(Proposal) - Buy-Low Pending UFA Candidates

Victor Olofsson in Buffalo and David Perron in Detroit are both having down years and entering UFA.

What are your guys thoughts on both players as buy-low candidates?

I personally think both would fit quite nicely next to Petey. 

David Perron being my top pick as i think he has that dog with a bone attitude and toughness about him.

Edited by bh90

• bh90 changed the title to (Proposal) - Buy-Low Pending UFA Candidates

here's a reference article on Olofsoon. Has gotten some acknoledgement of improved deensive play and he has been a consistent 20-30 Goal player his whole career prior to this year.

He is pushed out of the line-up though, and some Buffalo beat writers are suggesting Buffalo may be open to retain 50% of his salary

https://sabrenoise.com/posts/buffalo-sabres-victor-olofsson-become-unsung-defensive-forward-01hkkjha39k3

Edited by bh90

Agree with your assessment about Perron. Although it seems he has been around for ever he still plays with an edge that every playoff team needs to win.

Olofsoon also sounds like a player who may be worthy of some due diligence by the teams pro-scouts.

These guys are buy low for a reason.  I've been saying this a couple times lately: you get what you pay for.  If the cost of a product is cheap, you're buying a cheap product.  Especially at the deadline when things are supposed to be expensive.

17 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

These guys are buy low for a reason.  I've been saying this a couple times lately: you get what you pay for.  If the cost of a product is cheap, you're buying a cheap product.  Especially at the deadline when things are supposed to be expensive.

I'm not quite sure i'm following this logic.

The whole concept of buying low on an asset is because you see potential for it to improve

Olofsson and Perron were serviceable players just as early as 8 months ago. Perron also has a lot of playoff experience. I'd personally buy-low for a nice potential reward than buy-high a la Tampa on Jeannott / Goodrow, bruins on Orlov / Bertuzzi ... etc

If we can flip Kuzmenko for some pick and then flip that asset for Perron (and also trade a mid-late pick for Greenway if Buffalo sells) I'd think we'd be pretty set for the post-season (of course adding an abrasive 2nd line center would be gravy).  They've got the size, toughness, peskiness and skill to help in the playoff grind.