Elias vs Elias (footage back in 2020)

13 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You can tell in this video that all the Swedes follow their countrymates pretty closely.

Why do they say "Elias" differently...?

I wonder if there's an etymological reason for it or if it's just a personal decision?

44 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You can tell in this video that all the Swedes follow their countrymates pretty closely.

Why do they say "Elias" differently...?

Heteronym work in such a mysterious ways…

I know a person I used to work with, and his name is also Elias, but he pronounced it as “EL-EE-as” (similar to Elliot, only softer). 

Its the same with other names Regina (Ree-Jean-a, Ree-JAIY-na), Eli (E-lie, EL-ee, E-lee), etc… 

• Cheers 1

On 2/1/2024 at 6:18 AM, Miss Korea said:

"yuggling"

Hahah this hit me right in the Swede. I'm only yoking. 

I think the way Lindholms firstname is pronounced would be the way it's pronounced in English and Petey get's the more authentic version. 

Either way, at least to my knowledge the preference from Swedish players is to get the English versions of their names. It's part of the "welcome to the NHL" feeling. Petey was pretty open about wanting it that way from the beginning but Canadians are so nice, still try their best to pronounce it the Swedish way.

Peter Forsberg is a good example, FORCEBURG just sounds so fn cool in comparison.