2023 Music

distantandvague

14 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

I unabashedly admit that I am afraid if I listen to any music created within this past decade I will lose my last shreds of faith in humanity.

That's a shame. There is a huge swell of incredible talent out there, merely a couple layers beneath whatever surface you're standing on. People who insist there's nothing out there are only cheating themselves of creativity enrichment. But that's only my opinion. Enjoy your Rush. 

7 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

As an old school rocker, I will say I don't know a single band on your list....mine be be foreign to you too haha

I am revisiting my late '70's and '80's loves....Iron Maiden, Triumph, Prism, Boston, 38 Special, early ACDC

Not at all. I'm not that young and naive lol. My initial exposure to music as a kid (like most people) was through my father. I grew up with Boston, AC/DC, Skynyrd, Alice Cooper, The Stooges, etc. And he also shared his love of wonderful and damaged country acts like Townes Van Zandt and Blaze Foley, both of which I love to this day. The first wave of sound I gravitated towards independently was post-punk acts such as Wipers, Wire, The Fall, Felt, Algebra Suicide. I just appreciate every generation of music, and will never tire of searching for new, exciting artists. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, distantandvague said:

That's a shame. There is a huge swell of incredible talent out there, merely a couple layers beneath whatever surface you're standing on. People who insist there's nothing out there are only cheating themselves of creativity enrichment. But that's only my opinion. Enjoy your Rush. 

Rush? I'm not from Ontario...

Even my kids, aged 13, 24, and 26 don't listen to newer music, so my exposure has been extremely limited.

I like The Doors, CCR, Alice in Chains, White Zombie, Our Lady Peace, various classical blah blah blah. Wide range but all 'old' stuff.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't listen to music as much as I used to, and can't really spare the time and energy to actively search out new acts.  However, most of the "newer" bands and musicians I've encountered by happenstance have been from Hong Kong.  I'm currently interested in finding out more about some of the hiphop scene there, and there's a band called The Hertz who have also caught my ear on occasion.  They recently visited Canada and did a brief meet and greet (that I missed) hosted by SFU and UBC.

1 minute ago, gwarrior said:

Last little while I've been listening to Slipknot. And anytime I'm cooking, I love some System of a down.

I've retro got into some Slipknot. Used to play it alot when i DJ'd some alt nights in Van but haven't listened for a while.

But i listen in the gym....not when cooking...I bet you make some spicy stuff!

• Like 1

Don't listen to music as much as I used to either.  Podcasts use up a lot of my "ear time".  I am digging the new Mind.in.a.box album (Black and White), released in September.  Ever since their first album back in the early 2000s, they have been my favourite band.

4 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

Rush? I'm not from Ontario...

Even my kids, aged 13, 24, and 26 don't listen to newer music, so my exposure has been extremely limited.

I like The Doors, CCR, Alice in Chains, White Zombie, Our Lady Peace, various classical blah blah blah. Wide range but all 'old' stuff.

I always preferred Matthew Good Band over Our Lady Peace lol 

27 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

There are music threads in White Noise😉

Thank you sorry for the ignorance 

7 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I've retro got into some Slipknot. Used to play it alot when i DJ'd some alt nights in Van but haven't listened for a while.

But i listen in the gym....not when cooking...I bet you make some spicy stuff!

Not overly spicy. My parents can't handle as much heat as I can. So I shoot for some heat, but flavorful. But yeah, pretty much anything from System of a down while I'm cooking.

• Cheers 1

Been listening to the 30th anniversary edition of Nirvana’s In Utero album a lot lately. 

I don’t really listen to a lot of new music, unless it’s from an established band I’ve listened to for years. 

My favourite release this year is Queens Of The Stone Age’s In Times New Roman. 

Honourable mention to Foo Fighters’s But Here We Are.

• Like 1