The NY Rangers have used a new (or old?) technique to have the league's best faceoff percentage

Without any changes at centre position, the Rags have gone from being 19th in faceoffs last year to 1st place this season.  Everyone has started to take faceoffs on the strong side, regardless of whether they're left-handed or right-handed.  It's an old school move used occasionally by players in the past and discussed by people like Don Cherry, but never before as a dedicated team strategy.  Michael Peca was brought in this year to help New York on faceoffs, and it's clearly paid off.

The Canucks are a decent team at faceoffs, currently in 14th place and bolstered by a focused J.T. Miller.  I wonder if our team should try this and see if it works out.  Clearly the pros outweigh the cons... at least right now.

• Like 1

This leads me to an observation I have about Miller's faceoffs. How is it that he consistently wins on the forehand when he has to sweep the puck? It's legitimately impressive. Any center not named JT on our team should start trying this technique from the video out, which I think Malhotra used to do, and he's one of the best faceoff men in history. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

This leads me to an observation I have about Miller's faceoffs. How is it that he consistently wins on the forehand when he has to sweep the puck? It's legitimately impressive. Any center not named JT on our team should start trying this technique from the video out, which I think Malhotra used to do, and he's one of the best faceoff men in history. 

Ah, Manny.  Toronto is exactly where they were last year in team FO%: 4th in the NHL.  He is doing great stuff for the Maple Leafs.  Met him once - super nice family man.

Funny tidbit: Malhotra was indeed a protégé of the helmetless one, Craig MacTavish, who (to our great detriment) is known for one of the most famous faceoff wins in modern hockey history... the cup-clincher of the 1994 Final.  Oof.

I do not believe Malhotra ever switched hands at the dot.  But I do remember getting especially low to the ice, almost in a yoga pose.  Worked wonders for him.  J.T. Miller is sitting at 55% this year, which has been huge for getting puck possession.  I wonder how his splits look like if you divide his strong side / weak side draws.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Ah, Manny.  Toronto is exactly where they were last year in team FO%: 4th in the NHL.  He is doing great stuff for the Maple Leafs.  Met him once - super nice family man.

Funny tidbit: Malhotra was indeed a protégé of the helmetless one, Craig MacTavish, who (to our great detriment) is known for one of the most famous faceoff wins in modern hockey history... the cup-clincher of the 1994 Final.  Oof.

I do not believe Malhotra ever switched hands at the dot.  But I do remember getting especially low to the ice, almost in a yoga pose.  Worked wonders for him.  J.T. Miller is sitting at 55% this year, which has been huge for getting puck possession.  I wonder how his splits look like if you divide his strong side / weak side draws.

Miller has been doing this for a while now. 

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

It might have been Beagle who did it, but I remember one of our defensive forwards the last 10 or so years did it.