[Speculation] NHL Rumors Oct 3 2023: Ducks, Blackhawks, Oilers, Avalanche

NHL Rumors: Ducks, Blackhawks, Oilers, Avalanche

Is Trevor Zegras Inevitably Leaving the Ducks?

During the Canadiens versus Maple Leafs intermission, the Sportsnet panel recently discussed Trevor Zegras‘ new contract extension, a three-year deal worth $5.75 million per season. While Elliotte Friedman, Justin Bourne, and Nick Kypreos agreed that the annual amount was fair, they noted the short duration suggested limited confidence from the Anaheim organization in Zegras. Given GM Pat Verbeek’s traditional hockey mindset, Zegras’ flashy plays were acknowledged, but doubts lingered about his ability to lead a team to playoff success.

Kypreos emphasized Verbeek’s focus on Zegras proving himself beyond highlight-reel moments, indicating he wasn’t yet considered a superstar. Kypreos even suggested Zegras might wear a different uniform if he doesn’t step up in the next year and a half. Friedman added that if Zegras does become the superstar Anaheim needs, the contract negotiation might leave a bitter memory, implying potential dissatisfaction on Zegras’ part.

Blackhawks Looking at Matt Grzelcyk?

Boston Hockey Now’s Jimmy Murphy reported that NHL teams are showing keen interest in Bruins defenseman Matt Grzelcyk, according to insights from an NHL scout. This interest intensifies amid impressive performances from Boston’s young prospects, notably defenseman Mason Lohrei. The source disclosed that the Chicago Blackhawks are notably intrigued by Grzelcyk, citing his superior skills compared to their current left-shot defensemen and their available cap space.

The scout told BHN. “Maybe Donny [Sweeney] should ring up Kyle [Davidson] again in Chicago? Grzelcyk is better than any left-shot D they have now, and they have cap space. He could be great on their powerplay.”

Oilers Set Up to Go After Hellebuyck

According to The Athletic’s Allan Mitchell, Edmonton Oilers GM Ken Holland is in a prime position to orchestrate a significant trade this season, likely his final year as an NHL general manager with Edmonton due to his expiring contract. Mitchell suggests that the pressure on Holland to secure a Stanley Cup for Edmonton, combined with the abundance of talented young players in the organization who have yet to establish themselves in the NHL, justifies the possibility of parting with valuable assets in a major trade.

Mitchell identifies potential targets for the Oilers, including Winnipeg Jets goaltender Connor Hellebuyck, Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Brett Pesce, and Philadelphia Flyers winger Travis Konecny. However, any such acquisitions would require significant salary adjustments to maintain cap compliance, given that the Oilers can only afford one additional skater at the start of the season.

Mitchell writes:

“Acquiring Hellebuyck early would be a brazen move that could tip the scales in favour of Edmonton. Is giving up some combination of the first-round pick, Stuart Skinner, Dylan Holloway or Philip Broberg too much to contemplate? For Holland and the management team, it’s worth a conversation. Now and later.”

source – ‘Lowetide: Do the Edmonton Oilers have a blockbuster trade in their future?’ – Allan Mitchell – The Athletic – 10/02/2023

Avalanche Worried About Lengthy Deal for Devon Toews?

According to Elliotte Friedman on the “32 Thoughts” podcast, Devon Toews’ age might pose a challenge in his contract extension talks with the Colorado Avalanche. The 29-year-old defenseman, turning 30 in February, could face reluctance from the Avs to commit to a long-term deal exceeding five years, as per league speculations.

Even if Toews was open to a shorter-term deal, it’s hard to see where the money will come from for the Avs who have Toews in at $4.1 million right now. It’s unlikely he’s anything less than a $7 million per year defenseman based on the current market. If the cap jumps significantly, he’ll be able to fetch a lot more.

October 3, 2023 by Jim Parsons

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-october-3-2023/

• Upvote 1

This is all meh for me.

What I am interested in is how do we swap Podkolzin for Broberg.  Seems Broberg is trending downwards in edmonton and is the subject of insane speculation and rumours about being moved for help on the blue line and or forward core.

Toews will be an $8 million player.

Zegras will go to some wealthy US team like NY or Tampa or even Vegas who will magically make it work.

Helly doesn't seem keen on staying in Canada really and the likelihood of being in edmonton is probably enticing during the remainder of his deal but he'd flee afterwards

Anything that hurts the Bruins I am in for.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

This is all meh for me.

What I am interested in is how do we swap Podkolzin for Broberg.  Seems Broberg is trending downwards in edmonton and is the subject of insane speculation and rumours about being moved for help on the blue line and or forward core.

Zegras will go to some wealthy US team like NY or Tampa or even Vegas who will magically make it work.

Helly doesn't seem keen on staying in Canada really and the likelihood of being in edmonton is probably enticing during the remainder of his deal but he'd flee afterwards

my only concern with Broberg is previous injury issues and what seems to be him predisposed to them, and how that may have affect his future development. 

2 minutes ago, RWJC said:

my only concern with Broberg is previous injury issues and what seems to be him predisposed to them, and how that may have affect his future development. 

He screams slow burn.  His underlying #s are still incredibly promising and he's under Ekholm this season which will be good for him.

While an LHD can't argue with the level of potential his size and skating abilities.  He'd be an interesting pick up

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He screams slow burn.  His underlying #s are still incredibly promising and he's under Ekholm this season which will be good for him.

While an LHD can't argue with the level of potential his size and skating abilities.  He'd be an interesting pick up

I agree, but you absolutely must factor in his successive injuries going back to junior. He has a very difficult time staying healthy and as such it’s also a crapshoot as to how much you would get out of him on a consistent level. 
I’ve followed his career because I drafted him in a keeper pool years ago thinking he might be a sleeper pick if he could remain healthy. That’s proven tough for the guy. 

One thing the Nux don’t need are guys who have a hard time being healthy and inevitably cause consistent roster pairing, structure and/or chemistry issues due to their absence. I realize it’s hard to determine the future and also you have to expect injuries will occur, but given the amount of playing time lost amongst players who would and should have been key contributors in their roles in the last number of seasons, I firmly believe the club has to elevate reliability as one of their key conditions in acquiring or promoting a player, and imho that directly relates to their injury history

Edited by RWJC

Toews would be a great get for any team but he is going to command premium dollars and term. He can afford to go for the money having won a cup, and probably will. If anyone is gonna get him on a more palatable deal it'll probably be the Avs though.

If I were Winnipeg I would tell Edmonton:

it would take:

Skinner + Draisaitl + 1st round pick 

Edmonton retains half of Leon's last 2 years and the Jets throw in a 2nd. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

it would take:

That would be a hell of a price to pay for a goalie who is in the last year of his contract.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gwarrior said:

That would be a hell of a price to pay for a goalie who is in the last year of his contract.

if the Oilers are that desperate then Hellybuck could be the answer to what they want.

sometimes teams have to overpay to get better. 

Unless Winnipeg decides that take the 2nd out and the retention out and they add Schieffle .

so that would make it:

Skinner + Draisaitl for Schieffle + Hellybuck plus maybe Ed changes the 1st for a 2nd/3rd

29 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

if the Oilers are that desperate then Hellybuck could be the answer to what they want.

sometimes teams have to overpay to get better. 

Unless Winnipeg decides that take the 2nd out and the retention out and they add Schieffle .

so that would make it:

Skinner + Draisaitl for Schieffle + Hellybuck plus maybe Ed changes the 1st for a 2nd/3rd

One way or another, it would be a blockbuster of a trade. But unless it's a sign and trade, man if that happened and Helleybuck walks. Man, I couldn't stop laughing..... and yeah my spelling sucks.

The author’s proposal of a 1st, Skinner and either Holloway or Broberg - and that possibly being too rich for Edmonton - is comical. Hellebuyck is a top tier goalie in this league and there are other teams with better and more expendable assets that could use his services. As posters here note - it would take some significant pieces swapped beyond just acquiring Helle for Edmonton to ever manage this.

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

it would take:

there's no way Draisaitl is in any part of that return for Hellebucyk or Schiefle

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

it would take:

And if I'm Edmonton upon hearing that I tell them to not even consider calling them ever again. I'm not even sure they'd pay that for prime Vasilevskiy or Price let alone Hellebuyck. 

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This is all meh for me.

I agree Helly is likely a pure rental and to be honest, while I will admit he is a decent goaltender I'm not sure he's a difference maker. Seems like they would give up a lot for one year.

As for Broberg I'm on board especially if they would do it for podz but I doubt it. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I agree Helly is likely a pure rental and to be honest, while I will admit he is a decent goaltender I'm not sure he's a difference maker. Seems like they would give up a lot for one year.

As for Broberg I'm on board especially if they would do it for podz but I doubt it. 

Broberg has a hockey IQ like Virtanen. We have a guy like that in our system already in Jurmo. No need for another dough head. 

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Broberg has a hockey IQ like Virtanen. We have a guy like that in our system already in Jurmo. No need for another dough head. 

Haha what are you getting this take from, Sir Alfred? His decision making as a player?