Australians decide against creating a way for Indigenous people to advise Parliament

CBH1926

I saw this news pop up earlier today, I know we got few Australians here, would be interesting to hear their perspective.

Others as well in regards to First Nations of Canada and Native Americans in the U.S.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/australians-decide-against-creating-a-way-for-indigenous-people-to-advise-parliament/ar-AA1icXaw?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=ce6493e45cc84bf0879644901526440d&ei=59

• Sad 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

@Ilunga this must come as a disappointment - curious if it came as a surprise? 

55 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I remember seeing the posters for the referendum during my travels there this year. On the surface it sounds like a shame, but any Aussies in here can give us an indepth breakdown?

Very disappointing news. Very concerning. I've heard a few accounts from people from Australia that tell me the treatment of their indigenous people is not good.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

@Ilunga this must come as a disappointment - curious if it came as a surprise? 

Yes it does brother.

At the start of the campaign there was strong support however as the campaign went on, the dog whistling from the right got louder and the last few polls indicated that a no vote was likely. 

Edited by Ilunga
  • Huggy Bear 3

Just now, Ilunga said:

Yes it does brother.

At the start of the campaign there was strong support however as the campaign went on, the dog whistling from the right got louder and the last few polls indicated that a no vote was likely. 

Damn. What was the right afraid of? Were things like land rights at play?

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Damn. What was the right afraid of? Were things like land rights at play?

No, but that is not the message the fear mongers put out. 

If you are really interested in the sort of people on the right here in Aus, do a little research on Peter Dutton, the leader of the opposition.

The opposition/ right wing party are the Liberal party.

Oxymoronic....yes ?

There were actually first nations people campaigning for a no vote as well.

I believe some of them didn't believe the terms of the referendum went far enough. 

This six minute video addresses the main issues

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/video/2023/oct/13/debunking-the-no-campaigns-favourite-misinformation-politics-with-amy-remeikis-video

• Thanks 4