[proposal] waiver claim - John Hayden (SEA)

waiver claim - John Hayden (SEA)  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you target this player on waivers, at the cost of exposing one of our depth forwards?

@smithers joe you asked about potential checking wingers waiver targets, so this one’s for you.

• Hayden played for Tocchet’s 20/21 Coyotes, and was 2nd in PIMs among forwards
  • He’s 28 y/o,6’3” 223lbs. Shoots right, and plays either wing
  • Signed to a 1 year, two-way deal with the Kraken for $775k
  • He’s competing with players like PE Bellemare and Devin Shore for Seattle’s 13th forward, so its likely he’s sent down at the end of camp.

SCOUTING REPORT

The big (6'3") winger can play on either side of center and contribute physically. Was a big scorer in college hockey but has yet to show those skills at the NHL level. Not much of a passer, he is more than willing to go to the dirty areas offensively and will stand up for his teammates. His speed is an asset on the forecheck.

Long Range Potential: Big depth winger.

Ironically, he and Joshua had a fight last preseason, but it didn’t amount to much. Joshua lands a left, Hayden misses a right, then lands a few punches to the back of the head as the refs break it up…

Here’s an impressive scrap with Foligno a few years back

Could be an improvement on Joshua and Studnicka, if we just want more size (without sacrificing speed) on our fourth line.

Personally, I’m not too interested in fighting ability, but appreciate having a heavy deterrent in our bottom six.

Would be more interested to see the quality and frequency of his hits on the forecheck.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

i'm looking more for a hard to play against winger for petey and kuz's line, that will give them more freedom to bring their strengths to the game.

miller and boeser need mikheyev's speed and defensive play to make that line more successful.

diguiseppe would be perfect on a line with suter and garland

joshua with blueger and either aman or studnika.

wheres burrows when you need him?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

30 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

As much as I'd like some grit. We have to make sure we get the fundamentals down. We also have to clear up some more cap room.

Agreed. I wonder if the Canucks will target players like these, given Tocchet’s comments on PDG, and wanting Joshua to play a physical style.

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i'm looking more for a hard to play against winger for petey and kuz's line, that will give them more freedom to bring their strengths to the game.

miller and boeser need mikheyev's speed and defensive play to make that line more successful.

diguiseppe would be perfect on a line with suter and garland

joshua with blueger and either aman or studnika.

wheres burrows when you need him?

Ah, gotcha.  I like Mikheyev on the second as well, and PDG would add size on the third. Are you trading Högs in this scenario?

Another Burrows would be amazing.

7 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Agreed. I wonder if the Canucks will target players like these, given Tocchet’s comments on PDG, and wanting Joshua to play a physical style.

Ah, gotcha.  I like Mikheyev on the second as well, and PDG would add size on the third. Are you trading Högs in this scenario?

What we really need, is to move a guy like Garland for a Trennin/Crouse type.

Claiming a guy like Hayden probably just displaces one of Studnicka/Aman....I mean maybe... but it's not moving the needle a lot.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

What we really need, is to move a guy like Garland for a Trennin/Crouse type.

Claiming a guy like Hayden probably just displaces one of Studnicka/Aman....I mean maybe... but it's not moving the needle a lot.

Yep. Those are the ideal targets. Physical players with skill/strong PK ability

4 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

for me the jury is still out on beauvillier and hoglander. not sure yet, where they fit in. are they goal scorers, playmakers or gritty board battlers?

both tocchet and rutherford claimed the mix was wrong last year. imo the PK got better but looking at teams like vegas, did we get tougher to play against up front?

27 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

for me the jury is still out on beauvillier and hoglander. not sure yet, where they fit in. are they goal scorers, playmakers or gritty board battlers?

both tocchet and rutherford claimed the mix was wrong last year. imo the PK got better but looking at teams like vegas, did we get tougher to play against up front?

Fair points.  We seem to be deploying them as forecheckers, and they’re on the smaller side for that. 

one guy on waivers today sounds like a possible upgrade, in the style of Burrows:

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/26280/Mikhail_Maltsev

19 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Maybe. I heard Dries was claimed. Is that true?

The other thing about waiving Joshua; I think we're down to 13 healthy forwards which is kind of the minimum.

Tocchet can be unhappy about Joshua's conditioning and send messages but still realize he's probably a guy he needs this year. I think that's where we're at right now.

• Like 1

And it might be something more than Joshua's conditioning Tocchet is upset about. It could be a simple matter of the coach giving everyone a plan for the summer and Joshua not working on the things he was expected to work on. Everyone assumes it's conditioning related but I haven't really seen any sign of him being out of shape.