Ottawa Senators fire DJ Smith, Jacques Martin interim head coach

This team finds ways to lose like no other team. They have a goal differential of only -1 and are somehow 4th from the bottom of the entire league.

By way of comparison the Islanders have a goal differential of -6 and are 3rd in their division and 12th in the league.

Team has such a loser identity and mentality. Hopefully this changes things but promoting Jacques Martin seems like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Is this just as a favour to DJ Smith to relieve the stress?  Why do this now and not back when they still had a shot?

If Staios is still just an interim GM, any new GM will want to pick their own coach.  Just ask Bruce how well that works when the coach is hired before the GM.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

They really reminded me of the last 3 seasons of the Canucks from 2020-2023. We use to be the team that we would find ways to lose. Plays bad, we get blown out. Plays well, and gets a 2 goal lead, we will blow it and lose in regulation. Plays exceptionally well and put up 40+ SOG just to get goalied. A penalty called against us in a tie game late in the 3rd, it's definitely going to end up in the back of our net. At the end of the night, the post-game presser for Green would be "I thought we played well, had some looks/chances, but just couldn't convert. Couple of bounces go our way, we would walk away with 2 points. You also got to tip your hat to the other team, they are a really good hockey team over there etc."

Came a long way to this season, and I believe with new ownership, management, Ottawa will be a good team in the near future. They have a good core signed to long-term as well.

Good post. It's not like they're devoid of talent. But it's not a great roster. It just goes to show how important a good 3rd line is and reliable # 3 and 4 defencemen and a decent back up goalie and of course a good coach who can keep the ship on course.

The difference between them and the Canucks (apart from more talent on the Canucks) is the Canucks play like a team and the Senators play like guys afraid of losing their jobs.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Martin? Meh. But don't think the young snowflakes can handle a Berube type. He had a veteran team in St Louis when he won. I wonder if coaches like him will become rarer and rarer as this new generation of player takes over the NHL. 

How old are you ? Do you work ?

40 minutes ago, Blue said:

Isn't Jauques Martin 100 years old ? Wtf ? Woodcroft is out there and you hire this tosser ?

They don’t want to make the mistake the Canucks made 2 years ago. Hire a coach before GM. Martin is a good interim placement while they continue to evaluate and search for their GM and have their GM hire their coach. 

• ThereItIs 1

57 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Martin? Meh. But don't think the young snowflakes can handle a Berube type. He had a veteran team in St Louis when he won. I wonder if coaches like him will become rarer and rarer as this new generation of player takes over the NHL. 

It's why I'm glad we have Tocc. He, for now anyway, has the ear of everyone on the team.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Agreed. Tochett is wired different than most of these old school coaches. He's tough, like you need to be, but by all accounts, fair. I hear of individual player meetings and I see the interactions on the bench. That's all I have to go off of. Someone mentioned the other day, maybe it was you. There is talking down to a player to make him better, or a coach talking down to a player make himself feel special. Tochett, from what I can see is above that. Why wouldn't he be? Stellar career, Stanley Cup rings, Team Canada and he's still in great shape. He seems confident and doesn't need to pull a Keenan to boost his own ego. I quite like him, but like you said though, "for now anyways"

I think his brief legal issues humbled him a bit too.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

The sens do not have a good veteran presence.  They need to add 2-3 more good vets 

True. I wonder if teams like Ottawa, Columbus, Jersey are kicking themselves for not going hard after JT when his future here was in doubt. They, and some other teams, could really use a player like him. He really should be getting more praise for his play so far this season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

True. I wonder if teams like Ottawa, Columbus, Jersey are kicking themselves for not going hard after JT when his future here was in doubt. They, and some other teams, could really use a player like him. He really should be getting more praise for his play so far this season.

He is a top player in this league. VERY UNDERRATED.  WHOOPS CAPS.

Most important forward on this team currently

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1