The Vancouver Penguins

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Hopefully by year end, we'll be the standard on how to build a sustainable winner, but for now I'll go with....

With the gong show of the past decade, even if the Canucks won the Stanley Cup, they would not be the standard to build a sustainable winner.  WAY too many missteps along the way.  And here we are, right up against the cap and still not a lock for the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I for one am okay with the penguin influence here (they have won cups)... Even though I don't think we are emulating the  Penguins playing style, much of the management have known what it takes to get to the top.

Winning cups doesn't necessarily mean they have a management style you want. Take the 2010's Blackhawks staff for instance. They won cups but no way do I want that culture/influence in the organization. I think unless you are around the table and talk to the leaders it is really hard to say which team's management is good or bad. Some teams might be able to draft well and have success on the ice but have an extremely toxic culture that we just don't know a lot about yet. 

As far as teams to emulate, I think that has to start with looking at what skill sets we have in the organization first. I would say some of the past regimes tried to play a certain style of hockey and shoe horn players into those roles when it didn't really fit their skills. I agree with you that I like the way Vegas plays, they are fast, physical and hungry on pucks. The problem is that we don't have the players that fit that style, and players that do fit that style are hard to come by. I think the first step is identify what you are good at, then maybe you can look around at other successful teams with similar pieces and try to build on that. 

Teams right now that are successful and seem to be built similar to the canucks; maybe Dallas, NYR (if Demko plays lights out)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

With the gong show of the past decade, even if the Canucks won the Stanley Cup, they would not be the standard to build a sustainable winner.  WAY too many missteps along the way.  And here we are, right up against the cap and still not a lock for the playoffs.

Fair enough.... But how did we feel before st.louise won... Or even Vegas with their missteps?

47 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Fair enough.... But how did we feel before st.louise won... Or even Vegas with their missteps?

The Canucks were 5-ish years into their rebuild before Vegas even came into existence.  The Blues were in the playoffs 6 straight seasons before missing the playoffs then being on track to miss again, before their coaching change and miracle run.  They were more of an underperforming team that just needed a kick in the ass to get going.

If I was to look at a standard, I would look more for teams that bottomed out and rebounded quickly.  Teams like maybe L.A., the Rangers or the Devils.  They seemed to commit to a rebuild and get back to competitive far quicker than the Canucks did.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

The Canucks were 5-ish years into their rebuild before Vegas even came into existence.  The Blues were in the playoffs 6 straight seasons before missing the playoffs then being on track to miss again, before their coaching change and miracle run.  They were more of an underperforming team that just needed a kick in the ass to get going.

If I was to look at a standard, I would look more for teams that bottomed out and rebounded quickly.  Teams like maybe L.A., the Rangers or the Devils.  They seemed to commit to a rebuild and get back to competitive far quicker than the Canucks did.

Okay... But with every LA and Jersey, there's a Edmonton or Buffalo... Chronic rebuilds vs reloads.  I'm not arguing that van is the model for success lol!!!!  But we're like many teams, doing the same thing.  Misstep after misstep.  Also, Jersey did totally strip it down, whereas LA still had kopitar and doughty and quick until recently.  Just different ways to skin a cat.  Here.... It's all about the lost years of Benning.  The sad thing is Linden hired him... No one seems to blame Linden for that.  Rookie president mistake.  But ultimately, Aqua should have never hired linden in the first place.... There were a number of qualified presidents he could have hired instead of a rookie pres, who hired a rookie gm, who hired a rookie coach.  I mean really?

I'm not the biggest fan of just plucking players because the GM watched them a lot before, makes you think they're not investigating the other teams thoroughly enough. Acquiring guys like Cole and Lafferty as of recently kind of makes me wonder - who else could we have gotten? It goes a lot deeper than just these two obviously. Not a bad team to emulate but I'd like to think we're in on everyone around the league, not just Pittsburgh's leftovers.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm not the biggest fan of just plucking players because the GM watched them a lot before, makes you think they're not investigating the other teams thoroughly enough. Acquiring guys like Cole and Lafferty as of recently kind of makes me wonder - who else could we have gotten? It goes a lot deeper than just these two obviously. Not a bad team to emulate but I'd like to think we're in on everyone around the league, not just Pittsburgh's leftovers.

It shows time and time again that in all professions, management tends to hire people that they have worked with, know and trust.  Obviously as we see here and in the past, hockeys no different.  

A poster just mention Crosby.... Could you imagine, if Petey doesn't want to resign... Alvin talks with the Crosby team and works a swap trade?  Wow!!!!  That would be a serious mindfuck!!!  Don't know if I'd like that... Anyway....

On 10/10/2023 at 11:50 PM, Hogs and Podz said:

So there have been a number of comments relating to the amount of previous Penguins management and players now being canucks.  Some of you aren't to happy about this for various reasons.  Some have countered "well, it's better than being the Vancouver Flames!!!!".  

If we truly are destined to become "The Vancouver Penguins," then who knows.......maybe one of Crosby or Malkin signs with us as a 39/40 year old?   😮

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

To me the club has gone from gloom and doom absolutely mired in JBs Cap disater to a team with hope. I can't figure out how they've sorted the wheat from the chaff and now play a system that looks good. The roster is full of  wise additions ( IMO ) and Abby is looking way better with some real hopeful prospects. Think back to the JB days with 3-4th line players being paid way way above value and simply spinning wheels. The way they've pickd up some value players and sorted the Cap is very good.

Going to players that Pitts had simply means there's hours of previous scouting by