[PLANT BASED] Discussion Here!

Goose

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Good thread.

We have added a lot of plant based meals over the last 2 years, to the point where we have up to 4 full days of veg meals per week.

I'll post some recipes moving forward.

After being farmers for so long, and having home raised meat always available, the Alf’s are definitely addicted to meat. Beef, Pork, Lamb, chicken, turkey, and one animal that won’t be mentioned. But some can guess! 
Like to get away from eating meat so often. Salads and booze. 

Edited by Alflives

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

After being farmers for so long, and having home raised meat always available, the Alf’s are definitely addicted to meat. Beef, Pork, Lamb, chicken, turkey, and one animal that won’t be mentioned. But some can guess! 

It's all personal choice, I wouldn't tell anyone what to do. I'll likely stay a fish eater.

There are some great options out there now. Love me some bean burgers.

• Like 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

It's all personal choice, I wouldn't tell anyone what to do. I'll likely stay a fish eater.

There are some great options out there now. Love me some bean burgers.

Yup. Never was comfortable dispatching the animals. Had to be done, but it’s really kind of awful doing. Don’t have to do that anymore but know what it’s like for the animals. Still, so addicted eat meat anyway. Going to ask Mrs Alf to try some of the recipes posted here. Do you like you have. Less meals with meat. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Cats Alf, everybody knows

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, bonkerz said:

4 stones vegetarian has absolutely god tier plant based chinese food

they have this bean curd dish that is 100% indistinguishable from chicken. 

they have a sweet and sour soy dish thats indistinguishable from pork 

At a certain level it’s really all about texture and taste right? Given that we can land people on the moon, you’d think technology and ingenuity could develop healthy plant based foods that mimic (closely enough) animal based products.    

Im down for god tier Chinese food.  Will have to make a trip there sometime.  Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tofu_Bud said:

At a certain level it’s really all about texture and taste right? Given that we can land people on the moon, you’d think technology and ingenuity could develop healthy plant based foods that mimic (closely enough) animal based products.    

Im down for god tier Chinese food.  Will have to make a trip there sometime.  Thanks for the recommendation.

100%!!

and i love plant based food that doesnt have to get too chemical-y to create some yummy non-plant like textures

beyond meat & impossible are a nice treat, but i cant help but think about how much processing and how many chemicals go into them. 

another good one i recommend - tasty indian bistro. theres a location in yaletown and one in surrey.

pick up the soya chaaps for a truly indistinguishable chicken-like dish. they serve it with this mint chutney thats so so so good too. 

• Like 1

I do my 10k trail runs on Sunday.

It was chilly today. We run around Westwood lake in Naniamo. The fog looked great on the water though, like a post card.

After I often treat myself to one of my fav meals.

I go to Kamikaze Sushi in the Mall and order their crispy tofu poke bowl.

Huge serving of rice with, crispy tofu, carrots, cucumbers, corn, and seaweed. I love the seaweed so much, its a sweet taste. I have them put on spicy mayo and sesame aioli. 

I bet its a lot of calories but as its after my run I dont mind too much. As I said, the servings are huge but I could eat that stuff like I had a hollow leg. Soo tasty. Always feel stuffed after.

Great thread.

Thanks for starting it. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Colonel D said:

I never thought I'd see that day that fungus/fungi would be what was in the pot, but I've got to say, they are starting to grow on me

there is a chef that turns these massive mushrooms into ‘steaks’.  From what I recall it requires quite a bit of prep work and definitely leans towards the decadent of things, but it looks good.

One of my favorite dishes is to thinly slice portobello mushrooms and heavily season it with garlic powder, some salt and cayenne pepper.  Add a few sliced onions and douse everything w balsamic vinegar.  Bake in oven for a while. Goes really well w mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts etc.  One of my comfort dishes on a cold day. 

Edited by Tofu_Bud
  • Like 1

Just now, Tofu_Bud said:

there is a chef that turns these massive mushrooms into ‘steaks’.  From what I recall it requires quite a bit of prep work and definitely leans towards the decadent of things, but it looks good.

One of my favorite dishes is to thinly slice portobello mushrooms and heavily season it with garlic powder, some salt and cayenne pepper.  Add a few sliced onions and douse everything w balsamic vinegar.  Goes really well w mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts etc.  One of my comfort dishes on a cold day. 

this guy also makes some really cool stuff with mushrooms

https://www.youtube.com/c/SauceStache

• Like 1