Investigation launched after goalie hurt in chokehold during junior hockey brawl

WTF is wrong with these people?  I think some of these kids need to go to jail.  It's the only way they will learn...

Investigation launched after goalie hurt in chokehold during junior hockey brawl (msn.com)

Hockey fight leaves goalie with 'severe injury' | CBC.ca

B.C. hockey officials saying little after fight leaves goalie lying motionless on ice | CBC News

B.C. hockey officials saying little after fight leaves goalie lying motionless on ice

North Vancouver Wolf Pack goalie Evan Paul suffered a 'severe injury,' according to a team statement

Hockey officials are saying little about an incident in the Pacific Junior Hockey League (PJHL) that left a goalie lying motionless on the ice.

Evan Paul was playing his second game in net for the North Vancouver Wolf Pack when a fight erupted in the third period of his team's Jan. 25 game against the Richmond Sockeyes at Minoru Arena.

Video of the fight shows Richmond defenceman Eithan Grishin over top of Paul with his arms around the goaltender for close to 20 seconds. When Grishin lets go, Paul slumps to the ice.

A game summary states the defenceman received a match penalty for a blow to the head.

In a statement issued Sunday, the North Vancouver Wolf Pack said Paul had suffered a "severe injury" and was recovering at home. The team declined further comment.

CBC News reached out to PJHL commissioner Trevor Alto but has not heard back. 

The Richmond Sockeyes declined comment, calling it a "league matter" and citing a hearing that will be held "soon."

CBC News has also reached out to B.C. Hockey and the Richmond RCMP.

Grishin, 19, was suspended 16 games for incidents earlier this season, according to the PJHL website. 

On Nov. 16, he received a 13-game suspension — five games for harassment of an official, three games as supplemental discipline, two games after receiving a game misconduct for being the third man in a fight, and three games as supplemental discipline for being a repeat offender.

On Sept. 26 he was suspended three games for receiving a match penalty for slashing.

The PJHL is a Tier 2 Junior A league consisting of teams in the Lower Mainland, Fraser Valley and the Sunshine Coast.

I'll preface my point saying that Grishin should not be playing any organized sport.

However watching the video at first glance it seems way overblown as far as the injury goes.  They keep calling is a severe injury.

Yet he's resting at home.  Not in the hospital.

You can see him actively moving his limbs and almost right after he goes limp Grishin lets go.  Seems like it's not his first time doing it.

Again Grishin should be banned from Hockey at the very least.  Third suspension in less than 6 months and the second one shows some serious poor judgement as does his actions here.  The media (in general) tends to sensationalize everything these days to try and get clicks and profits.  Argh.

TL;DR
Kid should be banned, media sucks these days.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

With his history, it seems obvious that this guy shouldn't be allowed in organized leagues anymore. He's obviously a danger to others on the ice. To me, this is roughly equal to punching a guy when he's already down. Pretty brutal, though a police investigation might seem a bit much. Hard to say. Nonetheless, a guy who acts as he has on the ice has probably played with the law off the ice too.

• Cheers 1

Notice the player throws the goalie to the ice after choking him out, just outrageous behavior. Do these teams not vet players when they recruit them? 147 PIMs in 25 games, there's no chance this guy is an upstanding citizen in the community.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

I'll preface my point saying that Grishin should not be playing any organized sport.

However watching the video at first glance it seems way overblown as far as the injury goes.  They keep calling is a severe injury.

Yet he's resting at home.  Not in the hospital.

You can see him actively moving his limbs and almost right after he goes limp Grishin lets go.  Seems like it's not his first time doing it.

Again Grishin should be banned from Hockey at the very least.  Third suspension in less than 6 months and the second one shows some serious poor judgement as does his actions here.  The media (in general) tends to sensationalize everything these days to try and get clicks and profits.  Argh.

TL;DR
Kid should be banned, media sucks these days.

Have you ever been choked to the point of being (nearly?) unconscious? I appreciate your obviously well informed medical opinion on the condition of the victim gathered from 15 seconds of  distant video.

Way overblown lol. Guy used a potentially lethal combat technique on a goalie with much less maneuverability than himself. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

Have you ever been choked to the point of being (nearly?) unconscious? I appreciate your obviously well informed medical opinion on the condition of the victim gathered from 15 seconds of  distant video.

Way overblown lol. Guy used a potentially lethal combat technique on a goalie with much less maneuverability than himself. 

"Paul is recovering at home, and his injury status is day-to-day. "

My point was the injury was overblown and sensationalized by the media.

I appreciate your obviously well informed opinion on my medical opinions but you don't need HD to see him moving his arms and legs and you can tell when he goes limp.  He is released shortly after not unlike anyone who's ever done MMA, BJJ etc.

If it was serious he would be at the hospital.  That's all.

As I stated the offender shouldn't be playing organized sports and should be banned from hockey at least.  Was it stupid, potentially dangerous and not something you should ever see outside of an organized martial arts fight?  Of course.

2 hours ago, BigBird79 said:

"Paul is recovering at home, and his injury status is day-to-day. "

My point was the injury was overblown and sensationalized by the media.

I appreciate your obviously well informed opinion on my medical opinions but you don't need HD to see him moving his arms and legs and you can tell when he goes limp.  He is released shortly after not unlike anyone who's ever done MMA, BJJ etc.

If it was serious he would be at the hospital.  That's all.

As I stated the offender shouldn't be playing organized sports and should be banned from hockey at least.  Was it stupid, potentially dangerous and not something you should ever see outside of an organized martial arts fight?  Of course.

There really isn't enough information to make a judgement. Just because he's recovering at home doesn't mean he wasn't at the hospital. For all we know he might have spent the night in the hospital but was determined to be stable so they released him in the morning to go home but is being supervised there. Again, we don't know enough information to make a judgement about the severity of the injury.

Junior hockey is not MMA. There are some things that are consented to when getting on the ice.

Fighting may be consensual in the game at times, but not all physical conduct is within the scope of what is reasonably expected to occur in a game of hockey and it reaches the level of criminal assault - see Brashear/McSorely, Bettuzzi/Moore. Similarly, this act was not within the realm of what is expected conduct. 

Context is key and in no world does a hockey player expect to be choked out.