Rogers may abandon broadcasting national NHL games so the Blue Jays can chase after Shohei Ohtani

https://torontosun.com/sports/baseball/toronto-blue-jays/simmons-if-blue-jays-sign-ohtani-rogers-may-drop-nhl-deal

I know I know, Steve Simmons - a true darling of the Toronto media.  Brian Burke said this after getting fired by Toronto: "That’s the best part about today Steve, is that I probably don’t ever have to talk to you again..."

But this is going to mean a pretty major shift regardless of whether Toronto gets Ohtani.  Strictly in baseball terms, Rogers thinks Shohei will be a better investment than that NHL contract 10 years ago.  The idea is that they can get Japanese sponsors pasted all over the backstop behind the plate.  Hello, Nintendo and hello, Honda.  Hello Kitty too.  When Ryu Hyun Jin (Korea's best pitcher) was signed three years ago, Samsung went heavy on the sponsorships and probably earned back half of the money Rogers put into Ryu's contract.  Expect the same here.

Now in terms of hockey, this means Sportsnet might finally give up its national broadcasting rights in 2026, when its 12-year deal concludes.  The deal itself was absurd: $5.2 billion over 12 years.  It was a terrible gamble and Rogers has been bleeding cash as a consequence.  They are also to blame for this mess, as the NHL on Sportsnet has been a garbage experience for consumers.  But the NHL has also failed to help get any decent sponsorships, which is why we've seen so many gambling ads.  Simply put, the NHL has been bad business for Canada.

So this leaves the door open for a new deal.  The most obvious option here is TSN (Bell) to make its return to national broadcasting.  They've actually done much better financially without the NHL, so who knows what will happen next.

For the record, Sportsnet will still be covering regional games, so expect a solid 50 Canucks games per season to remain on Sportsnet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

An utterly foolish article written by an utterly foolish man. Ohtani underwent Tommy John surgery in 2018 which kept him off the mound for 2 seasons and just recently underwent an operation for a torn ulnar ligament and will not pitch next season. He could easily be damaged goods within a few years. Of course insurance would cover his contract but then Rogers would be left with no NHL and no Ohtani.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

An utterly foolish article written by an utterly foolish man. Ohtani underwent Tommy John surgery in 2018 which kept him off the mound for 2 seasons and just recently underwent an operation for a torn ulnar ligament and will not pitch next season. He could easily be damaged goods within a few years. Of course insurance would cover his contract but then Rogers would be left with no NHL and no Ohtani.

But Ohtani can always hit, and Rogers can recoup a lot of that money in Japanese sponsorships.

In hindsight, that massive NHL broadcasting deal was a mistake by Rogers.  They have likely lost billions because of it.  Ohtani is likely a better gamble than renewing the NHL deal and spending $500 million per year for excusive national broadcasting rights.  And I'm sure anyone who's tried using Sportsnet+ would be more than happy to see someone else take over.  They've made watching hockey in Canada a miserable experience.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

But Ohtani can always hit, and Rogers can recoup a lot of that money in Japanese sponsorships.

In hindsight, that massive NHL broadcasting deal was a mistake by Rogers.  They have likely lost billions because of it.  Ohtani is likely a better gamble than renewing the NHL deal and spending $500 million per year for excusive national broadcasting rights.  And I'm sure anyone who's tried using Sportsnet+ would be more than happy to see someone else take over.  They've made watching hockey in Canada a miserable experience.

Unless he gets injured. Then what do they have? Hard to get sponsors for a guy who doesn't play. At least with the NHL they know it's not dependant on just one guy and it'll always be there.

If they are so inclined Rogers would be better served re-signing with the NHL at a reasonable number. It's not like other networks are entering into a bidding war.

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Unless he gets injured. Then what do they have? Hard to get sponsors for a guy who doesn't play. At least with the NHL they know it's not dependant on just one guy and it'll always be there.

If they are so inclined Rogers would be better served re-signing with the NHL at a reasonable number. It's not like other networks are entering into a bidding war.

I'm a bit surprised with your pushback here.  As a Jays fan and a fan of Shohei, I'm okay with this effort to sign him.  I'm also pretty optimistic that Rogers could earn back a lot of his contract from the success and exposure he brings to the team.  I mean, look at what Ryu brought in terms of revenue.  That man was perpetually injured. He played half of the games he could've for Toronto.  Still, Samsung this, Hyundai that.

It's apparent the amount of public exposure Ohtani can bring to the Blue Jays and Rogers.  It's also apparent that the NHL deal has been a disaster for Rogers.  You're right that other networks aren't going to opt for a bidding war - TSN is the only viable rival here, and I'm sure they're hesitant to jump back in it.  The NHL in Canada is just not lucrative enough.  

You don't actually want Sportsnet to retain exclusive national rights, do you...?  They suck.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

I'm a bit surprised with your pushback here.  As a Jays fan and a fan of Shohei, I'm okay with this effort to sign him.  I'm also pretty optimistic that Rogers could earn back a lot of his contract from the success and exposure he brings to the team.  I mean, look at what Ryu brought in terms of revenue.  That man was perpetually injured. He played half of the games he could've for Toronto.  Still, Samsung this, Hyundai that.

It's apparent the amount of public exposure Ohtani can bring to the Blue Jays and Rogers.  It's also apparent that the NHL deal has been a disaster for Rogers.  You're right that other networks aren't going to opt for a bidding war - TSN is the only viable rival here, and I'm sure they're hesitant to jump back in it.  The NHL in Canada is just not lucrative enough.  

You don't actually want Sportsnet to retain exclusive national rights, do you...?  They suck.

The issue is what does the NHL want?

They could have split the NHL deal between Sportsnet and TSN. But they went for the all or nothing type deal.

The interesting thing is ESPN is paying the NHL $400 million a year for basically 1/2 the year and 1/2 the playoffs.

That's for 7 years.

I imagine the NHL won't want to go back to making less money. But I'll make you a bet they are hoping for a 50/50 with Rogers and Bell.

($320 million each, for 7 years at least.) That way the total is $640 million per season ($20 million per team). That way it's more affordable for both

networks, but in the end the league is making 28% more.

The loser would be hockey fans, because then we'd have to have either cable that gets both channels, or subscribe to both channels.

(Or look for streams)

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The issue is what does the NHL want?

They could have split the NHL deal between Sportsnet and TSN. But they went for the all or nothing type deal.

The interesting thing is ESPN is paying the NHL $400 million a year for basically 1/2 the year and 1/2 the playoffs.

That's for 7 years.

I imagine the NHL won't want to go back to making less money. But I'll make you a bet they are hoping for a 50/50 with Rogers and Bell.

($320 million each, for 7 years at least.) That way the total is $640 million per season ($20 million per team). That way it's more affordable for both

networks, but in the end the league is making 28% more.

The loser would be hockey fans, because then we'd have to have either cable that gets both channels, or subscribe to both channels.

(Or look for streams)

Rogers gave the NHL a deal they simply couldn't refuse.  The valuation was insane.  How they thought they could earn back anything close to that $5 billion is beyond me.  It has been a sobering experience for Rogers but also Bell, who are in a better place for not doing something so crazy.

I wonder if the Canadian networks will bid that much again.  I doubt it.

41 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

Read the entire post, read the article.

I stand by what I said, don't see Rogers dumping NHL broadcasts til the contract is done.

Time will tell I 'spose

Time will tell whether they RENEW or not.  Rogers is still in the hole for these next two years regardless of whether they get Ohtani or not.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Rogers gave the NHL a deal they simply couldn't refuse.  The valuation was insane.  How they thought they could earn back anything close to that $5 billion is beyond me.  It has been a sobering experience for Rogers but also Bell, who are in a better place for not doing something so crazy.

I wonder if the Canadian networks will bid that much again.  I doubt it.

Honestly, several years of extreme economic slowdown out of left field... who knows what could've been $$$ wise.

Though I do tend to agree, pretty optimistic eval, and NHL couldn't refuse....would've been stupid to refuse in fact.

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s friggin’ baseball! This is Canada. F the Blue Jays. Leafs rule TO. 

It's Rogers, and they have to run it like a business.  Sportsnet Hockey has been nothing but bad business for them.  And it's been miserable for us to watch it too.

Look at it this way.  Who would you rather have be Canada's team: the Blue Jays... or the Maple Leafs?  It's Rogers, so you only have two choices here.

32 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Today is the 6th anniversary of when ShoTime signed with the Angels. Many are expecting it to be announced today. 

6 wasted years.  He should've signed with the Dodgers back then and he should probably do it now.  They give him the best chance to win.

1 minute ago, falcon45ca said:

Honestly, several years of extreme economic slowdown out of left field... who knows what could've been $$$ wise.

Though I do tend to agree, pretty optimistic eval, and NHL couldn't refuse....would've been stupid to refuse in fact.

The COVID recession doesn't change the fact that the NHL is run by Neanderthals.  The league's best players aren't marketable and they have no idea how to make them marketable.  It's the best game on earth but they've done nothing about it.  That's why Sportsnet has to scrape the bottom of the barrel and rely on betting ads to gain revenue.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

I'm OK with them signing him. It's not my money paying him. I have no idea what revenue Ryu brought to the team, I have never seen any figures. If you have a link I'd like to see it.

The NHL broadcasting rights are lucrative at the right price.

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

he can always still be a great hitter even if he can't pitch.. it's not like they are throwing money down the drain for a player if injured is completely useless.. despite injury to his pitching arm.. he is still good to go batting. how many games have he missed due to injury or tommy john?? not many..

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

he can always still be a great hitter even if he can't pitch.. it's not like they are throwing money down the drain for a player if injured is completely useless.. despite injury to his pitching arm.. he is still good to go batting. how many games have he missed due to injury or tommy john?? not many..

Not sure what your definition of 'not many' is but he's missed 271 games in the six years he's been in MLB that's 28% of the games.

41 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Not sure what your definition of 'not many' is but he's missed 271 games in the six years he's been in MLB that's 28% of the games.

you know a lot of those games missed was the team decided to shut him down early so he can start his rehab early with the team no where close to a playoff right?

16 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

you know a lot of those games missed was the team decided to shut him down early so he can start his rehab early with the team no where close to a playoff right?

So in other words he was injured.

The amount of games he's been shut down for isn't close to the total you're suggesting. Last year final 1 month, 2020 the last week, 2019 the final 2 1/2 weeks. The other 3 years he played until season's end.

Edited by nuckin_futz