[Re-signing] Montreal re-signs Montembeault 3 x $3.15m

• qwijjibo changed the title to [Re-signing] Montreal re-signs Montembeault 3 x $3.15m
Just now, AatuD2 said:

I haven't paid attention too much to the Habs this year, how has he looked? 

Really solid.  He's top 15 in the league for goals saved above expected/60.  He was 13th in that category last season.  This is going to look like a serious bargain as Montreal's young D matures and starts helping him out more 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/1/2023 at 11:12 AM, qwijjibo said:

Really solid.  He's top 15 in the league for goals saved above expected/60.  He was 13th in that category last season.  This is going to look like a serious bargain as Montreal's young D matures and starts helping him out more 

….. Sounds very average 🫣

1 hour ago, Dizzle said:

….. Sounds very average 🫣

Montreal has been playing behind a patchwork of young D for the past couple seasons.  This year they literally only have one veteran defenceman in Matheson.  Thier second most experienced defenceman since Savard got hurt is Kovacevic with just over 100 career games.  Take all that into consideration then factor in that he has some of the best 5v5 GSAA stars in the league. It's Montreaks penalty kill (plus the fact that they're the most penalized team in the league) that has dragged down his stats. 

Screenshot_20231203_172205_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

I had Montembeault in a keeper league fantasy hockey pool, and knowing a lot about him and his game, I am stymied by this signing. Too much for a backup and yet not enough for a competent number 1. Sums up Sam for me.

So you took a goalie on the 2nd youngest team on the league  that are carrying three goalies and only have 1 veteran defenceman and you blame the goalie for poor fantasy performance? 

The advanced stats on Montembeault say hes a very good goalie.  Good enough to carry Canada to gold this past spring.  

Montreal takes a lot of penalties and their PK isn't great. I don't think you know as much about Montembeault as you think. 

Also, the average goalie aav in the NHL is $3.17m. So Montembeault's contract is right in line with that 

Finally, the average gaa and sv% in the league this year are 2.95 and .903 respectively.  Montembeault has a .910 sv% and 2.73 gaa.  

(Again playing behind primarily guys who have well under 100 games played) 

Edited by qwijjibo

8 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

So you took a goalie on the 2nd youngest team on the league  that are carrying three goalies and only have 1 veteran defenceman and you blame the goalie for poor fantasy performance? 

The advanced stats on Montembeault say hes a very good goalie.  Good enough to carry Canada to gold this past spring.  

Montreal takes a lot of penalties and their PK isn't great. I don't think you know as much about Montembeault as you think. 

Also, the average goalie aav in the NHL is $3.17m. So Montembeault's contract is right in line with that 

Finally, the average gaa and sv% in the league this year are 2.95 and .903 respectively.  Montembeault has a .910 sv% and 2.73 gaa.  

(Again playing behind primarily guys who have well under 100 games played) 

I haven't payed close attention this year, that sounds great for the guy, I was talking about several years running 2019ish thru the end of last season... 3.42 gaa last year, 3.77 the year before, and the year in Florida two years earlier (yeah i opened his EP page to look just now) 3.34 in florida..

Glad to hear he is having a better season finallly at 2.73GAA but I still think he is in no mans land of too expensive for a backup and not good enough to be your number one. Shrug. 

19 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I haven't payed close attention this year, that sounds great for the guy, I was talking about several years running 2019ish thru the end of last season... 3.42 gaa last year, 3.77 the year before, and the year in Florida two years earlier (yeah i opened his EP page to look just now) 3.34 in florida..

Glad to hear he is having a better season finallly at 2.73GAA but I still think he is in no mans land of too expensive for a backup and not good enough to be your number one. Shrug. 

Except he is a good starter.  You have to apply some context when looking at his gaa and sv% from the past couple seasons.  Montreal set records for man games lost in each of the last two seasons. And that's on top of starting a rebuild.   He was hung out to dry on a nightly basis.  You'd actually have to watch the games to get a sense of how he played. 

3 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Except he is a good starter.  You have to apply some context when looking at his gaa and sv% from the past couple seasons.  Montreal set records for man games lost in each of the last two seasons. And that's on top of starting a rebuild.   He was hung out to dry on a nightly basis.  You'd actually have to watch the games to get a sense of how he played. 

I love that you like the guy, i am a Montreal fan of sorts, and have watched about fifty of this guys games, only two this year though. Enjoy.