Penguins to retire Jaromir Jagr's No. 68 jersey in February

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/penguins-to-retire-jaromir-jagrs-no-68-jersey-in-february/

In 1,733 career regular-season games, the six-foot-three, 230-pound winger scored 766 goals, 1,155 assists and 1,921 points.

He ranks fourth all-time in games played and goals, fifth in assists, and only Wayne Gretzky (2,857) has recorded more points than him.

Selected fifth overall by Pittsburgh in the 1990 NHL Draft, Jagr spent the first 11 seasons of his 24-year NHL career with the Penguins.

The 10-time all-star helped the Penguins win back-to-back Stanley Cups in 1991 and '92.

Only Chris Chelios (26), Gordie Howe (26) and Mark Messier (25) have played more seasons in the NHL than Jagr’s 24. He last played in the NHL at age 45 with the Calgary Flames in 2017-18.

He is a five-time Art Ross Trophy winner as the top scorer in the NHL and won the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP in 1998-99.

The 51-year-old Czechia native currently owns and plays for Rytiri Kladno of the Czech Extraliga.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd be happy if he signed a 1 day contract and suited up for one final game. I bet he's better than 1/3rd of the team even at his age.

I'd go even further and say that he might be better than half the league's players that currently find themselves on NHL rosters.  Certainly worth taking a $1mil gamble on for a year, if he was willing to accept such a low-paying contract.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'd go even further and say that he might be better than half the league's players that currently find themselves on NHL rosters.  Certainly worth taking a $1mil gamble on for a year, if he was willing to accept such a low-paying contract.

Give Sid and Geno one last shot?

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Give Sid and Geno one last shot?

Chances are, he won't abandon his current team.  He once told an interviewer (and I'm paraphrasing here) that the only reason why he can't retire is because once he does, the team his dad helped build would be no more.  He's the main reason why people still buy tickets to watch his team.  So even though he's probably as good or better than half the NHL's current players, there's very little chance that he'll leave his current team to die a death of starvation and asphyxiation while he pursues glory in the biggest league.

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Chances are, he won't abandon his current team.  He once told an interviewer (and I'm paraphrasing here) that the only reason why he can't retire is because once he does, the team his dad helped build would be no more.  He's the main reason why people still buy tickets to watch his team.  So even though he's probably as good or better than half the NHL's current players, there's very little chance that he'll leave his current team to die a death of starvation and asphyxiation while he pursues glory in the biggest league.

That’s true, but it would still be cool!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe within a year or two of when the Flames cut him loose.  That was five years or so ago.  I think there's no way he's NHL caliber at this point but the fact that he is still at a legitimate minor pro hockey level at his age is remarkable.