[Article] Tracking Canucks statistics with NHL Edge

RWJC

Tracking Canucks statistics with NHL Edge

New data tracking website reveals fastest skater & hardest shot

Jeff Paterson

Which Vancouver Canucks player has reached the fastest speed during a game so far this season? Which one has unleashed the hardest shot?

With the NHL unveiling its new data tracking website -- NHL Edge -- that information is available to the public.

According to player tracking, Phil Di Giuseppe has reached peak speed among any of his teammates being tracked at 22.63 miles per hour during the first period in Philadelphia last week. According to the data, while Di Giuseppe may be the fastest player on the team so far, the average top speed on all teams is 22.79 MPH.

Meanwhile, Filip Hronek has unleashed the hardest shot of any Canuck player so far this season. A second period blast in Florida on Saturday night was tracked at 93.61 miles per hour. Again, according to NHL Edge that is below the 50th percentile with the league average registered at 95.29 MPH.

For context, Elias Pettersson's top shot so far this season was tracked at 90.61 miles per hour and was registered in the second period of the Canucks 4-3 win in Edmonton on October 11th.

Tyler Myers slap shot goal in Tampa Bay last Tuesday was tracked at 92.19 miles per hour.

As for how much time the Canucks as a team spend in various zones on the ice, NHL Edge has that covered, too. And despite having a 3-2 record on the season, the numbers show the Canucks need to find a way to spend less time defending and more time on the attack.

Link to NHL Edge:

https://edge.nhl.com/en/team/VAN

Link to rest of article:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/news/tracking-canucks-statistics-with-nhl-edge

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

NHL Edge reveals Vancouver Canucks’ fastest skaters and hardest shooters so far this season

Story by David Quadrelli, Canucksarmy

NHL Edge reveals Vancouver Canucks’ fastest skaters and hardest shooters so far this season
NHL Edge reveals Vancouver Canucks’ fastest skaters and hardest shooters so far this season© ? Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports

NHL skills competitions are great, but they’re not the real thing.

And until yesterday, the stats showing players’ top speeds and shot speeds have been held from the public, for the most part. Until now, the NHL’s puck and player tracking system’s findings were available to live broadcast teams and for in-arena consumption.

But now, the public has access to all this data and more via the new NHL Edge Puck and Player tracking database. Now, whether this is a good thing or not remains to be seen. Yes, it’s useful data, but it’s also going to make hockey discussions and disagreements all the more insufferable. “My favourite player has logged five more 18-20 mph bursts of speed than your favourite player, so obviously he’s great and your favourite player stinks.”

As we continue to dive in and chew on all of the available data, we thought it’d be wise to start simple and present two stats for every player that people are most likely to not only understand, but find interesting as well. Who has taken the hardest shots and logged the highest top speed for the 2023-24 Vancouver Canucks through six games?

Hardest Shooters

Here are the 2023-24 Canucks’ hardest shot speeds, sorted from highest to lowest speed (in mph).

Top Speed
1 Hronek 93.61
2 Myers 92.19
3 Boeser 91.87
4 Pettersson 90.61
5 Miller 86.39
6 Höglander 85.82
7 Garland 84.22
8 Lafferty 84.05
9 Hughes 83.9
10 Juulsen 83.4
11 Friedman 82.61
12 Kuzmenko 81.67
13 PDG 80.62
14 Cole 80.56
15 Soucy 80.40
16 Mikheyev 77.89
17 Studnicka 75.11
18 Hirose 72.42
19 Joshua 67.37
20 Beauvillier 67.32
21 Suter 63.77

What’s the biggest surprise from this list? We’re not sure, but we’d bet money that Elias Pettersson would win a hardest shot competition against his Canucks teammates. After all, he did record a blistering speed of 103.2 mph at last year’s NHL All-Star Skills competition in Florida.

With absolute missiles like this, it’s no surprise that although he’s struggled on the defensive end early on this season, Tyler Myers has taken the second hardest shot of any Canuck so far.

Fastest Skaters

Here are the top speeds that every Canucks skater has hit so far this season, sorted from highest to lowest speed (in mph).

Top Speed
1 PDG 22.63
2 Miller 22.58
3 Hughes 22.16
4 Höglander 21.75
5 Studnicka 21.68
6 Beauvillier 21.38
7 Pettersson 21.34
8 Friedman 21.26
9 Hronek 21.26
10 Joshua 21.09
11 Garland 21.04
12 Mikheyev 20.86
13 Cole 20.52
14 Soucy 20.47
15 Boeser 20.43
16 Kuzmenko 20.12
17 Suter 20.12
18 Myers 19.65
19 Hirose 19.40
20 Juulsen 18.96

It’s not hard to believe that the players at the top of this list are also the ones who have looked the fastest on the forecheck. Phil Di Giuseppe being at the top confirms what we already knew: PDG is on a mission and has no plans of losing his job in the Canucks’ top six.

Our prediction is that after he’s played in a few more games, Ilya Mikheyev is going to sit at the top of this list, and at some point — likely on a backcheck — Elias Pettersson will join him in the top three among Canucks skaters.

Would you like us to keep updating this list throughout the season? What other stats from NHL Edge are you interested in learning about?

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hronek #1 in shot speed ... top 10 in skating. 

Hmmm ... anyone happy yet? 

Hronek has been nothing short of a miracle. We just need to get rid of Myers. Even bringing in Bear and dropping Myers off the lineup and Friedman down to the 3rd pairing would do wonders. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Canucklehead44 said:

Hronek has been nothing short of a miracle. We just need to get rid of Myers. Even bringing in Bear and dropping Myers off the lineup and Friedman down to the 3rd pairing would do wonders. 

Actually trade Garland or Beau with Woo and get a RHD.

No need for Bear as McWard in the pre season looked better then Bear ever did for us.

7 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Actually trade Garland or Beau with Woo and get a RHD.

No need for Bear as McWard in the pre season looked better then Bear ever did for us.

lol thats like trade NWT, Nunuvat, Yukon  please USA give us hawiee with the dancing girls?

3 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I'm sure there's a few who aren't too happy because of all the crow they've been eating! 

Geez im not sure... I saw Hughes dangle around the blue for at least 10 seconds and pass to this Horonik and he just dumped it in the middle to nashville. I guess him and Hughes stats are good on that.

Is that as good as actually putting the puck in the net?

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Geez im not sure... I saw Hughes dangle around the blue for at least 10 seconds and pass to this Horonik and he just dumped it in the middle to nashville. I guess him and Hughes stats are good on that.

Is that as good as actually putting the puck in the net?

Read the stats from this thread and it might affect change your perspective. 

23 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Thats the problem with Stats.

DO you think those stats are the same if they defended the goalie while the bottom 6 are on the ice?

hard to say, but it’s not their fault that the defensive roster isn’t exactly sound yet. What you have to do is identify what works and build around that. Their pairing so far has been quite formidable. Now, if we acquire another top 4 for the second line then we are getting somewhere. 

while I can accept the fans concern of dilution of defense by stacking these two together, what I don’t get is we appear to have just achieved something that everyone has been bemoaning and bitching about for the last 3 years which is finding an ideal partner for QH. Now that we could have that, fans aren’t satisfied because of what it MAY mean to the roster. I suggest we give them more time together and in parallel, give some time for the other D pairings to gel. If it doesn’t occur, we move some bodies. 
I just hope the folks concerned about the QH-FH tag team can also appreciate what it achieves for this club to finally have a top tier tandem on D. It’s been a long time. I trust mgmt to sort out the remainder. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

hard to say, but it’s not their fault that the defensive roster isn’t exactly sound yet. What you have to do is identify what works and build around that. Their pairing so far has been quite formidable. Now, if we acquire another top 4 for the second line then we are getting somewhere. 

while I can accept the fans concern of dilution of defense by stacking these two together, what I don’t get is we appear to have just achieved something that everyone has been bemoaning and bitching about for the last 3 years which is finding an ideal partner for QH. Now that we have that, fans aren’t satisfied because of what it MAY mean to the roster. I suggest we give them more time together and in parallel, give some time for the other D pairings to gel. If it doesn’t occur, we move some bodies. 
I just hope the folks concerned about the QH-FH tag teams can also appreciate what it and for this club to finally have a top tier tandem on D. It’s been a long time. I trust mgmt to sort out the remainder. 

I absolutely agree and to make the team stronger, the top pair D should cover the bottom 6 forwards.

Brock and Miller dont need defensive support. They are always in the O zone, or at least going there.

Petey, Kuz and now Mik dont need defensive support.

So put your money where your mouth is, the best D pair should be defending where its needed and the bottom 6 combined play less minutes than Hughes/Horonik.

If the Stats dont tell you that, you are reading the STATS wrong like how they want you to read them.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Hronek #1 in shot speed ... top 10 in skating. 

Hmmm ... anyone happy yet? 

It was a great trade. We need another great trade like that to solidify our back end

Also, I just want to say thanks to @RWJC for bringing us lots of great reads, threads, and posts. Much appreciated 🤜🤛

• Cheers 2

I like Stats. Stats give facts.

But they dont explain the why, who, where, when, How.

and I get it, Aspergers is awesome, I saw RainMan, and I am even an IT guy who deals with algorithms all the time.

What beats Stats is reality.

If Hughes and Heronik are the best ever I am very happy! I hope they can actually protect Demko and DeSmith whlle the two bottom lines are on the ice.

I would expect the second best d-pair to cover Petterson, Kuzmenko and Mikalov.

SO that would leave Myers and Soucy playing with Miller, Boeser and Pizza guy.

Want our goals against to become unreal? Give them a defense. 

41 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I like Stats. Stats give facts.

But they dont explain the why, who, where, when, How.

and I get it, Aspergers is awesome, I saw RainMan, and I am even an IT guy who deals with algorithms all the time.

What beats Stats is reality.

If Hughes and Heronik are the best ever I am very happy! I hope they can actually protect Demko and DeSmith whlle the two bottom lines are on the ice.

I would expect the second best d-pair to cover Petterson, Kuzmenko and Mikalov.

SO that would leave Myers and Soucy playing with Miller, Boeser and Pizza guy.

Want our goals against to become unreal? Give them a defense. 

But you do understand the fundamental point of pairing them together and in support of the top 6 is to drive offense, right? That’s a major requirement from a top pairing D, across the board and across the league. I would argue that QH has been the primary factor in why we have won the games we have, and he’s able to do that in part because his partner reads the game in a similar fashion. That’s why it’s working.

With the amount of TOI they receive of course they will be playing some shifts  supporting the bottom 4, but that shouldn’t be a regular obligation. We should have acquired or groomed some two way and defensive Dmen to play in those roles. The 3rd F is a two way line that can chip in offense but also prevent opportunities. The 4th is always primarily a defensive line whose sole purpose is to keep the puck out of the net and wear down opposition lines. 

it would be an absolute waste to expect the top D pair to back up the 4th F on anything more than a few shifts per game. It makes little sense unless it is to support a transition between line changes or to provide relief to an exhausted pair during an extended PK. 

im not basing my pov on stats, I’m basing it on what I’ve seen and the opportunities created for the top 6. The guys who can see the ice like that should be playing a more offensive minded game while still responsible defensively. If you think QH or Hronek is failing at the latter, I think you might be in the minority on that and in that case not sure what you would have been concentrating on aside from potentially focusing more on any potential negatives than blatant, real time positives.

With Tocchet’s system there is a heavy reliance and expectation on the top 6 F and top pairing D to bring the offense. As such, going back to pre-Hronek deal and after, I’ve been a major proponent of securing one more top 4 two way defensemen and 1 solid 5/6 defensive Dman. I think we will try to do so this year but will definitely achieve that this coming offseason. Until then, define the bottom 4D pairings and like Tocchet does, make them responsible/accountable for strong defensive metrics. The way it should be.

We have talent back there that is entirely capable…Cole and Soucy can play those parts. Myers, for as long as we have him, should play a 3rd line role in limited mins and nothing more. Even in an injury situation. Hate to say it, but a guy like Fabbro could slot into the bottom 4 and we instantly have a reasonably balanced 3/4 D pair if he’s with Cole or Soucy. But Myers, he’s holding us back both in terms of cap hit and linemate flexibility. We ditch his contract and the back end only benefits from a chance to rebalance our collection of player types according to actual need, and not out of formality. 

Frankly, we brought in guys this past season to play the parts you suggest. Give them a chance to prove it. It’s only been 6 games into a new system, pairings and locker room. I think they will prove capable. At least I hope. Because truthfully, if we go by your argument, we could have Myers and Friedman supporting EP, Kuz and Mik, and I don’t really think anyone considers that to be any kind of ideal situation. Totally apples and oranges and likely a major imbalance that doesn’t do anything for controlling the play in the transition and O zones. Bad idea for any length of time.

Edited by RWJC

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

It was a great trade. We need another great trade like that to solidify our back end

Also, I just want to say thanks to @RWJC for bringing us lots of great reads, threads, and posts. Much appreciated 🤜🤛

Shit man, thank you!

Much appreciated, but my pleasure!

CDC used to be my hub for everything, all in one place. Links to all kinds of hockey resources and info, and all of it curated quickly and accurately. Because of CDC and especially @Vintage Canuck, I was able to win a prestigious keeper pool 3 out of 5 years in a row as an expansion franchise and the pot was pretty impressive. CDC was a huge resource for me.

Now that we have this site, I just figure it’s a beneficial thing to centralize as much content as possible, as the more options for entertainment and thought the more it establishes a real community resource. To me that’s a real perk that I’ve enjoyed having had for numerous years. 

Cheers!

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Tusk said:

Well so long, and thanks for all the fish.

I am getting hazed for defending the guy who was doing his job and hit Podz. I love Podkolzin! but I didnt think the hit was dirty or intentional and I figure I am gonna be banned from the site.

Sometimes a little tact is required.

Sorry, you should know better.

11 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Sometimes a little tact is required.

Sorry, you should know better.

I should but I worry more about Petey and Kuz and Boeser and Mik getting hit like that and then Miller losing it on someone and getting banned for life.

Podz really just got the wind knocked out of him

We need some guys like that in our line-up who can defend the threats? I mean, wow, we all just forgot who hit Podz.

But they all hate Tusk.