Nickas Backstrom 'retiring' ?

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Doesn't sound like it.

So they'll be looking for a C and maybe a winger... 

We don't have the C depth to trade from.

Studnika plays C and is an RFA so there is long term potential.

add him to G or B and you have your forwards set.

I know it's a major step down talent wise, but who really DOES have a C of his caliber that they'd be willing to trade?

• Like 1

Just now, grumpyone said:

I know it's a major step down talent wise, but who really DOES have a C of his caliber that they'd be willing to trade?

If they view Studnika and Beau that way then for sure package those two. I don't even care if it's for future considerations.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

This one seems legit.  It's not like he's suddenly allergic to his gear or something like that.

Except Hossa's was legit actually read up on what Hossa went through. Absolutely moronic in this day and age with all the info out on this people act like this was fake.

20 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

Nylander from the Leafs would suit them to a tee... except Toronto wouldn't trade him in division without a massive over payment. 

Except Toronto isn't in the same division as Washington.

17 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

Nazem Kadri?  Elias Lindholm?

Oh my.... Steven Stamkos!??

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Except Toronto isn't in the same division as Washington.

Nazem Kadri?  Elias Lindholm?

Oh my.... Steven Stamkos!??

Kadri could be a thing, but full NMC at the moment. 

We might be a good low cost option. Stud and Garly for free 

Kadri would be interesting...surely the Flames have to do something drastic.

I wonder if Washington send Mantha to Calgary. Both players are struggling, Kadri has a chance to resurrect his career with a decent team whereas Mantha probably won't, but Calgary can walk away from his contract next season whereas they're stuck with Kadri.

Mantha + 1st for Kadri

Pretty risky play from Washington because if Kadri still sucks, they bomb harder and that 1st could be useful but there's a chance he gets back to a 60-90 point pace which he's shown in the past on good teams, and he'd do well on a more offensive-minded team. Meanwhile Calgary get ready for a "retool" but really a rebuild. They could use the pick to fetch a decent player or just settle in for a real rebuild. 

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Kadri would be interesting...surely the Flames have to do something drastic.

I wonder if Washington send Mantha to Calgary. Both players are struggling, Kadri has a chance to resurrect his career with a decent team whereas Mantha probably won't, but Calgary can walk away from his contract next season whereas they're stuck with Kadri.

Mantha + 1st for Kadri

Pretty risky play from Washington because if Kadri still sucks, they bomb harder and that 1st could be useful but there's a chance he gets back to a 60-90 point pace which he's shown in the past on good teams, and he'd do well on a more offensive-minded team. Meanwhile Calgary get ready for a "retool" but really a rebuild. They could use the pick to fetch a decent player or just settle in for a real rebuild. 

Not sure he wants to uproot his young family from Canada tho... Also has NMC 

51 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Except Hossa's was legit actually read up on what Hossa went through. Absolutely moronic in this day and age with all the info out on this people act like this was fake.

Sorry, I never saw the follow up.  The internet's a big place.  I don't have time to read it all.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

https://t.co/cnyOHoqFxt

This frees up $9.2 in cap space. Maybe they could use Garland or Beauv ?

Would we rather take Van Reimsdyk @ 3 or Jensen @4. ?

as soon as he's healthy if he doesnt retire he must be added back to the roster... he might be going into LTIRetirement though if its too much pain, he likely finds a doctor that can support his cause...

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

He could have kept playing if he wanted to as the issue with the equipment was an ongoing issue throughout his career.  Was it a real issue yes did it force his retirement absolutely not.

37 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

He could have kept playing if he wanted to as the issue with the equipment was an ongoing issue throughout his career.  Was it a real issue yes did it force his retirement absolutely not.

He was bleeding through his suit at team meals, what do you mean he could have kept playing? His skin was literally coming off... 

40 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

"I wasn't really thinking about the end, it just (came) basically, the eczema kind of told me," Hossa said to Powers in his homeland.

"My body told me there was no other way. That's when I had to start thinking, 'Well, it could be.' Because my skin (was) almost like breaking. (It was) leaking from the wounds. (I was) missing practices."

A combination of sweat and bacteria from his hockey equipment dating back to 2013 led to the former Ottawa Senator, Atlanta Thrasher, Pittsburgh Penguin and Detroit Red Wing being diagnosed. At first, the condition was controllable, but over time, blotches developed over his skin. Hossa knew he had to make a tough decision with the rest of his life in front of him.

"That's the one thing, I was still in great shape, I felt good. But I came home, I was afraid to touch my kids because (my) skin was not in a good shape," Hossa explained. "I said 'I'm not supposed to be like this. I'm not supposed to eat pills to play hockey.' Those pills are not easy pills. Those are hard pills. Every second week I have to go to (the) hospital to check my blood. If those pills don't affect me, something else (does).

“I said at what point should I be doing this to keep going? I have a life. I have a young family. I don’t want to risk it with another year with the pills on me. So I just came to the thing where I had to make a big decision and I have to be like, ‘Body says you have to stop.’”

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He was bleeding through his suit at team meals, what do you mean he could have kept playing? His skin was literally coming off... 

Did he quit during the season that was happening?  How many seasons was the skin condition at that level.  If he was earlier in his career would he have stopped?  

He was ready to retire and the legitimate problem he had helped his team avoid cba penalties.

Medical retirement eh?

The obvious guy who springs to mind as a potential top line center would be Calgary's Elias Lindholm. He's not a young center but he's still younger than Kadri. 

The deeper wrinkle was the news that came out yesterday about the Flames halting negotiations. What would it take for Calgary to move him? If their season goes down the tubes sooner than later it's not as if they're going to let him walk to UFA. 

What would the Caps realistically have to give up? And who else might be interested in Lindholm besides potentially Boston? Flames might have to take what they can get.