ECHL’s Kalamazoo Wings sign goaltender Mariah Fujimagari to PTO

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/echls-kalamazoo-wings-sign-goaltender-mariah-fujimagari-to-pto

The Kalamazoo Wings, the ECHL affiliate of the NHL’s Vancouver Canucks, announced on Monday that they’ve signed rookie goaltender Mariah Fujimagari to a professional tryout agreement.

Kalamazoo adds strength up front and in the crease with Yeamans and Fujimagari signings. #IgniteTheFlighthttps://t.co/nUByC83YUU

— Kalamazoo Wings (@KalamazooWings) September 18, 2023

The 29-year-old goaltender played professionally in the SDHL for AIK in 2022-23.

“Mariah is an athletic goaltender that battles on every shot and reads the play well,” said Joel Martin, Kalamazoo’s Director of Hockey Operations and Head Coach.

Before joining the K-Wings, the netminder spent four years at the University of Maine from 2013-17, and put forth a 7-9-2 record with a .898 career save percentage. Afterwards, Fujimagari played for SKP Bratislava in Slovakia for one season before joining the Worcester Blades (CWHL) in 2018-19. 

In 2019-20, Fijumagari suited up for the Buffalo Beauts (NWHL) before spending the next two seasons with the Connecticut Whale (NWHL/PHF). While with the Whale in 2021-22, the netminder made five appearances and posted a record of 5-0-0 with a 1.40 goals against average, a .938 save percentage, and two shutouts. 

“I couldn’t be happier to join the K-Wings,” Fujimagari said. “I’m going to make sure to set the tone from the start with a solid performance every day. I’m most excited to be a part of the Kalamazoo community and skate in front of the amazing fans.”

Fujimagari was selected as an NWHL All-Star in 2020, was nominated as a Denna Laing Award Finalist in 2022, and has served as a global ambassador for the EWHL, CWHL, SDHL, and the NWHL/PHF. She also served as an alternate captain with Maine in 2017, conveying the leadership aspects present within her game.

Kalamazoo is set to kick off their 2023-24 regular season on Saturday, Oct. 21 against the Toledo Walleye at 7:00 p.m. EST at the Wings Event Center.

I haven't seen anyone post about this but I think it's pretty cool that the Kalamazoo Wings have brought in Mariah Fujimagari for a PTO. There's been a trend in recent years, especially in junior, with teams bringing in female goalies. If Mariah makes the K-Wings, she'll be the first female player in ECHL history.

With that said, the Canucks have a lot of goalie depth right now which includes: Demko, DeSmith, Martin, Silovs, Sawchenko, Tolopilo, and Jonathan Lemieux so the odds she snags the backup job in ECHL seem... low unless Martin or DeSmith end up getting claimed on waivers.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 4:23 PM, Chon derry said:

Like the great don Cherry once said about magnon rheaume joining the lightning. ‘ I’d throw a puck into her ‘  he actually this on cherrys corner :classic_laugh:

That's funny. I can totally see that Ron MacLean, "Did he just say that on live TV?", face expression!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Honest question..

Does anybody really fucking care? 

You opened the thread and typed a comment, so I reckon yeah.

I've never seen Fujimagari play, but I'm assuming she's unlikely to climb very high in professional "men's" hockey. Despite that I've long thought sports should be generally coed, with division based on physical attributes relevant to the sport, so I care about this - albeit not that much.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've never seen Fujimagari play, but I'm assuming she's unlikely to climb very high in professional "men's" hockey. Despite that I've long thought sports should be generally coed, with division based on physical attributes relevant to the sport, so I care about this - albeit not that much.

My concern is with the hockey culture that still exists: Beach, 2018 WJHC team, ect.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

What do you mean by this?

3 hours ago, ManbeastMARK said:

What do you mean by this?

Somewhere between the weight classes in combat sports and the multiple catergories in events like the paralympics. I can't see the world heading in that direction anytime soon and I don't really care enough to die on this particular hill. Personally though, I'd watch professional sub 5' basketball over NBA any day of the week.

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

Somewhere between the weight classes in combat sports and the multiple catergories in events like the paralympics. I can't see the world heading in that direction anytime soon and I don't really care enough to die on this particular hill. Personally though, I'd watch professional sub 5' basketball over NBA any day of the week.

I don't see how that wouldn't just result in men completely dominating and essentially wiping out women from sports. FYI Sub 5' basketball would be horrible compared to the NBA. Are you in to freakshow type events or something? I personally prefer best on best and the top level of men's sports represents that.

On 9/21/2023 at 8:53 PM, Don Brodka Jr said:

Honest question..

Does anybody really fucking care? 

I think it’s pretty neat. 

She’s gotta be ecstatic for the chance to make history. Same with her family and friends and past teammates. I bet other female hockey players/goalies are aware and interested in the outcome. 

So yeah, to answer your question, I reckon there’s some care out there and here.