[Article] 2023-24 Quarter-season Awards – Vezina

Quarter-Season Winner - Vezina  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your Vezina winner for the first quarter of the season?

• Adin Hill
    • Thatcher Demko
    • Cam Talbot
    • Jeremy Swayman
    • John Gibson
    • Jake Oettinger
    • Linus Ullmark
    • Tristan Jarry
    • Jordan Binnington
    • Carter Hart
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/02/2023 at 10:51 AM

Thought I'd share a quick article I researched and wrote up on my picks for the Vezina leaders so far this year. 

Check it out here where it's formatted nicely (and bump up my page views <3): https://hookedonhockeyhistory.wordpress.com/2023/11/23/2023-24-quarter-season-awards-vezina/

Or, if you'd rather, I've also pasted the entire article here:

Believe it or not, it’s already that time of year again and we’re past the start of the season and have now hit the quarter mark of the season, with teams starting to play their 20th game of the season. Adding to what I’ve done in the past, this year, I will also do an analysis of the Vezina trophy leaders so far this year.

Despite the league continually increasing in offense over the past several years, there are still many outstanding netminders to highlight and at the end of the year, the greatest will be awarded the Vezina trophy. A few things to note: these are not predictions for the Vezina winners at the end of the year, but rather, my picks for the winners if the season were to end today. Additionally, I cut things off at a minimum of nine games per netminder, as I feel that not only do sample sizes become too small at lower numbers, but significantly easier workloads also tend to skew results for netminders. Vezina winners are almost always primary starting goaltenders.

Honourable Mention: Igor Shesterkin

The 2022 Vezina winner and Hart finalist may be off to a slower start for the Rangers than usual, but he’s still capable of stealing games. Playing on an elite Rangers team will help his numbers too.

Honourable Mention: Joseph Woll

25-year old Woll is getting his first stab at starter duties this year with the Maple Leafs. Despite playing a few games in the past two seasons, he’s still technically considered a rookie. The transition was almost immediate when he took over after a terrible start for Leafs netminder Ilya Samsonov early in the 5th Leafs game of the season and proceeded to stop all 27 shots he faced.

10. Carter Hart

hartc.webp?w=850

The Flyers have had an up and down start to the season and although the same can be said of Hart, overall, he’s been had a strong start to the year. His .915 save percentage is far above the league average of .902 and he shone in his team’s 3-0 victory over the Canucks in mid-October, stopping all 26 shots. If Hart can channel more consistency into his game, there’s a world where he can get serious Vezina consideration some day.

9. Jordan Binnington

binningtonj.webp?w=892

Although he’s struggled in his last couple of games, Binnington’s still had a very strong start to his season. The Blues don’t win as much with Binnington in the net as they do with backup Joel Hofer, but that’s not likely Binnington’s fault with a goals saved above expected (GSAx) of 5.9, good for sixth in the league among netminders with 9+ games. It’s a bit of a renaissance so far for Binnington, who hasn’t really been among the elite of the NHL’s goalies since shortly after his famous Stanley Cup run in 2019.

8. Tristan Jarry

jarryt.jpg?w=1024

Jarry has received some Vezina votes in past years, but he’s never been a serious contender. Jarry has had a few consistency issues, but he’s also earned three shutouts already this year and leads the league. His .916 save percentage and solid GSAx of 4.4 all with a heavy workload of 14 games already gives him the nod to slot here at 8th.

7. Linus Ullmark

ullmarkl.webp?w=1024

I’ll be honest: I wasn’t even going to consider goalies with fewer than 10 games for this list, but when I saw the results of Boston’s goalies and realized they both had 9 games, I knew I had to at least give them a mention. Sure, it’s easier to put up good numbers with a lighter workload, but at some point, a .932 save percentage deserves attention, even with an easier job. Not only that, but despite playing on an elite team, there is evidence that Ullmark is more than carrying his weight, with a GSAx of 6.6, good for 5th of all goalies with 9+ games.

6. Jake Oettinger

oettingerj.webp?w=1024

If I had written this ten days ago, there’s a good chance Oettinger would’ve been top 3 on this list, but aside from a good showing against Vegas, Oettinger hasn’t played as strong recently. Nonetheless, he finished 5th in Vezina voting last year and if this year is any indication of the future, the 25-year old netminder will likely be a finalist candidate for many years to come.

5. John Gibson

gibsonj.jpg?w=1024 Mandatory Credit: Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports

Quick, the Anaheim Ducks are struggling, but John Gibson is trying to drag them to relevance, what year is it?

If you guessed 2019, you’d be forgiven, because Gibson, despite turning 30 this year, has turned back the clock to start the season. He’s sporting a sparkling .921 save percentage and a very strong 5.0 goals saved above expected. Gibson is the highest ranking netminder on this list that has yet to secure shutout, but it’s bound to happen eventually with a guy who can steal games like he can.

4. Jeremy Swayman

swaymanj.jpg?w=1024

The only reason Swayman doesn’t break the top three here is that, like his partner in net, Ullmark, he’s only played 9 games, so he’s had a lighter workload. Even still, he has a shutout to his name and the league’s best save percentage at .933. Playing on a stacked Bruins team also helps keep his goals against average extremely low at just 2.09, but don’t get the mistaken impression that he’s a passenger on this Boston team. His GSAx is a very high 7.6, showing that he makes many difficult saves each night.

3. Cam Talbot

talbotc.jpg?w=1024 (Photo by Gerry Angus/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

By far the oldest goalie on this list, the 36-year old Talbot is, like Gibson, turning back the clock. Talbot had an outstanding year in 2016-17 with the Edmonton Oilers and finished 4th in Vezina voting and looks to be on track for a similar year in 2023-24 with the Los Angeles Kings. Talbot’s nine wins are part of a five-way tied for 2nd in the NHL and his goals saved above expected is staggering at 8.2. He is the current MVP of the Kings–who thought we’d be saying that this year?

2. Thatcher Demko

demkot2.webp?w=1024

The Vancouver Canucks have roared out to their best start in franchise history and Demko has been a key cog in that machine. Discussions about Demko as one of the league’s best have been around for a few years, but he hasn’t yet been able to put together a season that firmly places him among the very best in the NHL. So far, this has been that year.

Sure, he’s had a few rougher starts lately, but overall, Demko has been not only good, but outstanding and has continued his reputation for earning the Canucks wins they have no business with by stonewalling the opposition, as proven by his 10.4 goals saved above expected, the highest number in the NHL. The 2020 playoffs showed us how good Demko can be, and if he and the Canucks can remain competitive at the top, look for him to be a serious Vezina contender for the first time this year.

1. Adin Hill

hilla.jpg?w=1024

What an incredible story Adin Hill has been. From third round pick and perennial backup to the Stanley Cup as the starting netminder. The 27-year old British Columbia native has not only won a earned his first Cup ring, but he’s also proven that his run in the 2023 playoffs was no fluke.

Hill has an incredible 9-2-1 record with two shutouts to his name. He places 2nd in save percentage at .932 and is the only goalie below 2.00 GAA with 1.97. All this goes along with a 9.4 GSAx, which ranks 2nd and he’s shown himself to be the most well-rounded goaltender so far this year.

Other notables: Connor Ingram, Jacob Markstrom

• Vintage 1