[Proposals] T. Johnson (Chicago) Maroon (Min) Silvferberg/Lybushkin(Ana)

Why not add a couple Stanley Cup winners and an above 50% face off right shot player who can play wing or C like Tyler Johnson/Pat Maroon and more depth guys like Silfverberg and Lybushkin?

Johnson has playoff experience, not the biggest guy but we got two smaller forwards in Garland and Hoglander that are effective. Johnson could help our PP also, I know he has had injuries etc but this is an expiring contract player who could help our team without giving up something significant for. He is from just below the border also I think or maybe he just played Junior hockey for a team in the Region.

Maroon brings grit and is a great locker room guy and coach Tocchett likes players with grit…probably wouldn’t be an everyday player but going up against a bigger team like say Vegas he likely would slot in.

Silvferberg- another expiring player that might not cost a ton and could be a nice depth add to our forward group. He has solid post season stats, albeit it’s been a while. They might be interested in Kuzmenko as the return. I’m not sure if our management wants his 5.5m cap hit around for much longer, but who knows how long of a leash he has!?

maybe add Lybushkin to Silfverberg if Anaheim is taking some salary like Kuzmenko or My dream Myers, replace him with someone for less than half his 6m cap hit.

Low risk moves that could provide good depth for us. i know our team is top of the league but we haven’t been a playoff team in a while and I don’t want to see us give up high picks or prospects for our first legit playoffs such a long time.

Now, it’s time for the vultures to say these proposed players are bad choices and we should go big game hunting and give up top assets instead of taking a more cautious approach…

Go Canucks Go!!!!

Need to consider cap hit for TDL moves. We only have $330k in cap space right now.

Johnson is ok but so often injured. Don't think you are getting much for his $5m cap hit. I know he's a center but I'd rather keep Kuzmenko for that cap hit.

Maroon is not a bad target at $800k. Certainly has toughness and experience, and should be cheap to acquire. Very slow player now though, not sure he fits with our fast skating team even on a 4th line.

Lyubushkin is ok but is expensive at $2.75m and is really just another bottom 4 Dman that we have plenty of depth for already (Zad, Soucy, Cole, Myers, Juulsen, Friedman, McWard, Hirose). Rather target a PMD that can fill in for a Hronek injury at a pinch (a Tanev, Carrier, Fabbro type).

No thanks to Silfverberg - hasn't scored more than 10 goals in the past 4 seasons and has a cap hit of $5.25m

• Cheers 1

On 1/25/2024 at 5:31 PM, BigTramFan said:

Need to consider cap hit for TDL moves. We only have $330k in cap space right now.

Johnson is ok but so often injured. Don't think you are getting much for his $5m cap hit. I know he's a center but I'd rather keep Kuzmenko for that cap hit.

Maroon is not a bad target at $800k. Certainly has toughness and experience, and should be cheap to acquire. Very slow player now though, not sure he fits with our fast skating team even on a 4th line.

Lyubushkin is ok but is expensive at $2.75m and is really just another bottom 4 Dman that we have plenty of depth for already (Zad, Soucy, Cole, Myers, Juulsen, Friedman, McWard, Hirose). Rather target a PMD that can fill in for a Hronek injury at a pinch (a Tanev, Carrier, Fabbro type).

No thanks to Silfverberg - hasn't scored more than 10 goals in the past 4 seasons and has a cap hit of $5.25m

Anaheim can retain 50% on both and 3rd team broker like Mtl gets a pick to retain another 25%.

I get the Silfverberg comment when I looked up his stats I was surprised but he’s had some injuries I think? Plus multiple coaches and a total tear down team to play for that’s NOT trying to win.

Maroon is perfect imo and is cheap.

if we can get Anaheim to take back Myers at 6m or maybe the deal involves Mikheyev/Kuzmenko if we move 1 of the 2 russian wingers.

for what they are providing we could have had Podkolzin do the same thing for under 1m and who knows maybe POD breaks out if he can earn a spot with EP or JT

Lybushkin would only be if Myers involved. Wouldn’t be much of a downgrade and would save us 3.25m cap wise.

Highly unlikely they all happen but maybe maroon and Lybushkin are depth pick ups and out Big trade brings in a nobodies top 6 player, ideally with term or if it was me we should try Monahan who’s under a 2m cap hit, solid at face offs and could slide EP to wing.

EP Monahan Kuzmenko - Might work?

it’s a decent addition without giving up a 1st or high end prospect. As I truly believe we should add but cautiously…This group has 0 games of playoff experience, some from bubble yes I get it folks.

then see price on Tanev, but just sign him July 1st instead imo. 

is Parayko got legit rumours to being available? 

I thought he had a NTC and is 30ish with long term contract north of 6m cap hit.?

• Cheers 1

Johnson- only if cost is 4/5th round pick with max or at least 50% retention.

Low risk add. Keep our 1st rd pick to try nab another solid prospect ideally a C or D. 

if we lose rd 1 what would our pick be in the 1st. I can’t remember how the NHL does the draft order for playoffs teams

3 minutes ago, Viking said:

Anaheim can retain 50% on both and 3rd team broker like Mtl gets a pick to retain another 25%.

I get the Silfverberg comment when I looked up his stats I was surprised but he’s had some injuries I think? Plus multiple coaches and a total tear down team to play for that’s NOT trying to win.

if we can get Anaheim to take back Myers at 6m or maybe the deal involves Mikheyev/Kuzmenko if we move 1 of the 2 russian wingers.

for what they are providing we could have had Podkolzin do the same thing for under 1m and who knows maybe POD breaks out if he can earn a spot with EP or JT

Lybushkin would only be if Myers involved. Wouldn’t be much of a downgrade and would save us 3.25m cap wise.

Highly unlikely they all happen but maybe maroon and Lybushkin are depth pick ups and out Big trade brings in a nobodies top 6 player, ideally with term or if it was me we should try Monahan who’s under a 2m cap hit, solid at face offs and could slide EP to wing.

it’s a decent addition without giving up a 1st or high end prospect. As I truly believe we should add but cautiously…This group has 0 games of playoff experience, some from bubble yes I get it folks.

I thought he had a NTC and is 30ish with long term contract north of 6m cap hit.?

Monnohands is not a second line pkayer on a good club. Parayko has back surgery. He’s cooked. Our management is way to smart to want either of these puck suckers. 

4 hours ago, Viking said:

Monahan is expected to return a 1st or a 2nd and a good prospect 

I think we're missing out on one overlooked possibility.  Myer's on RW. 

HUGE net front presence.  He plays RW a lot when he's pinching, so he knows the position.  He's fast enough to swing back to help in the d zone. ALSO a cheap alternative.  No assets given.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Viking said:

IMO trading Myers in exchange for Silfverberg and Lyubushkin does not help the team improve. Myers is outperforming Lyubushkin by miles this season. We need some more top 6 forwards and Silfverberg would be ranked as the 12th best forward in scoring on our roster right now, so he's not getting top 6 minutes here. That isn't even mentioning the cost of paying ANA to retain 50% on both players.

What we need to focus on are trades that are an upgrade the players we are trading away. I think we also need to minimise how many players we trade out, because the team has some great chemistry right now.

I love Kuzmenko but I feel he is really the only guy on the trade block. I'd like to be more patient with him as he can be a game breaker, but the TDL is approaching and he is getting healthy scratched and often playing 10 mins a game. If we traded Kuz and moved Karlsson back to the minors, that would create 6.7m in cap space to use in TDL additions.

I'd like to see us add 3 key players with that cap space at the TDL: two top 6 forwards + one puck moving Dman.

Edited by BigTramFan

1 hour ago, qwijjibo said:

Monahan is expected to return a 1st or a 2nd and a good prospect 

I'd expect something similar to the Domi trade from 2023 TDL where CHI got back a 2nd round pick + $2.2m cap dump in exchange for Domi ($3m) + low level prospect. 

Domi was outperforming where Monahan is at this season. Hence maybe a 2nd round pick for Monahan (adding a good prospect or paying a 1st is overpaying). 

I think the players on our team are better than all of those guys and despite the playoff experience, I think guys like Garland, Lafferty, Joshua and Hoglander are build for the playoffs and will do better than an old Johnson or Silvferberg. If we're getting someone we want them to bring some quality scoring to push Garland/Blueger/Joshua down to where they belong, on our 3rd line.

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I'd expect something similar to the Domi trade from 2023 TDL where CHI got back a 2nd round pick + $2.2m cap dump in exchange for Domi ($3m) + low level prospect. 

Domi was outperforming where Monahan is at this season. Hence maybe a 2nd round pick for Monahan (adding a good prospect or paying a 1st is overpaying). 

Seravelli did a deep dive on him the other day and used 3 other recent comparables.  (Copp, Goodrow, Stastney) all of which returned a 1st +.  At the end of the day it'll come down to supply and demand. But a centre who on a 50+ point pace playing 2nd/3rd line minutes who is defensively  solid and near the top of the league in faceoff percentage is going to attract some suitors. Especially at his low cap hit. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Montreal get a 1st for him 

• Cheers 1