European Football thread

All things European football.  League play.  Champions League.   Europa League.  European Championship qualifiers.  Etc.

Poor Everton lost again.  Nice clean sheet for Arsenal's new keeper.  Gonna be a slog for Everton to close out Goodison Park and not open their new digs with Championship football.

Given our form at Goodison in recent years, I was so sure that the news of Moshiri planning to sell his majority stakes in Everton would somehow spark them to yet another victory yesterday.  Thankfully, I was wrong about that.

Big match against PSV on Wednesday and then the NLD shortly after.  Eventful week and hopefully all goes to plan.

The match of the weekend is 2nd vs 4th.  Spurs vs Arsenal.  

Villa vs Chelsea and Liverpool vs. West Ham will be interesting.  

Some big matches of the early season.  As a Gunner, I would love to see Arsenal win and then see Villa, and West Ham get wins if there must be winners in those matches.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Luton got a point.  1-1 draw with Wolves.  They're gonna have to pick up the pace if they want to avoid the worst ever Premier League points total.  1 point every 5 games isn't going to cut it.

FYI it is Derby County with 11 points in 2007-08 in 38 matches.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I was wondering why I wasn't seeing a bunch of posts by the resident Gunners' fans, celebrating a Derby win....

Now I know....:classic_cool: A draw doesn't make anyone happy, but that's a good away result for Spurs.

Also, Newcastle - Sheffield :classic_blink:

A draw is meh.  2 - 2.  At least Arsenal didn't lose.

8-0.  What a drubbing. 

9 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

A draw is meh.  2 - 2.  At least Arsenal didn't lose.

Yes, it's still early in the season.  But Arsenal is now four points back of City.  Their game on October 8th has become, if not a must-win for Arsenal, at least a must-draw.  If City is spotted a 7 point lead I'm not sure that Arsenal can catch them.

Or am I over-reacting?

(Quite a weekend at UnkNuk's Sports Bar.  The Whitecaps lose on Saturday, Arsenal only manages a home draw, the Cowboys lose to Arizona and the Canucks get clobbered.)

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

Carabao Cup (League Cup) yesterday and today.

Few kinda notable results:

Everton beat Villa 2 - 1

Ipswich Town (Championship) beat Wolves 3 - 2 

Chelsea beat Brighton 1 - 0

Newcastle beat Man City 1 - 0

And obviously Arsenal beat Brentford 1 - 0.

• Thanks 1

I was totally unaware of the implosion at Ajax.  Even though the club sees a regular stream of top talent leave the club, they always seem to find new ones and compete at the highest level.  The current Eredivisie table has them on 5 points after 5 matches in 14th.  Two points above the relegation play-off position.  I would say the difference between this and Chelsea is that Chelsea has the ability to buy their way out of their problem.  Ajax's predicament is going to be a lot harder to fix.

• Thanks 1