NHL DOP(e)S Wheel of Justice thread

For sharing recent rulings and discussion thereof.

Starting this thread off with our dear umlauted one:

Canucks forward Hoglander fined $2.8k for slew-footing

Canucks' Hoglander assessed match penalty and ejection for intent to injure Sharks' Lebanc

Play Video
Play
Mute

Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 2:51
Loaded: 5.78%

Fullscreen

Vancouver Canucks' Nils Hoglander receives a five minute match penalty and an automatic ejection for intent to injure, after a supposed slew foot on San Jose Sharks forward Kevin Lebanc.

Canadian-Press-1.pngCanadian Press |November 21, 2023, 12:53 PM

The NHL's Department of Player Safety says Canucks forward Nils Hoglander has been fined for slew-footing San Jose's Kevin Labanc during Vancouver's 3-1 win on Monday.

Hoglander has been fined US$2,864.58, the maximum allowable under the collective bargaining agreement between the league and the NHL Players' Association.

The Swedish forward was given a match penalty for the infraction and ejected from the game with Connor Garland serving the penalty for his teammate.

The incident happened near the end of the second period in front of the Canucks' bench, with Hoglander initially being given a minor penalty before that was overturned.

The Canucks doubled their lead shortly after the incident, with Sam Lafferty scoring a shorthanded goal.

Hoglander has five goals and eight points in 17 games this season, his fourth with the Canucks.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-forward-hoglander-fined-2-9k-for-slew-footing/

In case the Xitter embed doesn't embed in the quoted article above:

(PS, I know this ruling will have likely been posted already in the PGT and possibly other threads, but this thread is for discussion of DOP(e)S.)

• Vintage 1

I'm glad that he doesn't have a suspension on his record for this.  I guess they figured having him sit out the rest of the game was adequate supplemental punishment?  Because the only thing consistent about DOP(e)S is how inconsistent they are, and I've seen players get punished worse for less egregious behaviour. :classic_rolleyes:

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I still feel that a 5-minute major was all that was needed for Höglander. Was definitely a dangerous play, but I don't buy the "intent to injure" part. Could've been worse I guess. Didn't have a massive impact on the game, given that the only difference is that Höglander was gone for the rest of the game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I still feel that a 5-minute major was all that was needed. Was definitely a dangerous play, but I don't buy the "intent to injure" part. Could've been worse I guess. Didn't have a massive impact on the game, given that the only difference is that Hoglander was gone for the rest of the game.

Sadly, it also means that potentially he'll be a marked man, because other teams will be looking to make him do things that'll put him in front of DOP(e)S for consideration of supplemental punishment. :classic_unsure:

Just now, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sadly, it also means that potentially he'll be a marked man, because other teams will be looking to make him do things that'll put him in front of DOP(e)S for consideration of supplemental punishment. :classic_unsure:

Doesn't help that he's got a bit of honey badger in him. He'll likely become hated around the league just for playing with such high intensity.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I still feel that a 5-minute major was all that was needed. Was definitely a dangerous play, but I don't buy the "intent to injure" part. Could've been worse I guess. Didn't have a massive impact on the game, given that the only difference is that Hoglander was gone for the rest of the game.

It didn't even warrant a major imo was just a battle where he lost balance.

• Like 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

It didn't even warrant a major imo was just a battle where he lost balance.

Partially true, but the motion was a pretty obvious slew foot. The most charitable I can be to Hogs is that he didn't mean to be in that position, but it's pretty obvious to me that once it started happening, he went ahead with the slew foot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Partially true, but the motion was a pretty obvious slew foot. The most charitable I can be to Hogs is that he didn't mean to be in that position, but it's pretty obvious to me that once it started happening, he went ahead with the slew foot.

It was dumb. Could have cost the game. Refs over did it.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

nah he was getting knocked over it's hard to slewfoot someone intentionally while falling over. Was a shit call. 

19 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

how is it that EVERY fine, is the 'maximum allowable' ?

whether it's $1,000 or $5,000... it's still the maximum allowable. 

I'm assuming it's the max allowable in this case--probably linked to salary or something like that.

Seems ridiculous to me that $5k is the max. The NHL should push for fines of more in the next CBA. Even a league minimum player makes $9,451 gross income per game. They should increase it to be a percentage of the player's income (or cap hit) per game. Max fine should be like 80% of one game. That way a league minium player would get fined up to about $7,500 and a player like Matthew Tkachuk would be allowed to be fined up to $92,000. Much more significant, but still less than a one-game suspension.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

It was dumb. Could have cost the game. Refs over did it.

Counter point is that it could've cost Labanc his season if he had landed worse. I agree that the refs did overdo it with the game misconduct, but I still think 5 minutes would've been the right call.

i think he got off easy, I'd have given him a game. I don't think he's a vicious player or tried to injure him, but it was still a reckless thing to do, no need for that garbage. If it was a flames player doing that to Huggy, CFF would be rioting right now.

Edited by Rubik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I believe a slew foot is an automatic match penalty.  Would have to call it something else to make it a major, I guess.

19 minutes ago, Rubik said:

@6of1_halfdozenofother you might want to paste the text from here into your OP, so everyone is on the same page

https://www.nhl.com/news/topic/player-safety/player-safety-questions

@-AJ- - is there any way @Rubik's post (quoted here) can be pinned on this thread?  🙂 

Didn't really seem all that intentional, looked more like a battle for position and both players off balance, but it is what it is.  Definitely a penalty (interference, roughing, whatever you want to call it), but intentional slew footing, I don't know...  Seen much worse and little or no discipline handed out, so I can accept the game ejection and I won't lose any sleep over it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1