Teddy Blueger | #53 | C

Rubik

• 3 weeks later...

I'm glad people are starting to see in Blueger what I was saying when we first signed him. The guy is a defensive beast and there's a reason he averaged more PK time than the defensemen in Pittsburgh. I would argue he's been one of the top 5 defensive forwards in the game the past 4 seasons, even with his down year last season. Obviously, like any player, he will have a down game from time to time but what we've been seeing this preseason is pretty par the course for him.

He was one of my top 3 choices for UFA 3Cs starting midway through last year and I honestly thought he would cost more. I also still think he has more to give offensively, but even if he doesn't get there I still think he's a steal.

• Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I'm glad people are starting to see in Blueger what I was saying when we first signed him. The guy is a defensive beast and there's a reason he averaged more PK time than the defensemen in Pittsburgh. I would argue he's been one of the top 5 defensive forwards in the game the past 4 seasons, even with his down year last season. Obviously, like any player, he will have a down game from time to time but what we've been seeing this preseason is pretty par the course for him.

He was one of my top 3 choices for UFA 3Cs starting midway through last year and I honestly thought he would cost more. I also still think he has more to give offensively, but even if he doesn't get there I still think he's a steal.

Good call on Bluegar.

The guy is a buzz saw. Most of the time it is exciting to watch him...very active stick.  We really badly needed him and Suter. 

This is the least I have ever followed the canucks over a summer. I guess it has been brought on by years of crappy play.

I sure hope this year is better. It seems to be shaping up much better and this time, it almost feels like management actually has a plan lol.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mac said:

Good call on Bluegar.

The guy is a buzz saw. Most of the time it is exciting to watch him...very active stick.  We really badly needed him and Suter. 

This is the least I have ever followed the canucks over a summer. I guess it has been brought on by years of crappy play.

I sure hope this year is better. It seems to be shaping up much better and this time, it almost feels like management actually has a plan lol.

On paper I thought Suter was a better signing. Nothing wrong with Suter but Blueger is basically the player we wanted Brandon Sutter to be 

• Cheers 1

On 10/7/2023 at 11:06 AM, Diamonds said:

He shows up in my Selke analyses regularly, but doesn't finish among the best since I also consider scoring as part of my analysis (since it seems to be relevant for Selke contenders). I was very hopeful when he was signed and he's delivering how I wanted.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Canucks were amped up to sign the free-agent centre in the offseason because his pedigree brought missing elements to the bottom-six mix — especially the penalty kill. He’s hard to play against, smart positionally and has offensive potential. He has only logged five games after recovering from a preseason ankle injury, but was instantly noticeable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another great read here

https://canucksarmy.com/news/statsies-noah-juulsen-canucks-cf-xgf-wild-ride-sharks

Paterson’s Point: Teddy Blueger has been so much better than expected for the Canucks

Was there more to his game than met the eye? And did he have the offensive chops to be a legitimate third line centre?
It’s fair to say Blueger has answered every question emphatically. He has turned out to be so much better for the Canucks than even the hockey club likely imagined. Sure there was familiarity with management and head coach Rick Tocchet from their time together in Pittsburgh. So that helped. But for a player joining a third team in less than a year, transitions aren’t always easy.

And Blueger’s path from free agent depth piece to invaluable contributor on one of the hottest lines in hockey has had its share of twists and turns.

.“Well, he’s a team guy, a systems guy,” Rick Tocchet says of what he appreciates most about Blueger. “Sometimes he’ll sacrifice his game and points for the team. He’s made some big plays this last month for us. Obviously, on the penalty kill he’s first over the bench for us. 

• 2 weeks later...

With his assist tonight Teddy B has 14 points in his last 15 games! What a pickup he has been. When I saw he got signed in free agency I was super happy that we didn't have to give him term. My how the times have changed, I wish it was a 3 year deal.

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

With his assist tonight Teddy B has 14 points in his last 15 games! What a pickup he has been. When I saw he got signed in free agency I was super happy that we didn't have to give him term. My how the times have changed, I wish it was a 3 year deal.

He's probably not coming back. I mean, I hope that I'm wrong, but he's going to want more than his 1.9 deal. 

12 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Not doubt a hot streak and not something we should expect long-term, but it's nice to know he has this level in him when he's feeling it offensively.

• 2 months later...