Home stereo/theatre/TV

We had one of these in the old forum so........

My downstairs Klipsch speakers where I watch sports finally kicked the bucket.  I think I blew both tweeters watching a movie.  They were quite old but sounded great.

So this is what I am going to replace them with.  I don't need anything too expensive.  Only $50 delivery as I don't want to go to Victoria to get them.

PARADIGM Monitor SE 3000F Floorstanding Speakers.

https://atlasavu.ca/product/paradigm-monitor-se-3000f-floorstanding-speaker-matte-black/

7f283b8b-000c-4654-bc36-89d1bb1f5696.jpg

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Also- great timing on this thread- I was thinking about starting one as I just got some brushes from Nitty Gritty to replace the worn out one, on my record cleaner.

Nitty had gone out of business for a couple of years, but was restarted/re bought and is now based in Georgia.

cost $50.60 Canadian including shipping for the repair kit -$24.95 U.S.

Took 9 days, not too bad for a $15.00 ish shipping charge.

• Cheers 1

I'm trying to convince my wife that a turntable would be a good addition.  She remains thoroughly unconvinced.  A lot of it has to do with the fact that her late father was an audiophile and before his passing (actually, even before I met her), they had gotten rid of all of their vinyl, choosing instead to go with digital media (CDs).  A lot of the music that I like is no longer available in CD format, but for whatever reason are now being pressed onto vinyl (?!), so that's been my motivation to go get a turntable.

I don't think I'm going to win this one, especially if I go covert and acquire a turntable (and vinyl) and have it magically appear at home.  :classic_ninja:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm trying to convince my wife that a turntable would be a good addition.  She remains thoroughly unconvinced.  A lot of it has to do with the fact that her late father was an audiophile and before his passing (actually, even before I met her), they had gotten rid of all of their vinyl, choosing instead to go with digital media (CDs).  A lot of the music that I like is no longer available in CD format, but for whatever reason are now being pressed onto vinyl (?!), so that's been my motivation to go get a turntable.

I don't think I'm going to win this one, especially if I go covert and acquire a turntable (and vinyl) and have it magically appear at home.  :classic_ninja:

I have a turntable out in the garage where my son and I listen to music when he comes home.  They bought it for me for Xmas a couple years ago.

I have been buying old LP's at used record stores.  Can't beat the sound.  Also buy  new pressing that I really want.  New ones are are super expensive though.  Blue Rodeo and Jimmy Buffett.  My son gave me a Fountains of Wayne LP last year for xmas.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I actually have no idea lol.  They must be 15 years old at least.  I will have to look at the model.

you might find a significant re sale value on them, even if they need new tweeters.

Check out this site for prices on speakers, and everything else-including parts for repairs.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/    categories start half way down the page

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It's getting close to Christmas, maybe you will get a surprise?

If you do buy a turntable, try to get one that has a "Line contact" stylus/needle. A slightly different shape to the diamond tip, will  result in much quieter playing of some really scratched up records, and wonderfully clean sound on non damaged vinyl.

Most records are still quite cheap at the auxiliary/bargain shops, but as @The Arrogant Worms mentioned, they can be pricey when new.

Also, sometimes, those new re-issued versions don't sound as good as the originals-either from being re-mixed poorly, or issues at the  vinyl pressing plant.

• Thanks 2

My babies, Paradigm Signature S 4, Birds Eye Maple., bi-amp speakers (one set plugs into the tweeter, one set for the woofer). The tweeter is made from barium alloy.

They sound gorgeous, the massive sub woofer must weigh close to 200 pounds. Golden speaker cables too.

I'm a music addict, i really love these.

1143279-e1b3c69a-paradigm-signature-s4-v

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

It's getting close to Christmas, maybe you will get a surprise?

From her?  Unlikely.  :classic_ninja:

I mean, I guess I should revel in the fact that last year when I brought up the subject, she flat-out said "NO" and didn't give reasons.  This spring, when I brought up the topic again, she didn't say "NO" but she wouldn't say "YES" either.  The rationale came after I chipped away over the summer.  She's pretty steadfast against the idea though, perhaps because she's very mindful of (and is a strong adherent to) her late father's philosophies.  It doesn't matter to her that "it sounds better" - her father got rid of vinyl, so vinyl should no longer grace the household (ok, that's not exactly what she said but that's the take-away I got from her sentiments).

Then again, she didn't want to accept my courting of her, and yet here we are with her as my wife.  Maybe my persistence will secure another "W"?  :hurhur:

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

My babies, Paradigm Signature S 4, Birds Eye Maple., bi-amp speakers (one set plugs into the tweeter, one set for the woofer). The tweeter is made from barium alloy.

They sound gorgeous, the massive sub woofer must weigh close to 200 pounds. Golden speaker cables too.

I'm a music addict, i really love these.

1143279-e1b3c69a-paradigm-signature-s4-v

do you run 2 sets of speaker wires from your amp, or use jumpers to go from jack to jack on the back of the speakers?

you may find that it does make a difference.

also being bi wired gives the opportunity to go tube amp on the tweets and solid state for the bass

Edited by Gurn

35 minutes ago, Gurn said:

do you run 2 sets of speaker wires from your amp, or use jumpers to go from jack to jack on the back of the speakers?

you may find that it does make a difference.

also being bi wired gives the opportunity to go tube amp on the tweets and solid state for the bass

They are coiled into one set, 2 sets of wires though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Is your wife an audiophile like her father? If so it sounds like you’ll have your work cut out for you to convince her. If not, this is how my wife and I find balance - she is an avid quilter and several years ago I built her a sewing room. She wanted a new sewing machine which can be really pricey and when she asked my opinion I said that she was the sewer and would be the one using it so it was none of business and she should get whichever one she wanted. She said the same to me later when I was building my home theatre room!  Now we are both happy. :classic_smile:

Good luck. I’ve never been sorry to have far more vinyl than digital. 
By the way maybe @Gurn will post his pictures of his album collection again. Prepare to be amazed!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Gurn said:

1-4 Starts in bedroom-right beside the stereo room

#5 Then stereo room- for the half mastered, Japanese pressings and re- issued/new lps

6-7, currently in the kitchen

8-end in the 'spare' room

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

How much of a difference does half mastered make? Is it something anyone would notice?

27 minutes ago, Gurn said:

1-4 Starts in bedroom-right beside the stereo room

#5 Then stereo room- for the half mastered, Japanese pressings and re- issued/new lps

6-7, currently in the kitchen

8-end in the 'spare' room

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0403.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0503.JPG

This post ought to be stickied, @The Arrogant Worms - just for the sheer majestic size of the collection.  👑

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Is your wife an audiophile like her father? If so it sounds like you’ll have your work cut out for you to convince her. If not, this is how my wife and I find balance - she is an avid quilter and several years ago I built her a sewing room. She wanted a new sewing machine which can be really pricey and when she asked my opinion I said that she was the sewer and would be the one using it so it was none of business and she should get whichever one she wanted. She said the same to me later when I was building my home theatre room!  Now we are both happy. :classic_smile:

Good luck. I’ve never been sorry to have far more vinyl than digital. 
By the way maybe @Gurn will post his pictures of his album collection again. Prepare to be amazed!

She's not an audiophile, and I can't think of any inroads similar to yours that I can use to my advantage. 

But if there's one thing I have in my favour, it is that I am pretty damned persistent when I put my mind to it.  :classic_laugh:

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

How much of a difference does half mastered make? Is it something anyone would notice?

Likely-yes.

But the price difference can be significant.

Kind of goes- and there are  many exceptions

old regular records

Japanese pressings/180 gram or heavier pressings

half mastered

Original Master Recording- by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab.

Canadian First Pressings of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon"  are treasured by a lot of audiophiles- 

Jennifer Warnes covering Leonard Cohen in "Famous Blue Raincoat" is an exceptional recording

Rickie Lee Jones self titled is also a fantastic  album.

^ just a few of the many wonderful sounding originals.

I prefer the Canadian version of DSTM as compared to my 

5 other copies.

including my Japanese pressing, and 30th anniversary versions.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

22 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

So this is what I am going to replace them with.  I don't need anything too expensive.  Only $50 delivery as I don't want to go to Victoria to get them.

PARADIGM Monitor SE 3000F Floorstanding Speakers.

do not be surprised if those speakers don't sound quite right, to begin with.

Many speakers have to be played for between 50-200 hours to 'break in'.

There are only a few manufactures that will do the break in period for you. Usually it means suspending the driver from one of the mounting screw holes, on the basket, and running an alternating signal through the driver. Leaving the stereo on, low overnight, will eat up a lot of those break in hours.

Few other things:

If you don't have pets, small kids or have the speakers facing direct sunlight-try listening to them without the grills on.

Direct sunlight will 'dry out/bleach' the driver making it brittle, quicker than it should age.

You may find  carefully placing electrical tape, over the possible grille mounting holes, and even on the head of the screws holding the driver in place, will change the sound.

Speaker placement is a big one, usually about 8 feet apart, and the makers will recommend a distance from the back and side walls. Good starting point, but if you are slightly hearing impaired in one ear, perhaps putting that speaker a little closer to the middle will help out. Or just turn that side speaker in/out a bit.

Play around with the 'toe in/toe out' angle of the speakers, this will also change the sound.

If your T.V. is between your speakers, a light blanket over top of the tv, covering the glass screen might help the imaging, settle down a bit of brightness to the over al sound. For t.v./movie watching, just remove the blanket.

General guideline is to get your ear close to the height of the Tweeters, can be done by adjusting the height of your chair. Hockey pucks work well as 'coasters' for chair legs.