European Football thread

Arsenal 2  Wolverhampton 0

A nice, efficient win.

Next up, rather quickly,  Chelsea on Tuesday at noon.  With any luck Chelsea will still be gutted by their loss in the FA Cup semi-final and will spare us unnecessary drama. 

4 hours ago, runningback33 said:

Yesterday Arsenal 5 Chelsea 0 

And today:  Everton 2   Liverppool 0

Now if Brighton & Hove Albion can muster up a surprise tomorrow against Man City this will have been a very pleasant three days! 

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2024 at 12:05 AM, UnkNuk said:

And today:  Everton 2   Liverppool 0

Now if Brighton & Hove Albion can muster up a surprise tomorrow against Man City this will have been a very pleasant three days! 

They couldn't 🙂 🙂 City played one of their best games this season against Albion.

I do hope it all comes down to the last game of the season, so I get my money's worth going over there...

10 hours ago, Bonkers said:

They couldn't 🙂 🙂 City played one of their best games this season against Albion.

I do hope it all comes down to the last game of the season, so I get my money's worth going over there...

Have you got tickets for any of the last games?

8 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Have you got tickets for any of the last games?

I have for the last home game of the season at the Etihad, the weather is usually nice. I try to go as often as I can, the flight is less than 2 hours. Maybe 5-6 games per season

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Bonkers said:

I have for the last home game of the season at the Etihad, the weather is usually nice. I try to go as often as I can, the flight is less than 2 hours. Maybe 5-6 games per season

Nice.  I hope you end up bitterly disappointed, of course.    :classic_smile:

ARS

• Cheers 2

Premier League clubs agree in principle to spending cap ahead of June's annual general meeting

Premier League clubs have agreed in principle to a spending cap that will see sides anchor their expenditure to the TV revenue of the bottom club each season.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/premier-league-clubs-agree-in-principle-to-spending-cap-ahead-of-junes-annual-general-meeting/

Arsenal 24-25 Away Kit Leaked

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2023/11/arsenal-24-25-away-kit.html

arsenal%2024-25%20away%20kit%20%281%29.jpg

Arsenal fans fume at 'leaked' away kit as comparison made to Lynx Africa

There has been no official confirmation from Arsenal over the kit, but some fans do not seem pleased when reacting to it on social media. One on X said: "That is f****** awful man."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-away-kit-lynx-africa-32700206?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Mirror+-+Arsenal+FC+Newsletter_newsletter&utm_content=&utm_term=&ruid=9632999d-3fc3-4e65-9bc7-6f23a7b58b07

I dunno.  Looks okay to me.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/report/_/gameId/671389

Manchester City's Erling Haaland struck four times as the club remained on course to win a fourth successive Premier League title with a 5-1 thrashing of Wolverhampton Wanderers on Saturday.

Hours after Arsenal's 3-0 win over Bournemouth, Pep Guardiola's men responded with a resounding victory that pulled them to within a point of the north Londoners at the top of the standings, but with a game in hand.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Allegend said:

Davies scored for Bayern, but Real Madrid scored 2 late goals to win

2-1, 4-3 on aggregate. It will be Dortmund against Real Madrid at Wembley.

Also one finalist for the Europa Conference League is set.  Fiorentina defeated Club Brugge on aggregate.  Villa has to come back down 2 to Olympiacos tomorrow.

The Europa League semis will also conclude tomorrow.  Leverkusen up 2 on Roma going for a treble.

• Cheers 1

The punishment for Everton's other charge was 2 points.  So for all their violations, they had 8 points deducted.  I'm thinking that they could have survived if their original 10 point deduction had not been reduced to 6 points.

I wonder what kind of punishment Man City will get for their 115 violations in the near future.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/premier-league/article/everton-drops-appeal-against-premier-league-points-deduction/

Everton drops appeal against Premier League points deduction

LIVERPOOL, England — Everton has dropped an appeal against a two-point reduction for breaching the Premier League's spending rules, having successfully staved off the threat of relegation.

The club said Friday it will not go ahead with a scheduled hearing to contest the punishment handed down by an independent regulatory commission last month.

Everton said it "will conclude the 2023-24 Premier League season with the two-point deduction remaining in place.”

The relegation-threatened club was docked two points last week for overspending in a three-year spell up to the end of the 2022-23 season. It was a second deduction this season, with Everton having already had six points removed — reduced from 10 following an appeal — for breaching spending limits from 2019-20 to the 2021-22 season.

The deductions had put Everton in danger of relegation but Sean Dyche's team secured another year in the topflight thanks to three straight wins last month, including against archrival Liverpool.

The team is in 15th place with two games remaining, 11 points above the relegation zone.

5 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

I wonder what kind of punishment Man City will get for their 115 violations in the near future.

We get another documentary about a plucky team trying to make its way out of the National League?

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.espn.com/soccer/report/_/gameId/671398

Burnley were relegated from the Premier League after a 2-1 defeat at Tottenham Hotspuron Saturday left Vincent Kompany's side five points from the safety zone with one game remaining.

The result left 19th-placed Burnley with 25 points from 37 games, giving them no chance of moving out of the drop zone as they became the second team to go down after Sheffield United's relegation was confirmed last month.

Edited by runningback33

11 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/report/_/gameId/671398

Burnley were relegated from the Premier League after a 2-1 defeat at Tottenham Hotspuron Saturday left Vincent Kompany's side five points from the safety zone with one game remaining.

The result left 19th-placed Burnley with 25 points from 37 games, giving them no chance of moving out of the drop zone as they became the second team to go down after Sheffield United's relegation was confirmed last month.

Luton town lost today as well.  They are going down as well.  Even if they win and Forest loses next weekend, Luton has a way worse goal difference (more than 10).  So all 3 newly promoted sides went straight back down.

• Cheers 1