PGT - Canucks at Bruins - 02/08/2024

I know it's just an off game but i feel horrible because they got shutout by the Bruins. I hope they beat them at home next time and smack them around a little too.

EP and EL had no chemistry, put the lotto line back together.

• chaos 1

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

Interesting. EP has 388 points in 376 games played. 102 points last year  and 65 points in 51 games this year. 
 These numbers don’t jive with what you’re saying at all. 

EP’s point totals this season don’t jive with what I’m seeing from him on a consistent basis. 

Theory #1: The stars (Petey, Hughes, Demmer, Miller, Boeser, Lindholm) were emotionally drained after a busy all-star week, a hard-fought game against Carolina, a lot of travel, playing on the road against an excellent team and a couple of bad breaks early. It was tough to do much but it happens and there is nothing major to worry about.

Theory #2: After spending the season playing like they had something prove and remembering that "they haven't won anything yet", the Canucks finally started to believe the hype and, instead of focusing and playing hard on every play, played a sloppy "entitled" game. Should be a wake-up call and they should come back strong in the next game.

Theory #3: The Canucks did not play that badly but made a couple of bad mistakes that wound up in the back of the net and some bad luck at both ends of the ice. Expect positive "regression" next time out. 

1. The truth is probably a mix of all three.   One way or another the Canucks were due for a game like this after going 12 games without a regulation loss and with only two regulation losses in the past 24.

2. The Blueger line ("third line") was the best line again in the underlying stats and by the eye test. Too bad those guys are not a bit better as "finishers" because they generate a lot of chances (and they don't give up much).

3. Petey had a bad night and his "dash 4" is an ugly stat. He came up "short" on both short-handed goals and did not look good on the 5-on-5 goals. In the past-game interview he was kind of petulant and defensive. I guess that is understandable but I would preferred him to just say "I played like s...t" (or the equivalent). He did say at the end of the interview that he "needs to be better", which was something.

4. Usually the "chasing" team outshoots the other team in the 3rd period. But the Canucks had only 4 shots in the third and were credited with only 1 scoring chance (Boston had 7.)

5. Not a lot more to say. The Canucks were not as bad as the 4-0 score indicates but they were not good. One game has to be the worst game of the year. Let's hope this was it. Looking for a bounce-back in the next game.

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, Believe In Blue said:

No sugar coating it. We shit the bed.

But I was just thinking recently that the team needs some adversity, and now here it is. We don’t want to be the 2018-2019 Lightning

Or the 2022-2023 Bruins

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Who had Elias and Elias as the worst defensive players on the ice on their BINGO card tonight? 

Nucks might need to go back to the Lotto line if they have 1-2 more games like this.  

Turn Suter-Lindholm-Mikheyev into a shut down line. 

1 hour ago, Rob Eh said:

I know it's just an off game but i feel horrible because they got shutout by the Bruins. I hope they beat them at home next time and smack them around a little too.

EP and EL had no chemistry, put the lotto line back together.

It's called letting them think they got you.

Cup finals will be the opposite!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNucks1 said:

all good, we'll get em next time if there is one.

BUT...

Fuck Boston Winning Time GIF - Fuck Boston Boston Winning Time GIFs

Yup, we'll getem in the finals.

The circus show that is the all star weekend was an unneeded distraction. 

Reward for the coach and the boys that went, but a massive distraction with everyone kissing each others asses and say how wonderful they all are.

Takes a bit of the fight out of you, a nice ass kicking by fkn Boston will do wonders to cure that.

Are you psychos all for real we getting rid of Petey now are we? Jesus wept!!!!!   

This is why the hokey gods don't want us to have nice things

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

EP’s point totals this season don’t jive with what I’m seeing from him on a consistent basis. 

I was actually responding to Canuckcurse comment that Petey has classic slumps every 25 games that last for 10-15 games or more. 

If you want to talk about his performance this year, yeah it’s been inconsistent, I’ll give you that. 

2 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Do folks think Tocceht thought Petterssson and Lindholm could not handle the aggressive play the Bruins play? From my chair, The Canucks got out played

by a team that wanted the win more. Nothing to do with the Bruins playing heavy. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Glad I was at work for this one. Yikes. Your goalie needs to be your best penalty killer I guess. Wait, I am getting word. No, those were short handed goals. Oh wow.

Yep embarassing. You can't call yourself an elite team if you give up 2 SHG in one period 

• Sad 1