[discussion] Comparing our starting lineup to last year’s: part 4 - the fourth line

Huggy Bear

Comparing our starting lineup to last year’s: part 4 - the fourth line  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How will the fourth line perform compared to last year?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/12/2023 at 02:00 AM

With practice lines this morning revealing a more realistic starting NHL lineup, how does it compare to last years?

Fourth line : Upgraded Center, two big Summers, and our new PK1

• Åman and Studnicka are showing some of the biggest off-season gains, returning faster and stronger than last year. They’ve shown early chemistry with Blueger, and Tocchet is rewarding them with ice time over Dakota Joshua

• Blueger’s defensive prowess was on full display in Edmonton, with speed, great positioning, and an active stick. He led the first unit PK that shut out the Oilers over 4 chances.  He should instantly improve our PK, and share some key match ups in 5 on 5, freeing up EP40 and JTM9 for more offensive deployments.

What are your thoughts? How will this line perform compared to last year’s?

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

With practice lines this morning revealing a more realistic starting NHL lineup, how does it compare to last years?

Fourth line : Upgraded Center, two big Summers, and our new PK1

• Åman and Studnicka are showing some of the biggest off-season gains, returning faster and stronger than last year. They’ve shown early chemistry with Blueger, and Tocchet is rewarding them with ice time over Dakota Joshua

• Blueger’s defensive prowess was on full display in Edmonton, with speed, great positioning, and an active stick. He led the first unit PK that shut out the Oilers over 4 chances.  He should instantly improve our PK, and share some key match ups in 5 on 5, freeing up EP40 and JTM9 for more offensive deployments.

What are your thoughts? How will this line perform compared to last year’s?

Can they possibly be worse? 😅

Studnicka has been impressive, playing within his role to a "T"

Blueger is the type of player we've been sorely missing, and I was stoked when we acquired him

As for Dakota, I'm not as big on the guy as others are, and I'm glad to see that player's won't be gifted a spot based on their tenure

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

Can they possibly be worse? 😅

I doubt it. This one is probably a no-brainer with Blueger at C, but the other two players are returning after decent (Åman) and poor (Studnicka) showings.

I’m more confident in Åman, especially moving to the wing. I’m hopeful for Studnicka, but I really didn’t like his game last season. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

I doubt it. This one is probably a no-brainer with Blueger at C, but the other two players are returning after decent (Åman) and poor (Studnicka) showings.

I’m more confident in Åman, especially moving to the wing. I’m hopeful for Studnicka, but I really didn’t like his game last season. 

I didn't like his game at all last season either, but I think he's making a statement so far, we'll see how it plays out.

• Cheers 1

Expecting some mix of a dogfight between Aman/ Studnicka/ Joshua/ PDG for the winger spots, but as long as Blueger's holding down the middle, I wonder if it really matters how much the wingers do, as long as they're hitting.  Heck I'd even want them to reward Bains with a look (e.g. for a local game so his friends and family can come watch) given how his preseason's looked so far.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I don't believe Blueger should be playing on the forth line. Should be our 3c. He's miles ahead of Suter who I think is struggling to adjust. 

I agree with this. I'd like Suter to centre a third 'scoring' unit with closer to 4th line ice time, while Blueger's line handles secondary shut down responsibilities. That said, Garland looks good thus far with Suter, and he deserves more than 4th line minutes... 

Balancing the 3rd/4th minutes, zone starts, etc should work well enough, regardless of how either line is designated each night.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1