OMG Cold! Thread

11 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

Couldn't find an OMG COLD!!! thread and didn't want to start one just for a single post....

It be a wee bit chilly in Q-Town tonight....

Screenshot_20240111_191620_AccuWeather.jpg

I'll start one for you.  It's only fair since there's one for heat.  :classic_ninja:

Today's forecast:

IMG_0027.thumb.png.2a1c180c1ea07dff7c73ef48647152f2.png

• Like 1

Drove my wife into work..

Most of the drive is a 50k speed trap area. I was going the speed limit. Wife's Audi is great in snow, quattro with good tires. 

Nobody goes faster than 60k even in perfect weather.

Today I was passed twice by big trucks with big mud tires. They were going faster than the regular flow of traffic even when not snowing.

The attitude of some snow champs is daft.  Slow down, there is no prize for proving you like to drive dangerously in bad weather. The funny thing is, I think these types head out and prepare to grumble at all those that are being cautious. 

Champs. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

I don't think we've had this low a temp in the Lower Mainland for quite a few years? Early 90"s? Someone must have a better memory than me.

I definitely remember it at least getting close to -20 at least once in the past 20 years. I think I remember debating playing street hockey, but I probably didn't go for it, haha.

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

I don't think we've had this low a temp in the Lower Mainland for quite a few years? Early 90"s? Someone must have a better memory than me.

According to duh interwebz, last year we had temperatures during the winter solstice that were comparable.  Before that it was December 27th-ish in 2021, so approximately once every year the past three winters.

But yes, prior to that, I think it was probably about a decade or two since the last time we had a day or two of sub-zero temperatures that hit double-digit overnight lows and large single-digit daytime highs.

• Vintage 1

It's so cold that....

In Calgary, it's so cold that the gas pumps have frozen.

Callers to the CityNews660 traffic centre also indicate the cold weather is impacting gas pumps across the city.

Alison, who works at a Mobil station in the northeast, says it’s been a cold morning, but she has a simple solution that’s been working.

“The pumps are cold, the people are cold, everybody’s cold,” she told CityNews. “All I do is put some anti-freeze into the nozzle and that takes out most of the ice.”

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/01/12/calgary-transit-cold-weather-delays/

(Not sure I'd want my fuel tank to be contaminated by anti-freeze, but I guess whatever works works.)

1 hour ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I hate the people walking around in shorts.

I walk daily in shorts down here in the LM. Yesterday in fact, it was hovering around zero. Last night I salted my driveway and door entrances in my shorts and a tshirt.

44 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

According to duh interwebz, last year we had temperatures during the winter solstice that were comparable.  Before that it was December 27th-ish in 2021, so approximately once every year the past three winters.

But yes, prior to that, I think it was probably about a decade or two since the last time we had a day or two of sub-zero temperatures that hit double-digit overnight lows and large single-digit daytime highs.

Thanks, we did have a shit load of snow as well. I doubt we have an inch here in Burnaby, but for some reason the Lougheed Hwy, was closed between Bainbridge and Gaglardi? The City had brine trucks out early yesterday morning, so I don't know what the issue was with that stretch of the road.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Reznor said:

I'm in Calgary and it bloody sucks. Currently -33, feels like -43. This morning it was -37, felt like -49.

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

flying to WPG tomorrow to warm up lol

😄

Excerpt 1:

Temperatures plummet across B.C., with province in the grip of Arctic air

Parts of province hit –45 C; Vancouver sinks to –12 C, feeling like –23 C with wind chill

CBC News · Posted: Jan 12, 2024 6:53 AM PST | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
A bus displaying an out of service sign on a dark and slippery road. Pedestrians walk on the sidewalk bent against the cold.
A line of buses stuck on icy Granville Street in Vancouver on Thursday evening. (Moira Wyton/CBC News)

Most of British Columbia is experiencing extreme cold Friday morning as Arctic air blows across the province.

Temperatures have dropped lower than –45 C in some areas and it dipped to –12 C in Vancouver, where the wind is making it feel like –23 C early Friday morning.

In Victoria it is –10 C, with wind chill making it feel like –20 C. 

No part of the province is expected to climb above freezing on Friday, with the warmest spot forecast to be Tofino Airport at –2.5 C, according to Environment Canada.

Excerpt 2:

Cold for days

The cold weather is expected to continue in B.C. for much of the weekend, with temperatures only rising to –6 C in Vancouver on Saturday.

B.C. Housing has a tool on its website to find shelters, including for extreme weather, across the province.

Environment Canada said the wind chill will likely ease Saturday afternoon but it could still feel like anywhere between –10 C and –20 C through Sunday morning in Metro Vancouver.

In many regions of B.C. bright sunshine is expected to accompany the cold temperatures.

A city sits at the base of snow-capped mountains
The North Shore mountains are pictured with fresh snow on Thursday, with the Metrotown area of Burnaby, B.C., in the foreground. (Ben Nelms/CBC)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cold-weather-freezing-temperatures-b-c-january-12-2024-1.7081712