[Signing] Oilers sign Corey Perry to a one-year contract ($775K + performance bonuses)

12 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The caveat to all this is that the Oilers also took on these 2 guys... thing is only 1 of them is good enough for the NHL:

1. Evander Kane

2. Jake Virtanen

Considering that Kane hasn't really been heard of much since other than from what he does on the ice, does that really go against what I've said?

15 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So the way I see it:

1) There'd have to be a legitimate reasoning for the termination of Perry's contact with Chicago so obviously something happened.

2) I can't see Edmonton signing him without at least getting a feel for the gravity of the situation and how/if it would affect the Oilers if he signed.

Perry's reputation is no doubt tarnished; however, it's obviously not big enough to the point where other teams aren't willing to sign him.

Edmonton doesn't care about character, as shown by signing Kane and giving a locker room cancer the C.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Edmonton doesn't care about character, as shown by signing Kane and giving a locker room cancer the C.

I get that people here are passionate about wanting to slander Edmonton. I'm not surprised by people being against what I've said.

That doesn't mean I won't stand by what I've said, which I 100% do.

Just now, The Lock said:

I get that people here are passionate about wanting to slander Edmonton. I'm not surprised by people being against what I've said.

That doesn't mean I won't stand by what I've said, which I 100% do.

True.  The fact that that don't have any respectable players also makes it easier for complete dirtbags to fit in.

Just now, King Heffy said:

True.  The fact that that don't have any respectable players also makes it easier for complete dirtbags to fit in.

Thanks... now I have "teenage dirtbag" stuck in my head....

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't really see the hockey Canada case as being the same to be honest. We're talking a case that was closed by 2019 and reopened in 2022. So what are teams supposed to do in between 2019 and 2022? Do the opposite of the courts and pretend they're guilty until proven innocent?

Okay but what happened when the case re-opened? Their respective clubs allowed them to play and make millions right up to this point. The fact that Formenton has essentially been out of the league for a season and a half means teams must've known more about this than they let on from earlier on.

My point is that Perry could've done something bigger, but until it's known what actually happened, it won't matter if it helps Edmonton win a Cup or whatever. If it comes out that he did something horrible (not saying he did, but just as an example), then Edmonton will have reaped the rewards already, or if found out earlier, they just terminate his contract no harm no foul on the club.

Just now, Theo5789 said:

Okay but what happened when the case re-opened? Their respective clubs allowed them to play and make millions right up to this point. The fact that Formenton has essentially been out of the league for a season and a half means teams must've known more about this than they let on from earlier on.

My point is that Perry could've done something bigger, but until it's known what actually happened, it won't matter if it helps Edmonton win a Cup or whatever. If it comes out that he did something horrible (not saying he did, but just as an example), then Edmonton will have reaped the rewards already, or if found out earlier, they just terminate his contract no harm no foul on the club.

If a case if opened against you, it means you may or may not be guilty of the crime. That doesn't mean you should suddenly stop being allowed to work and make a living. This is no different with a hockey player.

Formenton's case for being out of the league could be a lot of things at this point and we shouldn't base the events that occurred as him being the reason for not being in the NHL, at least not without proof.

You're right that it won't matter at this point with Perry; however, I stand by the hockey Canada incident as being different.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If a case if opened against you, it means you may or may not be guilty of the crime. That doesn't mean you should suddenly stop being allowed to work and make a living. This is no different with a hockey player.

Formenton's case for being out of the league could be a lot of things at this point and we shouldn't base the events that occurred as him being the reason for not being in the NHL, at least not without proof.

You're right that it won't matter at this point with Perry; however, I stand by the hockey Canada incident as being different.

It's just horrible and unfortunate that we even are having this discussion at all at the end of the day.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Considering that Kane hasn't really been heard of much since other than from what he does on the ice, does that really go against what I've said?

No no, what I was saying is that the Oilers don't seem to have issues taking on players with arguably shady pasts.

43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If I were Perry, I'd be kicking myself for not waiting a bit.  I'd imagine he'd love to be on the Canucks now. A winger spot just opened up.

He probably wants to play in the line up every game and with the way our bottom 6 is rolling as of late, he probably doesn't see a role for him to play in. Plus, regardless of how much we have accomplished thus far this season, the Oilers are still considered the "sexier pick" when it comes to a chance to win. I just hope the Canucks are able to maintain our pace, and stay on top of the Division and have Oilers and Vegas absolutely kill one another in a first round series while we play Wild Card team instead. And even playing a Wild Card team, lots of stuff could happen, so taking nothing for granted. Enjoy the ride while I can!