Question on LTIR - Carson Soucy in Particular

Rocket-68

I think I understand the LTIR rules from my indepth, about 3 minute, review of the relevant rules. 

As this relates to Carson Soucy, he appears to be out until Christmas or perhaps a bit beyond that. That would definitely fit a candidate for LTIR. So, the question is, why won't the Canucks put him on LTIR and capture the cap space?

I also understand, hopefully correctly, a player can be placed on LTIR retroactively to the date the injury occurred.

Any arm-chair GM's wish to opine on the strategy that appears to be in play here?

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

I think I understand the LTIR rules from my indepth, about 3 minute, review of the relevant rules. 

As this relates to Carson Soucy, he appears to be out until Christmas or perhaps a bit beyond that. That would definitely fit a candidate for LTIR. So, the question is, why won't the Canucks put him on LTIR and capture the cap space?

I also understand, hopefully correctly, a player can be placed on LTIR retroactively to the date the injury occurred.

Any arm-chair GM's wish to opine on the strategy that appears to be in play here?

LTIR allows you to go OVER the cap temporarily.  It doesn't lower our cap hit.  The difference here is that you can't bank up any savings by putting him on LTIR.  It's not useful for short(ish) term injuries.  It's more useful for someone like Poolman, who is out forever and lets us exceed the cap by that 2.5M.

• Cheers 3

4 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

LTIR allows you to go OVER the cap temporarily.  It doesn't lower our cap hit.  The difference here is that you can't bank up any savings by putting him on LTIR.  It's not useful for short(ish) term injuries.  It's more useful for someone like Poolman, who is out forever and lets us exceed the cap by that 2.5M.

Thanks. I assumed that if the canucks were to have nosedived after Soucys injury, we probably would have put him on LTIR and pulled the trigger on a deal for a dman. Problem is, we would then be super vulnerable as we'd have to get back under the cap around Christmas when Soucy returns. I doubt and GMs would be doing us any favors at that point. Cost to unload someone like Beau would prob skyrocket. 

7 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

Right now there is no reason to put him on LTIR. They have enough cap space to fill their roster. If for some reason another injury occurred that player or Soucy would have to go on LTIR to call someone else up. 

Biggest reason to keep him off LTIR for now is if the injury is not as bad as reported. If put on LTIR he would be stuck there for 10 games. Yes LTIR is retroactive.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1