[Report] Junior hockey player retires due to potential CTE risk

Fights are already super rare relative to the old days, at least in the NHL. Has that change happened in the Q as well or are they still fighting more? I'm not familiar with McEwan--was his career recent or futher in the past when fights were more prevalent?

I honestly think the helmets that hockey players wear and the flimsy looking mouth guards aren't a part of the solution. I'm not saying wear motorcycle helmets. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of cushioning. The Rugby world noticed a massive decrease in concussions when they went to very thick very cushioned mouth guards. I understand playing a little bit of football in high school, you need to find a balance between breathing and communicating properly. But having a proper mouth guard is like a shock absorber for your skull. And reduces the shock to the brain against the skull.

Would it suck having a cage and better padding in the helmet? I get the vanity part. But it might protect players. Having some lightweight neck protection won't hurt either.

1 hour ago, SV. said:

Fighting is boring, archaic, and presents needless and avoidable health issues for the athletes.

This league, and the rest of the pyramid, will be much better off when they ban it from the sport.

Ken Dryden, is that you?

I agree that it should be banned from junior levels. Some of those kids are still growing and that's much more dangerous when you're talking about possible damage.

Grown adults though in a pro league? No. If you don't want to fight, then don't. Just turtle like Matt Cooke if you have to.

You may disagree, but fighting is the only thing preventing professional hockey from turing into shinny style roller hockey.

When there's a fight, people are on their feet cheering for their guy. That's always been the appeal throughout the history of "stadium games".

There's no thrill without risk. And these guys get paid more money now to play this game than the average family will make in 100 generations. 

as the saying goes, "buy the ticket take the ride" 

34 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I honestly think the helmets that hockey players wear and the flimsy looking mouth guards aren't a part of the solution. I'm not saying wear motorcycle helmets. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of cushioning. The Rugby world noticed a massive decrease in concussions when they went to very thick very cushioned mouth guards. I understand playing a little bit of football in high school, you need to find a balance between breathing and communicating properly. But having a proper mouth guard is like a shock absorber for your skull. And reduces the shock to the brain against the skull.

Would it suck having a cage and better padding in the helmet? I get the vanity part. But it might protect players. Having some lightweight neck protection won't hurt either.

If you want to prevent cuncussions in a contact sport, then this is a sure fire way to achieve that.
You'll have to make the ice a lot bigger though....

spacer.png

There's a real issue in rugby. And that has resulted in a lot of lawsuits which the governing bodies are likely to loose - essentially they didn't do enough to mitigate head injuries through the rules and laws they set. Hockey could go that way easily.

It'd be good to stop the needless fights after a clean hit. If a ref is being a bum irrigation bag then fair do's. Only works if the zebras are being unbiased.

4 hours ago, HIWATT said:

You may disagree, but fighting is the only thing preventing professional hockey from turing into shinny style roller hockey.

--- I do disagree

When there's a fight, people are on their feet cheering for their guy. That's always been the appeal throughout the history of "stadium games".

--- Go watch boxing then. People didn't know any better back then, that's probably a huge reason why fighting was allowed in hockey.

There's no thrill without risk. And these guys get paid more money now to play this game than the average family will make in 100 generations.

--- so do movie stars, musicians, etc... your point is that if you make a lot of money you have to put your health on the line? Btw, hockey is already dangerous enough without the fighting. If it feels boring without it, maybe hockey is just not your thing? lol

as the saying goes, "buy the ticket take the ride" 

--- I don't think people buy hockey tickets to watch players get their throat cut or their skull cracked open, but that's just me.

I like a little pushing and shoving after the whistle, it shows passion and seems genuine and authentic, fights on the other hand seem forced, and they look dumber and dumber as the years go by.

Edited by Rubik