Solo Travels Thread

Phil_314

Anyone experienced with solo traveling with tips to share, e.g. best/ worst places to visit for solo travelers, and best/ worst times of the year to go, etc.?

I've been interested in doing solo trips before, but at most only did 3 days in Japan before meeting up with friends, and more recently had a solo day exploring in San Francisco which was pretty cool.  For me, Japan was pretty easy to go solo since there's so many historical and natural sights and they also have a culture of solo dining, and in San Francisco I had other friends arriving later which made for a great opportunity to have an afternoon and evening seeing Alcatraz and having solo local eats during the day.  However, I've heard that some places like Korea have restaurants that wouldn't seat someone if they're by themselves, and I'm not the type of person to go to party spots or really popular eateries solo since I do get self-conscious sometimes; so I'm asking you, the fine folks of CDC, for recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Phil_314

Most of my solo travel has been due to work.  They send me somewhere to train a class and there's still day leftover to do things after work.  But I have also done some solo travel while my wife was out of town on work.

Mostly in these situations I am a golf traveller.  I love to visit and play courses in around the country.  Courses often have room to fit singles in so it works pretty well.  And as long as you get paired up with cool people, it can make for a great experience.

As for the dining end, as a solo I often get seated at the bar.  It never seems to feel weird dining solo there.  Although, keep in mind, aside from one round of golf in Cozumel, all of my experience has been Canada - U.S.

The big plus of solo travel is that you get to do what you want to do, not what the committee wants.

There's both benefits and disadvantages to travelling solo. The benefits are you do what you want to do, when you want to do it. You get up when you feel like it. You eat where you want to eat not where the group dictates. There's no compromising to make others happy.

There however can be a bit of a boredom and loneliness factor. Activating your phone on the local network (assuming you're there for more than a few days) is a must. Now all of a sudden things like waiting for a meal in a restaurant isn't wasted time as you can look up and plan your next move. It really helps in cutting the boredom factor.

I've never had a problem travelling solo. In fact I prefer it but I guess it depends on the destination. North America (Canada & USA), South East Asia and Western Europe would be the easiest the navigate solo. Eastern Europe, India, Middle East, Central America would be way more difficult to travel solo.

YouTube is a never ending resource regarding solo travel. Definitely check it out. If you're into the street food scene on your travels check out The YouTube account called The Food Ranger.

This guy is from (I think Ottawa) and travels around Asia sampling street food. He goes places a lot of other travellers do not.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Like 1

I messed up and had a couple of crotch goblins so no solo travels for me, but if anyone is planning on visiting Alcatraz make sure you book your spot weeks or months in advance, especially during the busy season. There's a ton of different tours being offered locally but they cost 5 times as much and aren't allowed to land on the island so what's the point? The official tour is only through the national park service, is very affordable, and highly recommended. 

Edited by JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

The big plus of solo travel is that you get to do what you want to do, not what the committee wants.

That I definitely agree with.  It's fun when I'm not hungry yet to walk around and check out spots I've wanted to see or stay out later if I want, plan what to do in each part and just enjoy the peace and quiet of not needing to accommodate everyone.

15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

There's both benefits and disadvantages to travelling solo. The benefits are you do what you want to do, when you want to do it. You get up when you feel like it. You eat where you want to eat not where the group dictates. There's no compromising to make others happy.

There however can be a bit of a boredom and loneliness factor. Activating your phone on the local network (assuming you're there for more than a few days) is a must. Now all of a sudden things like waiting for a meal in a restaurant isn't wasted time as you can look up and plan your next move. It really helps in cutting the boredom factor.

I've never had a problem travelling solo. In fact I prefer it but I guess it depends on the destination. North America (Canada & USA), South East Asia and Western Europe would be the easiest the navigate solo. Eastern Europe, India, Middle East, Central America would be way more difficult to travel solo.

YouTube is a never ending resource regarding solo travel. Definitely check it out. If you're into the street food scene on your travels check out The YouTube account called The Food Ranger.

This guy is from (I think Ottawa) and travels around Asia sampling street food. He goes places a lot of other travellers do not.

Thanks for recommending Food Ranger, I've seen some of his videos too.

Where have you visited in SE Asia and Europe?  (I've been to Taiwan, Japan, HK, Thailand; haven't been to Europe to curious to see what you'd suggest).

I have taken solo trips to London, Iceland, Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, B.C., and Paris, as well as day trips along the West Coast.

I’m very independent, so going up to B.C., Quebec, and Europe is easy for me.

But, I do need to get that passport renewed, I keep forgetting. At least I have my Enhanced ID for boat and land travel up to B.C.

Iceland is my favorite place. It’s so magical there!

I really enjoy eating at the bakeries 3x a day in Paris!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, brilac said:

Oh yeah, I would love to go to Croatia, and back to Iceland!

Great place to visit, and I'd recommend Slovenia, Serbia, and Monte Negro while you're there! 

I think it's best to meet locals while you're there, but I suppose if you go to hostels, you could meet fellow travellers and experience the countries together.  If anybody wants suggestions, I'd be happy to give a list. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Thanks for recommending Food Ranger, I've seen some of his videos too.

Where have you visited in SE Asia and Europe?  (I've been to Taiwan, Japan, HK, Thailand; haven't been to Europe to curious to see what you'd suggest).

In Europe I've been to Italy, Greece, Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Ukraine. In South East Asia I've visited Hong Kong, Thailand, Cambodia, Japan (briefly) and India (although that's South Asia).

I really liked the Greek Islands, Italy has some of the most impressive historical sites. If anyone can't have a good time in Prague then they should just give up. Absolutely love Thailand (planning for a month there in Feb/Mar). India is a conundrum. On the one hand it's a total assault on all 5 senses. On the other is it absolutely addictive once you acclimate.

Why not enjoy the best of both worlds and combine solo travel with group travel. Check out G Adventures. https://www.gadventures.com/  You could go to someplace like Thailand and explore on your own and then hop on one of their tours with a group. They have tours for various age groups so 25 year olds don't get lumped with senior citizens. They have sailing tours, hiking tours, biking tours, tours for lazy people etc. Here's just a random picture of one of their tours ...........

gap.jpg.b7904692c7dea34d1fc2bd593a658d41.jpg

That one is only 5 days and takes you from Phnom Penh, Cambodia to Bangkok, Thailand with a stop at Angkor Wat (Siem Reap). There's a ton of tour companies like this one. But G Adventures has a good reputation. Though I have never used them. They are a Canadian company if that matters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Anyone experienced with solo traveling with tips to share, e.g. best/ worst places to visit for solo travelers, and best/ worst times of the year to go, etc.?

I've been interested in doing solo trips before, but at most only did 3 days in Japan before meeting up with friends, and more recently had a solo day exploring in San Francisco which was pretty cool.  For me, Japan was pretty easy to go solo since there's so many historical and natural sights and they also have a culture of solo dining, and in San Francisco I had other friends arriving later which made for a great opportunity to have an afternoon and evening seeing Alcatraz and having solo local eats during the day.  However, I've heard that some places like Korea have restaurants that wouldn't seat someone if they're by themselves, and I'm not the type of person to go to party spots or really popular eateries solo since I do get self-conscious sometimes; so I'm asking you, the fine folks of CDC, for recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

I love sharing experiences with friends and family when I travel, so I don’t see myself solo travelling at this moment in life, though I understand the allure and freedom of doing so. 

• Like 1

Most of my travelling is solo, unless you count my dog, who travels with me everywhere.  Common themes are watching hockey, going to concerts and volunteering at curling events (Sochi, Norway, Estonia, USA and across Canada).  

Been to Canucks games in New York (Rangers, Devils, and Islanders), Washington, Philadelphia, Florida (Lightning and Panthers), Arizona, Vegas and all the California teams.  

Advantages are doing what you want when you want.  Disadvantages are companionship and costs of  paying for everything without sharing.

For accommodation I prefer Aibnb and VRBO over motels / Hotels

For meals, when I go out I go to microbreweries or pubs.  If the Canucks are playing and I'm in the States, Buffalo Wild Wings are my favourite.  Guaranteed they can put the game on.

Im planning a trip now for March to see the Abby Canucks in Bakersfield, Ontario and Henderson.  Also, Vancouver Canucks in Anahiem, LA and Vegas.  6 games in 8 nights, 

I am just here to offer tips prior to departure: read up on the country/state/city you intend to visit and any you will travel through to get there and home again. Be extremely familiar with the rules and laws of those places, follow them. 

Anecdotally; my inlaws friends moved to Australia, an underage son was doing drugs and graffiti when arrested, the son was detained in I think Juvi for over a year and the family were booted home to Canada and their visas revoked. 

Another time, when I was in Syria a Canadian man and woman, I think married, but may have been just dating, were teaching english as a second language there and were arrested for carrying a few joints of marijuana from Lebanon to Syria on a weekend trip. The woman died in prison about 3 or 4 months into the ordeal and the man was still in jail in Syria when i rotated out of my position there with the embassy. if we didnt take them food they would have both been dead as syria doesn't feed its prisoners, it is up to their families/friends to bring food to them. 

A friend of a friend had done heroin a lot in Canada and was on a trip through Asian countries when he was arrested in I think Thailand, and his hair was tested and found to prove he had done heroin. He was in jail for seven years, and that was with no drugs on him at all at the time of arrest, just suspiciion which led to his long hair being tested for historical use. 

I can think of a few other things too, but the main point is to be very clear on the nations rules you are going to and follow those rules. 

Also read this website now and then at least once a month during going forward if you are travelling a lot, check it before you change countries while travelling. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

The Canadian government will literally tell you what to avoid if they know of it. 

big 'avoid' list is currently

D.R. Congo

North Korea

Myanmar

Nigeria

Israel, West Bank, Gaza

Burkina Faso

Iraq

Belarus

Russia

Ukraine

Burundi

Central African Republic

Chad

Eritrea

Ethiopia

Mali

Mauritania

Niger

South Sudan

Sudan

Afghanistan

Haiti

Iran

Lebanon

Libya

Papua New Guihnea

Somalia

Syria

Venezuela

Yemen

and a further 92 countries listed as "Exercise a High Degree of Caution"

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am just here to offer tips prior to departure: read up on the country/state/city you intend to visit and any you will travel through to get there and home again. Be extremely familiar with the rules and laws of those places, follow them. 

Anecdotally; my inlaws friends moved to Australia, an underage son was doing drugs and graffiti when arrested, the son was detained in I think Juvi for over a year and the family were booted home to Canada and their visas revoked. 

Another time, when I was in Syria a Canadian man and woman, I think married, but may have been just dating, were teaching english as a second language there and were arrested for carrying a few joints of marijuana from Lebanon to Syria on a weekend trip. The woman died in prison about 3 or 4 months into the ordeal and the man was still in jail in Syria when i rotated out of my position there with the embassy. if we didnt take them food they would have both been dead as syria doesn't feed its prisoners, it is up to their families/friends to bring food to them. 

A friend of a friend had done heroin a lot in Canada and was on a trip through Asian countries when he was arrested in I think Thailand, and his hair was tested and found to prove he had done heroin. He was in jail for seven years, and that was with no drugs on him at all at the time of arrest, just suspicion which led to his long hair being tested for historical use. 

I can think of a few other things too, but the main point is to be very clear on the nations rules you are going to and follow those rules. 

Also read this website now and then at least once a month during going forward if you are travelling a lot, check it before you change countries while travelling. 

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories

The Canadian government will literally tell you what to avoid if they know of it. 

big 'avoid' list is currently

D.R. Congo

North Korea

Myanmar

Nigeria

Israel, West Bank, Gaza

Burkina Faso

Iraq

Belarus

Russia

Ukraine

Burundi

Central African Republic

Chad

Eritrea

Ethiopia

Mali

Mauritania

Niger

South Sudan

Sudan

Afghanistan

Haiti

Iran

Lebanon

Libya

Papua New Guihnea

Somalia

Syria

Venezuela

Yemen

and a further 92 countries listed as "Exercise a High Degree of Caution".

Thanks for the advisory.  I don't use substances (do enjoy a good beverage but that's about it) so I think I'm fine on that front when it comes to strict governments, and also not planning to visit any war zones or 3rd (or worse) world countries anytime soon.

• Thanks 1

don't think there's a right/wrong place to travel solo. i extensively travelled through south east asia and never faced any issues travelling solo. 

if you want to go somewhere, just go, better to travel alone than not doing it. upside is that you can do exactly what you want to. if you're up for

some company, you will always find somebody to have fun with (or share a ride to cut costs). 

japan is awesome and/but the only place where i ever was refused entry into a restaurant. and i wasn't alone but with family...