UFA question

General questions here regarding UFA:

For any team that is destined for the post season and they have one or two UFA's come the trade deadline:  do they keep them and let them walk for nothing in July?  I don't think two playoff bound teams would swap UFA's?  You can't trade one to a non-playoff team?  How do playoff-bound teams navigate their UFAs?

3 hours ago, TheBearded1 said:

For any team that is destined for the post season and they have one or two UFA's come the trade deadline:  do they keep them and let them walk for nothing in July?  I don't think two playoff bound teams would swap UFA's?  You can't trade one to a non-playoff team?  How do playoff-bound teams navigate their UFAs?

If they think they have any kind of chance, they typically keep their own UFAs and even try to acquire a couple more for the playoff run.  It's rare that a playoff bound team would act as a seller at the trade deadline.  That's like conceding defeat.

14 hours ago, TheBearded1 said:

depends on the structure of the team and the player in question I think. 

if a contender were to spend an aged UFA for a younger better piece before the deadline, you can bet they are considering it. 

if the player is part of the overall chemistry of the team, or a heavy contributor, it is less than likely you’ll see him traded. A cup is worth losing a single UFA over. No coach or GM wants to risk that. 

15 hours ago, TheBearded1 said:

Depending on the team and situation and the player some are looked at as a "free" rental for the team entering the playoffs.