Blue Jays / MLB Talk

Bounce000

12 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I can’t get with spring training until last week of March. It’s sloppy baseball and no one really cares. The real ones are saving for their 162 game grind. 

all I hope for in spring training is that no one gets injured. After that, meh, who cares. 

• Cheers 2

It is good to see who came in shape, and get a rough idea where they will be playing.

Vlad is noticeably more trim, and Minoah has lost weight.

Kirk might be down a few pounds as well.- But perhaps I have him confused with Vogelbach?----very similar builds.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Gurn said:

It is good to see who came in shape, and get a rough idea where they will be playing.

Vlad is noticeably more trim, and Minoah has lost weight.

Kirk might be down a few pounds as well.- But perhaps I have him confused with Vogelbach?----very similar builds.

No,you’re right, both Kirk and Manoah were working this off season. I read a report that said Manoah lost 60 pounds and Kirk lost 30ish. They both look much improved condition-wise. 
 Edit; forgot about Vlady but he looks like he’s toned and not flabby. 

One thing I’m looking forward to is how the old Skydome looks after the renovations. 

Edited by Northern_Nuck
  • Upvote 2

Chapman apparently told the Blue Jays earlier in off season he wasn’t coming back because of the changes to rogers centre are to blame for his numbers going down

so if true why’s he signing with SF? Their Stadium is not exactly an upgrade for hitters over Rogers 

33 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

Chapman apparently told the Blue Jays earlier in off season he wasn’t coming back because of the changes to rogers centre are to blame for his numbers going down

so if true why’s he signing with SF? Their Stadium is not exactly an upgrade for hitters over Rogers 

I hadn't heard the story about the changes to Rogers Center, but I assumed that he wanted to go back to the west coast.

Chapman is a California guy and playing for the Giants takes him home, while not having to deal with the sh!t show in Oakland....

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I hadn't heard the story about the changes to Rogers Center, but I assumed that he wanted to go back to the west coast.

Chapman is a California guy and playing for the Giants takes him home, while not having to deal with the sh!t show in Oakland....

Good points, yeah I’m not so sure about this story about him wanting out due to the renovations, just saw it mentioned on X..

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-sign-cuban-catcher-luis-gómez/ar-BB1jsbEu?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=6a0f67af0c374cbcb871358a29f33e3a&ei=58

The Blue Jays have made a transaction!

On Wednesday morning, Francys Romero reported that Cuban catcher Luis Gómez signed a minor league deal with the Jays. It’s worth noting that Romero later corrected himself and said there’s no bonus signing.

Romero notes that Gómez is great defensively and also points out that he played with Yariel Rodríguez in Cuba with the Ganaderos de Camaguey. The battery spent five seasons together from 2015-2020.

Last season, Gómez had a career-year, slashing .288/.349/.374 with a homer and seven doubles in 155 plate appearances. Moreover, he had an 8.4 BB% and a 9.7 K%. For his career, he’s slashing .246/.318/.341 with eight home runs in 531 plate appearances, along with 40 strikeouts and 77 plate appearances.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-vladimir-guerrero-jr-out-after-jamming-finger-vs-pirates/ar-BB1jyXh0?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=c7aa584956d64092a2121609b1731c5f&ei=52

"

First baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr. will not be in the lineup on Friday when the Blue Jays face the Yankees, according to Sportsnet’s Arden Zwelling.

Guerrero jammed the middle finger on his left hand during a plate appearance in Tuesday’s 6-5 loss to the Pirates. He went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts in the game.

The team is giving the 24-year-old a few days off to recover and heal, according to Zwelling. His next scheduled appearance in the lineup is Saturday against the Phillies.

• Thanks 1

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/joey-votto-joins-toronto-blue-jays-as-non-roster-invite-1.2087048

Canadian Joey Votto has agreed to join his hometown Toronto Blue Jays on a non-roster invite, the veteran first baseman confirmed Friday.

ESPN's Buster Olney was first to report Votto's deal. Votto then said on X that he was thankful to work his way back to the big leagues with the Blue Jays.

I am excited about the opportunity to work my way back to the Major Leagues. It’s even sweeter to attempt this while wearing the uniform of my hometown team, the Toronto Blue Jays.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, runningback33 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/mlb/joey-votto-joins-toronto-blue-jays-as-non-roster-invite-1.2087048

Canadian Joey Votto has agreed to join his hometown Toronto Blue Jays on a non-roster invite, the veteran first baseman confirmed Friday.

ESPN's Buster Olney was first to report Votto's deal. Votto then said on X that he was thankful to work his way back to the big leagues with the Blue Jays.

I am excited about the opportunity to work my way back to the Major Leagues. It’s even sweeter to attempt this while wearing the uniform of my hometown team, the Toronto Blue Jays.

Terrible average in Cincy last year....(just over the Mendoza line) but 14 dingers. He's a lefty who could do some damage in places like Yankee Stadium and Fenway, so who knows? Might be a useful bench guy.

Good glove at 1st as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/reds-infielder-receives-80-game-suspension-after-positive-ped-test/ar-BB1jA20L?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=ed2ba95ac7ba4369860f107520b92b13&ei=68

"

The MLB commissioner’s office announced today that Reds infielder Noelvi Marte has received an 80-game suspension without pay after testing positive for Boldenone, a banned performance-enhancing substance. 

“The Reds fully support Major League Baseball’s drug policy and its penalties,” the club said in a statement. “We will have no further comment.” 

--------------------

mal

• chaos 1

8 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Terrible average in Cincy last year....(just over the Mendoza line) but 14 dingers. He's a lefty who could do some damage in places like Yankee Stadium and Fenway, so who knows? Might be a useful bench guy.

Good glove at 1st as well.

I know he was terrible last year, and his career is twiddling down. But I have to give him a pass last year coming off a major shoulder surgery. He said he’s healthy coming into camp, so who knows…..maybe he can revert back to his 2021 season?

He still walks a ton, and his barrel and hard hit rate is still above league average, according to baseball savant. I’d much rather have him as a bench player than Vogelbach. Considering Votto can still play the field, whereas Big V, is primarily a bat on the bench.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I know he was terrible last year, and his career is twiddling down. But I have to give him a pass last year coming off a major shoulder surgery. He said he’s healthy coming into camp, so who knows…..maybe he can revert back to his 2021 season?

He still walks a ton, and his barrel and hard hit rate is still above league average, according to baseball savant. I’d much rather have him as a bench player than Vogelbach. Considering Votto can still play the field, whereas Big V, is primarily a bat on the bench.

I agree. There's also the fact that his 14 HRs last season happened in only 65 games....that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 over a full season.....

The Giants signing Matt Chapman has made 3rd baseman JD Davis expendable. He was placed on waivers today....

The Jays are currently stuffed with infielders, but Davis' 18 homers last season certainly suggests that he'd be an offensive upgrade over IKF...