'Winning cures a lot': Canucks' Miller learning to effectively manage emotion

Make no mistake - Miller is still a madman on the ice.  He is still a grouch and still a penalty-taking machine.  That hasn't changed.

But his play has improved.  He is just playing objectively better hockey now, doing what he does best - get on the scoresheet.

He still hates everyone and everything.  All good.

• Like 1

I really like these two quotes about working on his emotions, focus, and being proactive in finding solutions.

This is all about making changes as a person, a player, and as a team. It's also about growth and communication.

He's really backing up the changes and growth with results.

Miller will make a great coach when his playing days are over.

“It's a constant ... not struggle, but I want to work on it. I understand that when I'm upset, it can affect the emotion of the team and I don't want that. That's the last thing I want, and that's the guilt I've got to live with when I do burst or whatever the hell it is. For most of the time, my energy is spent in the right direction. I think we're just trying to get another five or 10 per cent focus.”

"“It's the experience and it's the maturity that everybody was sick of losing,” Miller said. “It's easy to say you're sick of losing, right? But you've got to do something in order to change that. We've talked about it a lot. For the first time it feels like everybody kind of knows their role, and it's felt like that since camp."

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The reality is that Miller who knows when to let his emotions fuel him and when to hold it back is the perfect player. Really the only complaint I ever had was that he would sometimes let it get the best of him.

I always felt like the master of this give and take with emotional play was Jarome Iginla. Angry Iginla didn't make stupid decisions, he just got better.

True....

The last thing you wanted to do when playing flames, was wakening up Iginla...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Being on a winning team will help with alot of things. That being said, he still CLEARLY is a pain in the ass to play against, and I'm glad he's on our team. And I'll own 1 thing here, I wasn't a fan of giving up a 1st rounder, correct me if I'm wrong, to get him. But I'm happy with that now.

1 hour ago, gwarrior said:

Being on a winning team will help with alot of things. That being said, he still CLEARLY is a pain in the ass to play against, and I'm glad he's on our team. And I'll own 1 thing here, I wasn't a fan of giving up a 1st rounder, correct me if I'm wrong, to get him. But I'm happy with that now.

the canucks will just never be the same without vaunted san jose barracuda, shakir mukhamadullin. 

Edited by tas
  • Haha 1

I wish everyone who had wanted to cap dump brock, and even add assets to offload him, and to trade jt for peanuts could just have a genuine, earnest moment of reflection and self-awareness and use the lessons learned in the future. 

next time you think you know better, just think back to this and stop flapping your gums. you're aren't a smart hockey mind. the professionals know better than you do. try humility instead of hubris. 

the nice thing about having foresight is you don't have to worry about these things. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yea but he yelled at a backup goalie who's name I can't remember, and something about Bruce.

I believe it was Colin Delia. As for the Bruce thing, I don't know. But being on a, lack of a better term, shit team will do that.

JT gets a lot of criticism for wearing his heart on his sleeve. But I think his passion is what makes him him. When he's on his game he makes his own room out there. His passion inspires others to play bigger.

To be honest I liked him like that right outta the gate. And knew it's the type of gung ho this locker room needed, badly.

Excited to see what he does in the playoffs. We might be facing a team like Nashville or LA and you'd hope Miller takes it to another level. I don't think Petey is quite ready but Miller is the quintessential Kesler-like player. Expect 2PPG in the first round against these sorts of teams from him and some massive forecheck hits to get the home crowd excited. His first shift in the playoffs is going to be huge.