[Report/Rumour] Elias Pettersson Contract Talks

3 hours ago, Bardown said:

12 million isn't a discount, that's the point

No… it’s pretty much market price. Anything under 11.4 (long term) would be getting into discount range. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I'd argue that most stars probably get paid full value, and that many of them do in fact take the biggest pay day they can. MacKinnon did, Matthews did, Nylander did, Dahlin did. Hughes will, Makar will, Draisaitl will, McDavid will. 

The team knew going into the season what Elias's stance was, they can be frustrated all they like but it's not as if they weren't aware of what he stance was. 

I don't think Elias ever wanted to be captain, I don't think that has anything to do with negotiations. He's never been keen on dealing with the media, why would he opt to do it every other day as a captain? 

Hughes was the best option, he bridges the gap between vets and youngsters and straddles the line between being laid back and competitive better than either Pettersson or Miller. More than likely Pettersson didn't want it, and Miller is better suited being able to focus on hockey and not having the media burden that comes with being a captain in a Canadian market. 

Sure, I agree that some of these high profile deals are full value but they are constructed on a tangible expectation/forecast of both the player and internal/external variables, including future value.

That’s how the market operates. Contracts aren’t just offered on what’s already been achieved but also what is perceived to be provided over term and in contrast to escalating price points and roster changes. This is why we are probably looking at 12mill+ for EP. At the end of whatever deal is signed, his desire to not negotiate now is also a way of positioning that his value will keep rising in contrast to league wide player valuations and possibly his own expectation is that his value will exceed whatever price point he signs at by the end of his next deal. As such, any disparity to him that way will warrant more money up front to insure against being paid below value. 

Im in no way against giving EP $12+, but if his main desire is to win, and we are accomplishing that, then there will almost have to be some money left on the table to ensure the team can roster to EP’s expectation. 

That said, his contract can also be structured to enable the team better positioning (eg. Signing bonuses) and clarity. The fact that any negotiation is off the table during the season isn’t just a personal preference but a tactic that creates uncertainty. That’s his prerogative, and also a wise move. The Nylander deal totally works in his favour, as will other high profile signings that occur from now until the resolution of negotiations.

My point is he holds the cards. If he wants to win that’s one thing. The question is where and with whom. 
if it’s not with us so be it, but no one should pretend that his success isn’t also due to the loyalty shown by this organization to build around his expectation. 

They have shown him exceptional loyalty, we will see how that resonates. 

And I’m not saying captaincy has anything to do with negotiations. What it does determine though is the personality and character of the player you’re potentially investing long term into. EP has always been a bit standoffish and agree with you that he probably didn’t want the responsibility. That’s fine with me. This team doesn’t need a reluctant captain. 
But it also doesn’t need a player potentially holding it hostage. 
That’s why I’m expecting that Trader Jim has some contingency succession planning in place. 

3 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

I hope not. It means more drama in a few years and lots of ‘will he’ or ‘won’t he’ sign again. 8 years is my goal of no more than $12 million per. We need more than him being well paid to win a cup.

At least with him being a UFA in that case we can trade him for a good haul if this same trend continues 

Thank god for John Shannon's bit here:

TL;DR - there's so much we don't know; Petey has never said he doesn't want to be here; he's been clear on not wanting to negotiate until the off-season; he doesn't owe fans anything based on the team's past failures since 2011. 

Nothing has changed. 

Edit: I facepalmed so hard when J-Pat asked: "isn't it funny how this is the flashpoint for Vancouver hockey fans after just coming off their big win [vs. Boston]?" 

Yeah, cause you're part of the media establishment that has been fanning this non-issue across airwaves. Idiot. 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Thank goodness...mostly so I can stop hearing Canuck fans whine about it lol

Dhaliwal is going to lose all / any credibility he has if this is true

only 2 days ago he said the Canucks were “very frustrated” that Petey wouldn’t even come to the table

it has set off anger with the fans, the media circus, and clearly if he signs soon they’ve been talking all along. 

which would mean Dhaliwal made it all up 

2 minutes ago, Bardown said:

only 2 days ago he said the Canucks were “very frustrated” that Petey wouldn’t even come to the table

it has set off anger with the fans, the media circus, and clearly if he signs soon they’ve been talking all along. 

Or maybe that's what Nux told him yesterday or so. Then they got on the phone with agent.  Who knows.  I don't think they are making stuff up.  

Also EP may also be frustrated with his play/distraction and told his agent to get it done today. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bardown said:

Maybe the reports got Petey to the table?

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Or maybe that's what Nux told him yesterday or so. Then they got on the phone with agent.  Who knows.  I don't think they are making stuff up.  

Also EP may also be frustrated with his play/distraction and told his agent to get it done today. 

If they’re close it’s been ongoing. 

I’ve worked with legal contracts and discussions, they take months 

Just now, BPA said:

Maybe. 

Let’s hope he does Canucks a solid and takes a discount.  😃 

We might see below 12 but above 11.5. Fingers crossed. I'll be pumped it's done and Allvin can get back to cooking. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I think this is very possible after the shit show this week…they’re were like get it done now, especially Pettersson.

Just now, Jester13 said:

Maybe the reports got Petey to the table?

My feeling is EPs subpar play of late.  He knows what he can do.  If it's becoming too much of a distraction, so he said fuck it, bitch, and told his agent to call Nux.