AJHL scrambling after defection of 5 teams to BCHL

Hey, they tried to cover up a sexual scandal. Can you blame the BCHL for wanting out? I wouldn't want to be associated with hockey Canada. And for recruitment reasons, I get that. But alberta teams joining the BCHL, I'm ok with it. Just seems a little odd.

• Cheers 1

The real losers in all of this are the kids who are losing out on developing and potential scholarships.  Should have at least let the leaving teams finish the season.  As much as I dislike the NCAA realignment, at least it wasn't close to this messy.

Edited by King Heffy

12 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Who, whoa, whoa - that interview highlights an equally important thing that hasn't been discussed yet here.  The NCAA is considering allowing CHL players to play?

Ya, that kinda got me.  It would be wild if they allowed players who played multiple seasons in the WHL.  Currently, a player who signs on with the WHL is then ineligible.  Maybe they might go the route of a minimum regular season/playoff games played as the cutoff.

6 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Ya, that kinda got me.  It would be wild if they allowed players who played multiple seasons in the WHL.  Currently, a player who signs on with the WHL is then ineligible.  Maybe they might go the route of a minimum regular season/playoff games played as the cutoff.

The reasoning behind NCAA banning CHL players is because it's treated like a professional league.  As a rule, NCAA players cannot be signed to professional contracts, but CHL players can.  This could be a major boon for lower draft picks who don't sign as teenagers.  They can play out their junior career and enter the NCAA at age 20 or so.

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The reasoning behind NCAA banning CHL players is because it's treated like a professional league.  As a rule, NCAA players cannot be signed to professional contracts, but CHL players can.  This could be a major boon for lower draft picks who don't sign as teenagers.  They can play out their junior career and enter the NCAA at age 20 or so.

It's the whole "getting paid" part.  Thing is, that changed with NIL (name, image, and likeness) deals which now allow athletes to monetize their personal brand and endorsements while participating in college sports.  So the whole "getting paid" part isn't as big a deal as it was just a few years ago.

EDIT:   just to add.  Some of the start QBs at the big programs are getting paid more than they can get paid on their rookie NFL deals. 

Edited by the destroyer of worlds