odd that they would both be missing.

What does this indicate? 

36 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why would they do that? 

Media's been pumping their tires as the next big team, and they're .500 after a very advantageous 5 game home stand to start the year against pretty mediocre competition on paper. Add to that a Chabot and Brannstrom injury, a Pinto half-season suspension, Batherson underperforming, and a goaltending tandem that is inconsistent, I wouldn't be surprised if the panic indicator there was high, mainly based off the fact that the expectations were utterly ridiculous to begin with. 

DJ Smith is a terrible coach that has yet to implement a system, in his 5th season. Allows his star players to cheat in the defensive zone to look for breakaways from cherrypicking. It's fun hockey to watch, but very ugly. 

I have no idea if they really are looking to replace the coaching staff, but it's been a massive weakness of Ottawa's team for quite some time. They just aren't NHL caliber. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 2

I could see a coaching change. I follow the Sens closely, great young team and I'm not convinced DJ is the guy. Sure glad Canucks grabbed Tochett late last year. I will eat my words on the Tocchet hiring and timing of it. Lots of runway left but if the Canucks continue playing this way and make playoffs, Tochett quite liked wins a Jack Adams. Lots of hockey to be played yet though. 

• Cheers 1

I'm not sure I understand this fully, but Ottawa is in trouble with the league because, when they traded Dadanov to Vegas, they didn't inform Vegas of Dadanov's ten team no-trade list, which had Anaheim on it. Then Vegas tried to trade him to Anaheim and he said, "Wait a minute, Anaheim is on my no-trade list", but Vegas didn't know that. The trade was cancelled and Dadanov was then traded to Montreal for the LTIR contract of Shea Weber. Montreal later traded him to Dallas, where he now plays. Rumours about what will happen abound, with one scenario having Ottawa being penalized by forfeiting a first round draft pick in 2024 for, I assume, deliberately misleading Vegas in the original trade.

On top of that, Ottawa ownership has just changed hands and this gives the new ownership a reason to clean house, starting with Dorion and possibly with the coaches. New POHO Steve Staios is in the midst of an organizational audit so I wouldn't be surprised to see Dorion fired and maybe the coaches, too. Ottawa is in a very tough division so I can't see them waiting very long if they think a change is necessary. I hear Bruce Boudreau is free.